Transmission oil, What is everyone using?

cb2honk

Jul 25, 2006
I just got a 2006 ktm 300 xc-w. I was wondering what people with similar bikes are using for transmission oil?? If you have any knowledge you would like to share that would be great!

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
castrol type f atf

DavidVolk

Jul 26, 2006
I have a rekluse in my 525 SX, and after having problems starting it in gear, I called Rekluse and they told me to run Shell Rotela T 15/40 Diesel oil. Diesel oil? I asked. YES! And, I have to tell you, it is cheap, and it works well with a wet clutch.

cb2honk

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks for all the feedback! What do you guys think about Maxima MTF 75wt,80wt,85wt or Castrol atf type f. The reason for my questions is I just want what's best for my bike. The manual recommends Motorex 15-50, but i'm not sure if I want to use a motor oil. Thanks for your help, I'm kind of new to the dirt bike world.

billtx

~SPONSOR~
Dec 22, 2002
You will be fine with Maxima. i sue the 80W in my 200SX.

You can always call the Maxima tech support line with questions, they are very helpful.

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
cb2honk said:
I just want what's best for my bike.
Good luck finding an answer for that... Here's why ATF type F is best for me:
It's cheap.
I can buy it just about anywhere that sells anything.
I only use my oil/gearbox lube for 2-6hrs(or one race) before I dump it. Since it's so cheap I can afford to do this.
Type F ATF makes my KTM's clutch feel better than all gear oils/dino motor oils/syn motor oils/syn ATF that I've tried.
It made my KTM's tranny seem to shift smoother than all the other stuff I tried.
Did I mention that it's cheap!

I strongly believe that gearbox oil choice is much more a matter of personal preference than anything else. Just go to the auto parts store and buy a couple quarts of all of the following: DEX/Merc ATF, TypeF ATF, syn motor oils, dino motor oils, gear lubes. Try them all out and see which one makes your bike's clutch action and shifting feel the best for you. None of the above oils will damage your gearbox or clutch. Some will even argue that the "Energy conserving" oils are fine to use, but I won't go there...

Just remember this: Cheap clean(fresh) oil beats dirty(old) expensive oil anyday. Be it $2 a quart ATF or $10 a quart "dirtbike specific" oil.

cb2honk

Jul 25, 2006
Thanks alot, I think I'm going to go with atf type f, first, and see how it works. I'm always up for cheap as long as it works. Thanks again.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I run Type F ATF in my gasser (also has hydraulic clutch so clutch drag is dependent on tranny oil). It is my preferred oil, it gives better feel than expensive motorcycle specific transmission oils and is waaayyy cheaper. A quart costs me $3!

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
For five years my '98 Gasser ran on a 50/50 blend of Type F ATF and 10W-30 motor oil. Usually the cheap stuff from Walmart. That bike is still on the original clutch. Was running this blend in my '01 Gasser until I installed the autoclutch. The clutch will squeal when using a lot of throttle in too high of a gear. Tried some more expensive oils, including 5W-40 Rotella T. Finally found a 50/50 blend of Type F ATF and 20W-50 motor oil eliminated the squeal.

Ud Luz

Jan 4, 2002
I use GM's AutoTrac II transfer case fluid in my Montesa trials bike and my 200exc with the Rekluse. I've found it to be by far and away the smoothest engaging, longest lasting lube available.

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
On my 03 250 SX, I use Mobil 1 85w gear oil, Mobil 1 15w50, or Castrol Syntec 15w50. which ever I find the easiest.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I also have used TypeF ATF in 2t's for years.

I will not use Castrol though....
The reason being that every bottle of it I have had smells as if it is oxidized. A heavy gear oil smell. No other type F that I have had has ever smelled like that.

I know it may be just a quirk with the components of the oil, but I simply don't like oil that smells acidic.
I also use the ATF in my forks and hydraulic clutch. I normally can tell when my fork fluid is toasted by the smell. Can't do that with the Castrol.

I have also used full synthetic Mobil 1 ATF with great success, but it is simply too darn expensive.

No matter what you use, change it out often. If $10 a quart moto specific oil causes you to wait for awhile before changing it, don't use it. Go with something that you can afford to change out every ride or three.

If I were not going to use ATF, I wouldn't hesitate to use Shell Rotella T 15w-40, Mobil Delvac 15w-40, or Chevron Delo 400. All can be had at WalMart for great prices.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
I used top use Dextron ATF.... It's very inexpensive, and when the sightglass indicates the red color was going away I changed it...
I fell into a deal and bought 36 cases of bel-ray gear saver oil so I haven't needed to seek out any oil lately.

Last edited:

cb2honk

Jul 25, 2006
I just got back from a week in the black hills. I tried the castrol atf type f. It felt pretty good and it was somewhat smooth. I changed it and put in the maxima mtf 85w. The difference was night and day. The maxima was much smoother, I could not believe the difference. I talked to my local bike shop and the owner there said he uses maxima mtf in all his bikes and says he loves it. I know why now. And I found it for a price of about $6.49/liter, which isn't too bad of a price. Thanks for everyones help!

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
For the gasgas, shell rotella 5w40 synthetic works very well and is reasonably priced (they usually stock it at walmart). The additive pack is well suited to a gearbox - anti-foam and lots of zinc.

jeff
GasGas Riders Club
www.gasgasrider.org

motodr9

Sep 1, 2003
I like Shell Rotella T 15/40. I used to use Maxima 85w. I didn't notice any difference in operation with any of my bikes between the more expensive Maxima and the Rotella T. The nod goes to the inexpensive oil. Whatever you use, just change it often.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Call me old fashioned,

cheapskates..........oil is cheap and gearboxes aren't so why go cheap when a litre of Silkolene full synth' is £10 and lasts for a long long time and is designed to the job?

that's my 1810 cents @ current exchange rate ;)

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
COMBEN said:
Call me old fashioned,

cheapskates..........oil is cheap and gearboxes aren't so why go cheap when a litre of Silkolene full synth' is £10 and lasts for a long long time...

Because gearbox oil dosen't last a long long time. I'd never run oil more than a race weekend, or about 4 hours of trail time without changing it.

For argument's sake, lets assume that you can get 10 good hours before your $10 a quart dirtbike specific oil breaks down. Not only do you have oil circulating in the bike, but a contiually increasing quantity of particulate matter is also accumulating in the oil. That's why I change it so frequently. Not because the oil dies over the course of one race weekend, but because every time I use the clutch I am putting more and more contaminate into the oil.

If you can afford to change $10 a quart oil frequently, good for you(I can't), but don't assume that just because it is made for dirtbikes, that you can run it forever.

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
yes, see what you are saying but this may help?

Hi and yup,
know what you are saying here and I'm as tight as a camels rear end in a sandstorm, really well, truely, 100% but here is my post from recent on Just KDX, not a cuss but just what I found...when I was a KDX-220R boy...yes she was from the land of the noodle but hey, should hold up for the land of the durum wheat, the pigs trotter or the ooh so good pallela, or meatballs if ya like swedes:-

Silkolene Synthectic gearbox oil:-

Realised yesterday afternoon that I have ran 6 hours (2X 3 hr hare and hounds) and 2 visits to the MX track on the same gearbox oil, ooops! Last night I drained the oil, I had used some Silkolene full synthetic, not cheap @£10, but I had full wallet at the time and wow, that oil was a good as the day I put it in, no aluminium shiney bits or contamination and this clutch has been xtreme 'fanned'!
I then found out the spare bottle of Silk' Syn' in the back of the van had punctured itself on a spare sprocket and so I used some ATF I use in our BMW's. I went for a quick smoke around....hmm real hard to find neutral at a standstill when hot, b*!gger, so I'm off to get some more Silkolene Synth'

So, credit where it's due when a great product's found, when it comes to gearbox oil I think you do get what you pay for and for the use I have had, that 'expensive' oil was 'cheap' in the long run.

hope this helps someone

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom