Tool share Tool share Tool share

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
To set the scene I'm drunk...been a good night! and i suspect my natural conservationist leaning is kicking in but...

So may threads in this forum relate to " how do I remove/repair/replace this particular part"

I understand that some jobs require a purpose made tool, with the correct tolerance and material strength to perform the required task, no excuses. But the likelyhood is there is someone living within a few miles of everyone with the correct purpose made tool for th job, that probably only gets used once or twice a year. As an example a blind bearing puller, or crankcase separator/closer jig.
Has anyone had any sucess (hic!) in setting up a tool sharing co-operative for bikers (off and on roaders)
Libraries seem to manege it, women seem to manage it with baby sitting circles etc...
Comment please....Sully UK

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
interesting idea- here 's how it could work- everyone registers what special tools they have and their location- the lendee identifies the tool they need, sees 25 guys who have one, scans the list for the closest/preferred one, sends the guy a PM, if the lender agrees then the lendee sends the lender payment via paypal for the value of the tool (agreed upon beforehand) plus shipping costs-once the lender has the paypal reciept, he (or she) sends the tool to the lendee, who happily monks on his ride, then returns the tool posthaste prepaid to the lender, who then paypals the guy back his money less maybe 5% for waear & tear

non returned tool, the lender keeps the money and buys a new one- late returning a tool you get kicked out of the group. - don't refund someones money, you get ostracized from the group.

Could work with car repair tools- ideally things that can be shipped UPS in small boxes - ideal for motorcycle tools.

Other ideas ?

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Sully and ScottS both have a good idea. I'm just not sure it would work. There are plenty of home mechanics out there that have a wide range of tools. You could get some of them to sign up for your program, but the majority might not be willing to go along with it. The mechanics out there are in a different boat. They never know what bike is next, nor do they know the nature of the repairs it may need. So shipping out a given tool may put them and the shops they work for in a bind. Paying for the tool is not the only issue. Even though "Joe Blow" may have payed me, that dosen't mean I can just go down to the local Ace hardware and pick up a new one. Most need to be ordered, and that takes time. Time becomes very relevant when "Little Johnny's" bike is not ready for race day because the mechanic loaned his tool to Joe Blow. My point is, as a mechanic, I just can't loan out my tools for a week or more. It's not good for me, my customers, or my business.

:clue: BUT, I am always willing to help a fellow motorcyclist in need. If you live near me and need something, feel free to e-mail me and I'll do my best to help you out.

You could try to make a list of mechanics and home mechanics who feel the same.

Just my .02, YZ165

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
That is a great idea. I had a member offer me that deal on a 43mm fork oil seal driver.

Like YZ165, it won't work for any professional mechanic. It would be great for the home mechanic however. I know I have four Kawasaki special tools that I hardly ever use. Most of these odd-ball tools are used very little.

Short of starting a tool loaning group, you could just post a "Help Needed" post saying you will pay full price for the tool, plus shipping both ways, if someone will let you borrow tool X. Unfortunately, some odd-ball tools are less expensive than shipping both ways.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
good point, the shipping goes a long way to buy the tool if is like 30-40 bucks-

oh well

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
At least Sully has an excuse- he's drunk . Me , I have no idea what is wrong with me.

I guess I was thinking about $200 case splitters etc

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Oh, no! I think it is a great idea. If someone was local and had those that I could use on a 100% deposit, I would pee on myself, then drive over to borrow them.

This idea wouldn't work on just any tool. Taps, dies, grinding bits and other wearable items would be out of the loop, I suppose.

ScottS

Dec 29, 1999
especially at the rate you are going through them, eh ?

ever get your bearing out ?

JasonWho

Apr 10, 2002
Bearing: No, not yet. I bought a Dremel grinding bit. It is a long, thin, diamond coated bit. I am about 95+% of the way through one side of the outer race. The diamond bit is great, but it is already completely wore out. I think the key is to start out with a cheap bit, then go for the diamond at the end. The battery on the little grinder is wore down again, and so am I. I will fight again this afternoon.

I will win, though!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I need the following:
Inner race remover / installer
HD 34902-B
mainshaft primary race remover
HD 34902-A
transmission pulley tool
HD 41184
mainshaft lock nut wrench
HD 94660-37B
maindrive gear remover & installer with maindrive gear bearing installer
HD 35316-A
maindrive gear needle bearing & seal installer
HD 37842-A

I will gladly pay shipping both ways as well as a rental fee.

Top Bottom