nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
I found out today that Ed Kretz Jr. passed away on September 8, 2013. Ed has been living outside of Sedalia, Colorado with his wife Elaine. Ed and his father, Ed Kretz Sr. owned and operated Ed Kretz and Son motorcycle shop in Monterey Park, CA for over 40 years. Ed Jr. and Ed Sr. were both well known for their years of racing Indian motorcycles. I had only known Ed Jr. for a few years as a fellow member of the British Motorcycle Association of Colorado. Ed was 81 years old and died suddenly of congestive heart failure.

Services will be held on Saturday, September 14, at 10:00 AM at:
Epiphany Luthern Church
550 E Wolfensberger Rd.
Castle Rock, Colorado 80109

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
A legend and a true gentleman. RIP Ed.

nachtsheim

Jan 7, 2009
Ed was always ready to help me with my Bonneville endeavor anyway that he could, advise, parts etc. Some of his accomplishments were: Winning the 1955 Peoria TT National, plus top, off-road finishes at Catalina and Big Bear, as well as being the Pacific Coast TT champion three times. Ed was inducted into the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame in 2002, he was also inducted into the Sturgis Hall of Fame in 2012 and received the Trailblazers top honor, The Dick Hammer Award in 2013. Ed had, at his home a shop that he lovingly called his "museum". In it was a collection of bikes that any motorcycle enthusiast would love to have, as well as walls covered in photos of many of the west coast racers of the '40s, '50s and '60s. Several Triumphs, including his old 500 flat tracker, several Indians including both his and his dad, Ed "Iron Man" Kretz, Indian Scout race bikes. Both still sporting their respective number plates, "33" & "38". Ed told me the story of how he one day saw the original gas tanks from his dads Indian Scout for sale on ebay. He contacted the fellow that had them for sale and after some intense negotiation struck a deal and was able to "bring them home". Ed lived for his family but always kept his motorcycles that were so dear to him nearby. Ironically when Ed passed he was on his way to a breakfast/lunch meeting with some of his motorcycle friends and was riding his "new" 1937 Indian which he had just aquired. I'm sure that if Ed had been asked where he wanted to be when the time comes, "riding my Indian" would have been his answer!
Ed was a great husband, father, grandfather and great grandfather as well as being one of the great representatives of the sport of motorcycles. He will be sorely missed!

Top Bottom