Tech Tip "Cylinder prep before instalation"

Wieb27

Jun 30, 2002
I've done a few rebuilds on my current bike. I take a microheight and measure the bore to ensure proper ring size. I inspect the bore for the proper cross hatch. I've rode my current bike for 2 years now and haven't had to hone the bore.

I always use a mild scotch pad to clean the grooves but that's about it. Most importantly be sure the cylinder is clean, not glazed and that you have a good cross hatch on the cylinder wall. Slap her back together and you're back in business.

TechKid

Apr 30, 2002
sorry dale, rings don't "Rotate", they are always stationary. Also, when you buy rings the are perfectly round but the cylinder is not.It is always slightly oval shaped from the rod and piston pushing forward on the bore.

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by TechKid
[ Sorry don't know what happened here
DEA
.I Also, when you buy rings the are perfectly round but the cylinder is not.It is always slightly oval shaped from the rod and piston pushing forward on the bore. [/B]

Last edited:

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Originally posted by TechKid
sorry dale, rings don't "Rotate", they are always stationary. :think: Its been debated that rings do rotate on 4 strokes."But it would be bad news on a 2 smoker" :ugg: Also, when you buy rings the are perfectly round but the cylinder is not.It is always slightly oval shaped from the rod and piston pushing forward on the bore.

Last edited:

Jul 30, 2002
I just rebuilt my topend on my 00rm250 with a wiseco kit,The guys @ wiseco told me not to use a all.oxide ball hone.They said it would chip off the plating around the ports.They sold me nylon bristle hone which seemed to do a real good job!Is there any truth to this or did they just want to sell me there hone?Any insight would be appriciated.

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
Im about due for a top-end rebuild and its my first one.......my dad is an engineer at a local machine shop......should i give him my cylinder and have someone at the shop take care of the ball honing?

If not , what is a ball hone , where can i get one , what does it do , what else do i need , etc etc....details please thanks in advance :|

FDR492

Jun 28, 2002
took the cylinder off , soaked in gas for 20 min , washed out with cylinder cleaner i bought at Kawi shop...took all the gloss off, will it hurt to throw it in the dishwasher?

rocketnz

Nov 10, 2001
why wear out a cylinder with a hone. i race my bike & use the piston to wear out the cylinder! hone the cylinder,don,t think so. :silly:

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
If the cross hatching is worn off then you need to reestablish it with honing. The cross hatching holds oil for lubrication. Without it you run the risk of seizing the rings and/or piston.

I agree that you shouldn’t hone every time that you do a top end unless the hatching is gone.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
regarding the comment on the bore being oval...keep in mind how hard the plating in the bore is compared to the piston and rings! You are correct that this is the area with the most force for sure. Unless the engine has mucho hours on it, I wouldn't think there would be much out of round.

I think the theory with the cross hatching holding oil is debteable...other than that, the bottom line here is compression. If your rings seal well enough to have good compression, this is an indication they are conforming well to the cylinder AND the cylinder is probably holding enough oil to help the compression as well (cross hatch or no cross hatch).

Maybe honing is the best, but not the most convenient thing to do on each rebuild. I can say I have put in a lot of top ends without honing, and the engines always had good power and ran great (shrug).

DEA

Jul 11, 2001
Ponder this theory (as passed on to me) :think:The cross hatch is for oil retention and to seat/break in the new ring/s. Oil retention especially more so on 4 str. since they don't rely on the oil-gas mix that comes through the carb on a 2 smoke. I have also put a few(very few) top ends together without honing "not a good practice" I've also seen several instances where the rings didn't seat in(mainly on 4 strokes that became 4 smokes) due to no or improper honing
Also if you measure a new cylinder it is round from top to bottom and measure a new or old piston" it is tapered" Smaller at the top
If you do use the dishwasher to wash parts in do it on special days-Mothers day,Valentines day etc.you might as well go out with a bang :) Using the sink with Tide laundry detergent usuall dosen't hurt as bad
There's been some good info. & ideas in this thread. :thumb:
Thank
DEA

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Ok RMguy, sure the cross hatching can hold a certain amount of oil film, but the rings are now riding on peaks of metal (which will protrude thru said oil film) unstead of a nice smooth "bearing" type surface. I guess it all comes down to how well the rings and cylinder mate together, and apparently they usually are quite well matched in the bikes I have owned.

grass-digger

Oct 21, 2001
i just want to say thanks to Pete for all the advise i got a new sleeve in my bike and i got it bored and honed and then the shop cleaned it and told me to run it well i decided to give it a try with warm water and dishsoap and the bucket i cleaned it inn was completely full of metal bits after i was threw Thanks :) oh and i allways hone my cylenders before a top end i find its way quicker break inn and better be safe than sorry i guess

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom