nc99kdx200

Jul 20, 2003
I am in the middle of a top end rebuild and ran into a situation I'm not too sure about. Before I go further: I have a shop manual on order, but my parts came in before the manual. I should have waited, but I couldn't help myself.

My bike is a 1999 KDX 200. Basically, I just want to be sure that I understand how to set the exhaust valve up properly (like it was). Now that everything is clean, I see that there is a little white line on the right hand side (kick side) valve gear. However, I have no clue how it was originally positioned. Honestly, I plead ignorant to how this whole mechanism works. I wish I knew, but I'm mechanically challenged. I can look in the cylinder and see that as I rotate the gear forward and back that the exhaust valves open and close. I hope I'm describing this correctly. If anyone can make sense of what I'm trying to say, I would certainly appreciate the help. Thanks.

hollajd

Jul 27, 2003
Just wondering if anyone responded to you about the correct position of the exhaust valves? I bought a 2003 kdx200 yesterday and accidentally rotated the exhaust valves when doing the tear down to check for burrs. If anyone has any advice on how to correctly orient them before head re-assembly, I would greatly appreciate it.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Your referring to the gear that sits on the actuating (up from the clutch cavity) rod?

At rest, that rod will be wanting to hold the teeth on the attached piece such that when the rod is actuated there is complete engagment.

Take off the slotted cover on the LH side of the engine. Use a socket to manually activate the KIPS. While doing that, observe the engagement of the gears on the RH side. It will be pretty obvious if something is incorrect. You'll be able to tell by the gear engagement.

While you're at it, with the pipe off look up into the cylinder to verify that the drums are rotating in sync to reach the 'open' position at the same time and return to the 'closed' position when you let off on the LH nut. Also, the main valve (or flapper) will raise upon activation and return to rest at it's lower limit of travel.

There is a note on CDaves' site under 'manual correction' that...well, corrects the manual. Make sure you have the subport drums in the right position left/right-wise.

Top Bottom