dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
im looking to getting some tranny oil for my cr80, im not sure what weight fluid to get, and a good brand.
thanks

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Go to Wal-Mart and get some SuperTech 10w40.

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
use some 10/40 that does not contain friction modifiers. castrol GTX works good. Just remember that the best thing is to change it VERY often.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
thanks, i went over 2 the honda place today looking for some bars and a filter, and i asked them what to use, and i got some 80w/85w (i think its a different type rating) honda tranny oil and i changed my oil and replaced it with about 3/4 the bottle, it runs alot smoother and shifts easy.
my old stuff was like a lighter black color (but wasent leaking coolant)

trout

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2003
dan4011 said:
thanks, i went over 2 the honda place today looking for some bars and a filter, and i asked them what to use, and i got some 80w/85w (i think its a different type rating) honda tranny oil and i changed my oil and replaced it with about 3/4 the bottle, it runs alot smoother and shifts easy.
my old stuff was like a lighter black color (but wasent leaking coolant)

Find out the correct capacity to use, perhaps someone here can tell you. You do not want to use too much or too little. A good thing to buy is a "ratio-rite" to use to measure. And remember to chage it often.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Type F transmission fluid is a very good choice. Very inexpensive too.

dan4011

Sep 12, 2004
next to the filler cap it says 600cm2 i dont know if thats the amount to use or the total capacity, does anyone know how many ounces should be used?
also, what should i do with the old oil, i have about a half bucket of old oils and chemicals i dont know what to do with.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Per the service manual, 4 stroke oil or 10W-40 is recomeneded, along with the Honda Trans Oil. as far as how much, here is what they say.

Run the engine for 3 mins then shut off.
Support bike on level ground.
Remove oil filler cap from right side engine
Remove oil drain bolt under engine.
reinstall plug, torque to 18FT lbs
Pour in 550 cm or .58 qt or oil.
there is a check oil screw also, if you want to just add until it starts to leak out. Screw is on right side of engine, just above the front tip of the rear brake, it is a screw/bolt head, not just the regular bolt head.

Mike

smartini

Jan 4, 2005
Whats the problem with having too much oil. Thats why we have the overflow tube to get the excess oil out. If im wrong let me know. Honda 80w/85w works good for me.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
That's a vent tube, NOT an overflow.

Too much oil leads to foaming. Foamy oil does NOT lubricate well.

Also 80W or 85W is gear oil. You don't want to run gear oil in your tranny. Yes, I know it has gears. It wasn't designed for that lube in the first place.

Most any 10W40 will work fine, as long as it's not friction modified. Type F ATF is also another ideal choice as it is very close in viscosity to engine oil and the additive package in Type F is designed for friction materials much like those found in a motorcycle wet clutch. And it's relatively cheap so you can change it often.

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
mtk, i think he picked up the honda tranny oil in the red bottle, which is perfect for tranny's. Open up the drain hole on the side of the engine to get the perfect height.

Erik

Top Bottom