woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Getting to be an impatient sucker aint I!!! I just cant help myself, I know that a WHOLE bunch of my riding buds were out there having a RIOT on some totally AWESOME trails and Kadie and I gotta have a fix :p
Woodsy

Fly'nBrian

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 3, 2001
Hey Woodsy, I rode the A-AA section twice today, pre-rider and sweep rider, SWEET! I also rode most of pinecone as a sweep rider and arrow puller.
Lets see I don't remember classes but, Tom Dixon,Don Marsh,Smit-dog, loctite,and Young Ted all got trophys, FredT and father&son got three days of great riding, Napper and I got two great days of ridding in. I think it was a pretty good race. Grand Champ dropped 12 I think.

A hot shower and I am hitting the sack. See ya

Brian

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Well two milestones occured for me this weekend.

The first was I became an OFFICAL card carrying
member of IWAAC which is really cool! (look out Woodsy).
Number two was my first trophy in the "B" Senior class! Had a great ride. The enduro was fun, it was really a timekeeping race. Lots of go fast two tracks, roads, ORV an single tracks. The first section at the clubground was really tight and would have been more fun after getting warmed up not first thing. It was good seeing all the DRN riders. Thanks to LMC for all their hard work! From the looks of the awards the DRN family done well.
The Marsh Race team all done very well, we all brought home hardware.
Me - Third place B Senior
Bryan -Second place A -250 lost 1st by seconds
Ryan - 2nd place B 4-Stroke.
Nancy - 10th place - Pine Cone

DRN'ers
Locktite - Great run, on your way to the Championship
Smit Dog - Good Job, you finished your first one & a trophy to boot.
Farmer Tom - You are rocking keep it up.
Ted - What an inspiration, you rock
Sorry if I missed any one.

Congrats to BlaIr Bersono Overall Champion and for finally finishing a race and not breakin down!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
Woodsy - Getting to be an impatient sucker? I thought you were already there. That you can't help it is not a problem. The IWAAC'ers will take care of that very nicely. Davie behaved well both days too.Two points behind Pat for 4th on Saturday and 282 points for low point finisher on Sunday. Another special weekend in the woods of Michigan.
Young Ted

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Couldn't have asked for better temps for a ride! It was quite dusty at times, which was really scary at times!
The first thing I noticed was when I looked at the route sheet, and it said "Special test first 3.6 miles, then 6 miles of road to get you back on time..." What a hoot that was! I'm typically a bit of a slow starter, but that sure got the blood pumpin right away! I loved it!
The rest was usual Jackpine fare, and I'm at least getting better at sand and whoops! After the A-B split, I almost burnt the check-in, but was able to CREEP in and zero it! WHEW!
I really backed off after that, thinking there would be a hot check somewhere before a tight section before we finished. There was some of the best ORV trail we rode all day in there, but I rode my minute very carefully! Being conservative didn't payoff, as I hit the tight stuff right on time (fun trail that I remember from a couple of years ago) and had to ride my brains out to only drop a 4 in there. Such is the game of Enduro!
I had a lot of fun! Huge props to LMC, I can't imagine what it's like to string all those trails, two tracks and roads together like they do-- great job!
Nice to see all the DRNers working and racing! FredT, fatherandson, CurcuitRider, michman, FlyinBrian, etc made sure those of us racing (Team Marsh, Tom Dixon, SmitDog, LocTite, Young Ted, nzambon, etc) had a good time.
See ya at Upland!

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
You sure are pushy Woodsy...boy take some pain pills will ya?! :nener: But here is the take from the Camp Chaos No Brains Racing Team:

I was a no show for the Jackpine - some rather frustrating last minute mechanical issues left me with no bike. But for the Pinecone, I had arranged to borrow 2Bigs bike so I could ride with my son. Neal actually said I could use his bike for the Jackpine, but I didnt want to push my luck! I thought it awfully generous simply for the Pinecone! Thanks Neal!

I had 3 kids riding with me for the Pinecone. My son Mark took 4th in his class, which locked down his 1st place for the Family series. :yeehaw: (Great Job Mark!) The 17 year old riding with us got slowed down early on behind a slower rider, ended up with a 13th place. He was reluctant to pass - eventually did, dropped 10 to 12 minutes on each of the 1st 3 checks, yet managed to catch up with us before the gas - he found high gear on his ole XR250 rather nicely! The 12 year old with us experienced his first enduro (with very limited experience in single track riding before hand). An encounter with some trees early on took him out of the event just after the first check point. He did say he wants to try the Mini Moose next year - so we didnt totally scare him of yet!

As soon as Mauer found out I wasnt riding the Jackpine, I was drafted for duty on a check. I had fun doing it! Learned a bit as well. We ended up with Fred T and Napper on the last check on the A section. The two of them were worth it for the entertainment value alone! :laugh: Nate, Erin, Nate's girlfriend (nice young lady Nate!), Mark, Mitch (my boys) Andrew and Harley (the other kids with me) all had a great time and we all learned from Fred the proper way to announce time as the minute is coming up....(I wish i could possibly convey it in a message here...) FIFTEEEN SECOONDS>>>>>>>>>>>>> Nate got pretty good at it after a while! We asked one of the A riders that came into the check if he was having fun - he was indeed! He commented that at least that section wasnt "ignorant tight"! He did seem glad to know he was done with the race at that point though.

Before moving onto the check we were assigned to, we hung out near the LMC grounds - that Outhouse section near the start sure was interesting obstacles for the riders to deal with! My kids had a heyday with the many "what ifs" someone crashed into one - some rather disgusting predictions...later we heard someone actually did! There certainly was some TIGHT woods in that 1st 3.6 miles from the looks of it - we watched many riders coming through at just over walking pace where we were watching from near the entrance from Johnson Road. Bark busters were bustin lots of bark! Young Ted came through that same exact spot very smoothly and way quicker than many of the guys ahead of him - a few years of experience coming to bear perhaps?

My digital camera is broken, but we did get some good old fashioned pics using of all things FILM - once we get them processed (I have been spoiled with the instant satisfaction of digital way to long!) I will see if there are any worth posting.

All of the LMC crew once again deserve a big thanks! The kids had a great time - I had a great time in spite of being just miserable not being able to ride the Jackpine.

IWAAC Card Carrying Member! Glad to see Don has joined on as well!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
There are times when too much speed is not good. At the wet spot in the first 1000 feet, two bikes were stuck in the one rut made by the 100 plus previous sheep. Davie said go left and I'll knock down the brush. One of them caught up to me on the road, I never went over 45 MPH, and the other some 14 miles later. Another 5 miles or so he goes by again. He must be related to Woodsy in some way, as he obviously got lost for a while. After that I had the trails to myself, no dust ahead and no one behind to get out of the way for. Two complete Jack Pines in a row for a change, thanks Davie.
Young Ted

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
As always, you folks are AWESOME!! SUPER reports on some great times - Kadie and I feel MUCH better now!! See KTMMike, it wasnt more drugs that I needed after all, it was a GOOD dose of TRAIL TALES that did it. THANKS!!
CONGRATS to all you athletes who brang home the trophies :aj: Nothing quite like the thrill of victory! Also, congrats to ALL who got to even ride those AWESOME trails! Sounds like everyone had a GREAT time (well, maybe not the guy in the outhouse that got hit :yikes: )
Thanks to everyone who helped out up there, without you folks their wouldnt be much to have read here :worship:
Thanks to everyone (including those rascally IWAACers), I am dreamin and steamin :yeehaw:
Woodsy

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
A special THANK YOU to all that helped out this weekend. I recruited KTMMike while we were at the gas for the Pine Cone. I told him if he did not come see me Saturday night, I would come looking for him. It does take a lot of volunteers to make these events work and I appreciate all of the help.
I have not heard the final numbers, but we had over 300 people participate in the Pine Cone (HUGE success) and we probably had 120 in the Jack Pine (it was the third D14 enduro in a row). I saw a lot of smiling faces on Saturday night!
The outhouse section was right behind our trailer. Do you know who is was that fell in that section?
HINT: It was a DRNer, but it was not Magoo.

Mike

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
"The outhouse section was right behind our trailer. Do you know who is was that fell in that section?
HINT: It was a DRNer, but it was not Magoo.
Mike"

That could be a pretty tough one to fiqure out Mike, especially if it was one of those "card carrying IWAACers" - most of those yahoos are headed to the crapper anyway :rotfl: :uh:

OVER 300 in the Pine Cone?? WOW :cool:

YOU GALS/GUYS ROCK :worship:

E T

Apr 1, 2004
The pine cone was pretty fun, although I had a lot of problems... like my chain falling off... the logs got tough after a while but I still had fun. I ended up dropping 66 points :bang: and I took 2nd place. The first place rider had 4 points so it was a pretty close second. I couldve gotten it if I was a little faster at the emergency check... ;) It turns out that I won my class for the series though. :yeehaw:

On Sunday I went with Fred T, Fender, KTM Mike, and Napper to work the check point for the Jackpine. Mike, I must say I couldnt have done better to help these fine people re-live my dad's time calling techniques. :cool:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
:cool: :cool: Hey Erin, way to go! Congrats!!! :cool: :cool:

Aren't you supposed to call "Fred T" "Dad T"?

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
MWEISSEN said:
Hey Erin, way to go! Congrats!!!

Aren't you supposed to call "Fred T" "Dad T"?

I dunno about that Judge Weissen - isnt there some kind of legislation that states "once you as a child have reached 18 years of age and/or surpassed your father in the Series Enduro Points for your given class you are no longer required to call them "Dad T"?? Seems that could be interpeted as Fredt would have had to have won his class to maintain status quo doesnt it?? :nener:
I should have been an Attorney.. I'll take that back, just being Woodsy is hard enough :eek:

CONGRATS there Fredt's daughter on an AWESOME piece of work!!
And Mark Stephenson - TOTALLY COOL YOU TRAIL RIPPER!

Woodsy

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Attorney Woodsy!??? That brings some weird connotations to mind.... no, Woodsy, stay as you are, we'll like you a lot better!

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
I've been trying to figure out why we pick on Woodsy so much. Glad to know it is because we like him. An attorney would not work at all. He'd be lost in the law books library.
Father Nelson

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Got there Saturday early afternoon. I was nursing a double ear infection and was demoralized after Rosalawn because missed a turn and ended up riding the loop after gas twice, which killed my score, and almost killed me. I need to pay better attention to the arrows!

Ok, so back to JackPine. I just was not excited about racing that day, and I almost didn't, but I sucked it up and signed up for B-Vet I started on minute 19 with Bulldog(Paul), also B-vet, and with two A riders Brian Becker and Rob Roy. We got real lucky and there were NO riders on minute 18 before us.

The first section was big fun. Virgin tight gnarly stuff, and real moist. I dumped it in a rutted muddy area when one of the AA riders was passing me. Lyke flew by me in there so fast you'd think I was having a tea party or something. Got through there dropping 10:07 minutes, so the damage was not too severe. Paul only dropped 9 something, so now I was going to be in catch-up mode.

Then there was a bunch of easy roads, 2-tracks, and fast orv trails all the way until 2nd gaas. There were plenty of secret checks to burn you if you were early. The katoom was railing through those fast sandy orv trails and the S12s were sticking great in the soft sand. I dropped one minute twice in the fast stuff, so now I was at 12. Paul matched my first one, but then he dropped 4 minutes, so now I had a 2 minute lead on Paul.

I saw SuperBikeMike at 2nd gas and we were tied at 12 going into the last section, but I was leading in emergeny seconds. Mike had burnt a check by one second, which gave him an extra 2 minutes. This last section was probably going to decide the winner of our class.

The last section is where I really came alive. It was established enduro trail (not orv trail), so it was still relatively tight and narrow, but you could run it at a decent pace and get some rythem going. Paul and I swapped the lead back and forth a few times and I finally kept the lead and Paaul tucked in right behind. We railed through that last section together like there was no tomorrow. We both dropped only 2 minutes in that last section, so now I had 14 for the day.

SuperBikeMike was on minute 16 and we found him chatting on the side of the road going back to staging, so we stopped to compare notes. I told Mike I got him in that section and he said no way I got you. It turns out Mike dropped 4 minutes to my 2, so then I knew I had Mike. Mike could not believe we dropped only 2 minutes in there. We had a VERY good run through that last section. It was a blast!

In B Vet, I took 1st with 14, Paul took 2nd with a 16, and Mike took 3rd with a 16. Mark Becker took 1st A Vet, and Rob Roy took 1st A Senior. Also, Ben from the UP who was camping with us and gassed with us took 1st in A open.

A big thanks goes out to Toni (Rob's lady friend) and Winston, Mark's buddy for running our gas. Everyone they ran gas for won their class!

Needless to say my ears didn't bother me one bit once I got racing. It just goes to show you never know what your day holds for you, but you gotta get your butt outta bed first to find out!

I had a great time riding the JackPine, and riding with Paul, Mark, and Rob. I thought the club did a great job with what they had to work with. I had fun tooling down all those 2-tracks.

I also had the pleasure to talk to Ted and Connie for a few minutes. Ted has a HUGE heart! It was also a pleasure to meet and banter with SuperBikeMike, who is a real cool guy. Mike can give Woodsy a run for his money when it comes to BSing!

From left to right in front: Me(Bret), Ben, Mark, Rob
In rear our awesome pit crew: Toni, Winston

Attachments

• JackPine.jpg
    JackPine.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Hello All - Just back from working on the road and needed to check up on DRN news. I have made good use of the outhouses at LMC for many years, but did not want to use one for traction at the Jackpine. Yes, it was I who fell at the old outhouse. I was riding minute 5, but there was no one on 2,3, or 4 so I was first one through most of the race. When things opened up I carried a little to much speed into the corner at the outhouse and "wiped" my WR. My # did not help me in the first 3.5 miles, but I had no dust for the rest of the day. Great race, I didn't get to "pooped" and took home 2nd place in Sen B.

I was made a IWAAC member at the National in Harrison.

See you all at Upland,
Craig

Superbike373

Apr 11, 2004
(SuperBikeMike was on minute 16 and we found him chatting on the side of the road going back to staging, so we stopped to compare notes. I told Mike I got him in that section and he said no way I got you. It turns out Mike dropped 4 minutes to my 2, so then I knew I had Mike. Mike could not believe we dropped only 2 minutes in there. We had a VERY good run through that last section. It was a blast!)

You guys went in that last section hot!!!!! You had too! I was rippin! Well at least I thought I was. ;) Great time! Bulldog, BBARREL and I had a ball talking trash and bs'ing. I hope to ride with you guys a lot more! Shoot me an email at Superbike373@aol.com when you get a chance.

Tied for second and skunked! I am going harescrambling for a few weeks! See ya all! :cool:

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Superbike373 said:
You guys went in that last section hot!!!!! You had too!

Now let's see here, which one of us burnt a check??

I ain't saying if I was or not, you will never know...

You should ride with us labor day wknd, probably UP.
I'll take off Friday, and maybe Tuesday also.
I'll let you know for sure next week...

team bulldog

Apr 4, 2004
bbarel, sweet write -up ! It was'nt the toughest enduro this year . but, by far the most fun ! I too would like to thank pit crew members Tony and Winston, perfect job on gas and gear, Rob and Mark for leading the trail and showing me even if you have a blown clutch your not out of the race. (becker).amazing on side road repair. And bbarel for hangin in tough on the tight stuff, great job, you rode great. the real bummer is only two enduro's left, that sucks!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Had a great time! Awesome job by the club and all the volunteers. Considering the months and months of planning, obtaining permits, insurance, routing trail, arrowing, scoring, trophies, etc, it was a first-class, fun event all the way around.

Pine Cone
Weather was perfect. Cool temps, sunny skies. The course was laid out and arrowed very well. Lots challenging terrain for the little bikes, which made it a great learning experience for Zach on how to read the trail, pick lines, work on technique, etc. Timekeeping wasn't an issue (dropped 116) for us on this enduro, but that's OK. I think it's good to mix the events up so the kids take away something different from each one. I do know that we're pitching the POS Thor knee guards and getting some beefy hockey knee pads. Each of his 10 or so falls crushed his chicken legs with the side of the barkbusters. The left knee had a half dozen bruise marks and was pretty swollen. What's lacking in technique and speed will be made up for with better gear!

Jack Pine
What a blast! Felt more like a fast and fun trail ride than just struggling to make it to the end before houring out. Another perfect weather day; cool and crisp in the morning, but glad I wore the vented gear. Nothing like 3 miles of snotty trail at the start to get your blood (and arms) pumped! Although that section was a little brutal without a warm-up, it was fun riding around the club grounds - not used to riding with spectators and around outhouses! I was hoping we'd hit that same section on the way back in.

The course was a lot different than I was expecting. While there were some nice twisty ORV sections, the majority of it was overgrown, grassy, narrow 2-track, and sandy, wide 2-track. Fast and fun though! I didn't have any timekeeping equipment, other than the 2 guys on my row. The flaky KTM ODO started flashing during the Pine Cone, and was completely whacked Sunday morning. Half the time it'd display time/mileage, the rest of the time it'd be flashing wheel size and resetting. Although the bike is fairly new, I guess a new battery will fix it. I'm used to just trying to ride as fast as I can before houring out, but next year will be prepared with timekeeping equipment.

Tip of the Helmet
- LMC: Thanks to all the club members, check workers, arrowing crew, sweep riders, trophy donators, scorers, and spectators for a FUN event! While the real tough enduros test your skill, endurance, and push you to be a better/faster rider, an event like the Jack Pine puts the focus back on timekeeping and fun, while still keeping it interesting with a few tight sections. And with events like the family/kids enduro series, it's the only way to ensure the sport grows and continues for the next generation.

- Napper: Thanks for the delivery of the S-12s and the offer to mount them. Looks like you and Julie had more fun in the woods anyway. And a huge thanks for the suspension tuning, and patience for putting up with me. Are the forks next... :ohmy:

- Team Marsh Pit Crew: Thanks to Deb and the girls for running gas and food. Whatever you're paying Don, give'em a raise. :worship:

- CircuitRider and E T: It was nice riding on row #3 while it lasted. Unfortunately it was not to be a timekeeping event for us. It was a great learning experience though on how to cross logs, pick lines, alternate routes, etc. I'll take some of the blame though - we got up pretty late the night before and Zach only had about 6 hours sleep.

Misc
- I don't know how much flexibility D-14 has in picking dates for the enduro series, but it would sure be nice to spread out the events a little more evenly. There was 1 in April, then nothing for 3 months, then 4 events in a 6 week period July/August. Unless Moose starts paying huge contingency money to slow C-riders, I can't justify getting away that many weekends in a row with the Pit Boss at home.

- The first check after second gas... Long, straight grassy two track. Coming up to a check a little hot, saw the flip card at 34, I was on 35. Heard someone call out "15 seconds" (or is this a running joke?), so I start creeping about 25' away, feet up on pegs. I kept creeping, trying to time it so I get there right after the card drops. I get within 5'-7', and the check working walks up to the bike and writes down 34. Now I didn't notice exactly where the flag was, but if the front tire is still behind it, feet are on the pegs, and you're still in motion, can a check worker do that?

- Not that'd I'd do it, but found out you can move yourself up a class. I though you had to either accumulate 100 district points, or they automatically bumped the top 5. There's too much competition in Senior B anyway, but the Masters class looks compelling... :think:

- When I grow up, I want a factory rig like Nick Z. Heck, his commode is probably larger than my 6x12 enclosed. :cool:

- Fender... nice girlfriend! Proof that bringing home the hardware really does get you the trophy girl... Good for you she's too old for Lenny.

- The 'C' Hi-Point guy wasn't even old enough to shave - some enduro legacy named Flegel. Dropped only 9 points! Somebody bump that kid into the A class, pronto.

- Stood in the tech inspection line with a senior Scharphorn (Carl? His nephew runs Lake Cycle). He's been running the Jack Pine since the 1940's!!!

- The week before the event, Zach was asking me where all my trophies were from when I was a kid. I told him that I never won a trophy before, but did have some shiny ribbons from the "very competitive" 6th grade track team ( :) ). Unbeknownst to me, Zach had then dug into my tools, scrap wood pile, and stain, and built a hand-made, custom Jack Pine trophy. He hid it in his backpack on the way up north, and presented it to me after the enduro on Sunday. I won big time that day.

A Few Pictures...
http://community.webshots.com/album/179053113OZVyUW

Last edited:
Top Bottom