Harry Reed

Oct 1, 2001
Marcus,
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I have started on some dyno runs with some fluids. It will get done, but this is my busy time of the year. I am at the track at least three day's a week right now.
I am still waiting to get some of the mx-tech fluid.

Thank you,
Harry Reed
Reed Suspension Engineering

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Harry Reed

I am still waiting to get some of the mx-tech fluid.
Has Jeremy sent it off yet?? I'd like to see how it does.

Shawn Mc

Apr 8, 2002
This is absolutely fascinating.

Has anyone tried propylyene glycol in a shock? That stuff is slippery stuff. I dont know anything about it as far as VI, but its boil resistance is higher than water I believe, not that that is a problem.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Hey Shocknut, how about H2O in your sled shocks :confused:

That is the wildest thing. Why do you need to preheat the shock?

I have a buddy who is always trying odd things. He ran ATF in his radiator once. He'll love this one.... I think his shock has power steering fluid in it right now. His theory goes that ATF has friction modifiers to give some grip to the clutches while power steering fluid is a long lived hydraulic fluid that just wants to be slippery for years and years.

Please post the shock dyno charts. :)

Last edited:

svi

Dec 7, 2000
Mace,
We found at a few tracks that the shock was fading from about 1/2 race distance. Temperature testing and dyno testing revealed it was taking about 1/2 race distance for the shock to reach peak temperature and the loss of damping between ambient and peak temp was quite significant. During a test session the rider can be in and out the pits a lot so the shock never builds up sufficient temperature, you set the bike up to how he likes it then come 1/2 race distance it's a whole different set up that's needed, we now preheat the shock and that way are always setting up a hot shock and the damping therefore remains consistant throughout the race.

Top Bottom