Trick question for the RFS experts - Eric?

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Hi all

Here is a trick question.

Does the fact that the RFS engine is a low quantity wet sump engine make prolonged wheelie's unsafe? Since the oil quantity is only 1.25 litres, could the steep angle of the bike during wheelie's cause one or both of the oilpump intake passages to get exposed?
Could the oilpressure drop as a results of the oilpumps sucking air?

Supermotard/dualsport guys - anyone tried a km. or longer wheelie's on a RFS? If so, any problems?

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Thats a good question. I don't recall the design of the sump pick-up the last time I had one of those engines apart. Try posting your question in the KTM forum. There are a lot of regular KTM mechanics in that forum and they would probably know. Good luck!

Jo - EXC 520

Dec 17, 2000
Hi,

doing looooooooooong wheelies with a RFS isn't a problem. I think even the manual mentions this.

However, wheelies over 100 m with a KTM LC4 is very bad. This engine will suck air.

Jo

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Thanks guys

Jo - Thanks for the info. I must have a different manual from you since I can not find a single word on the subject. My bike is a EXC 520 '02. It seems to be meant for the US marked so the manual might be different from the euro version (My bike has a "US legal spark arrestor" markings on the muffler). You think the euro manuals say that wheelies are safe on the RFS? I would be VERY grateful if you would be kind enough to check for sure, since I'm a bit worried.

Is your bike street legal (or super-motard)? If so, have you been pulling long wheelies ( km +) on your bike? The 520 must be excellent for this use, as the engine is not lacking power/torque. Is super-motard big in Belgium? If so, do you know of any good super-motard sites?

Jo - EXC 520

Dec 17, 2000
Snullia,

You're right about the manual. It's not in the manual, but I read it somewhere at the homepage of SOMMER KTM GERMANY . Also lots of comments about long wheelies in the German OFFROADFOREN

Marcus (KTM Club Germany) writes this HERE (German language)
Also know a guy who rides his wheelies as long as possible ( 1 km or more is no problem for him) His bike is a year 2000 model.

My bike is street legal. I ride about 85% offroad and 15 % street. No problems. I have a 2001 RFS 520 (since October 2000)

I personally am not good in doing long wheelies ... :(

Supermotard in Belgium exists, but is not that big here. I do not know any (Belgian) supermotard sites.

Jo

snullia

Oct 26, 2001
Jo - Thanks a lot. Excellent info. Since I am totally unable to understand the German language I will try to post to this German board in English. I'm real interested in what they have to say about the subject. Thanks again man :moon:

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I don't think any manufacturer will tell you that wheelies are safe. Remember that both oil pumps are located near the center of the engine, long and short oil screens. I can see where they MIGHT suck air during a long wheelie where the oil runs to the back of the engine.

dstktmusa

Jan 5, 2001
I read the paragraph twice and found no mention of RFS or racing four stroke. The LC4 and RFS models place their pumps in the same general location (center of engine) it makes sense that the oil would run to the transmission area of my RFS and away from the oil pumps. Maybe they meant 2-stroke and 2-stroke racing (SX)

Top Bottom