Trick To Repair Fork Tube Scratch?

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
Well my son continued to ride his YZ250 after one of the front fork guards broke off, and sure enough now he has a nice little scratch on the chrome inner tube. Its high up enough to run in and out of the seal, and soon after started leaking.

We're breaking down the forks now to change the seals and clean them up a bit. My question is how can we repair this without sending them out for expensive re-chroming? The're not dented or dinged, just lightly scratched. We already started polishing the spot with jeweler's rouge and its helping a bit but I think we really need to fill the slight void that the scratch has made, or sure enough the seal will blow soon again. We're trying to think of a substance that will stick to the metal and that we can polish into the scratch to make it smooth again. Has anyone solved one like this before. I'm thinking of trying a light dab of clear metal epoxy to fill the scratch and then polish it more as the epoxy begins to dry - this might produce a smooth transition area for the seal to slide. The scratch couldn't be more than .3mm but I know it will mess with the new seal.

Any other ideas? Thanks!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You won't be able to fill it...been there, done that. Try taking a fine grit sharpening stone and smooth the scratch out. You are on the right track with the jeweler's rouge but the stone will get you there quicker. Make sure you don't make it too smooth. Try to match the surface finish of the rest of the tube. The trick is to make a smooth transition into the scratch--not actually fill it. Sneak up on it until the seal stops leaking. It doesn't take much to go right through the plating so take your time. I've been able to remove enough of a scratch to stop leaking but if it's too deep you'll need a new tube.

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
Do those stones come in any particular grit rating? or is 'fine' kind of it? I'll check around today. BTW the scratch already appears to have penetrated the plating but it doesn't feel very rough. I hope we get lucky - Thanks

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
Well, we tried this last weekend, and so far so good. Was able to get that area of the fork tube very smooth. Thanks again!!

schmanman

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 9, 2007
well, I know you've repaired it, but I'm wondering if you rubbed some wax or something into the scratch, do you think it'd help?

SteveTroi

Dec 6, 2006
We just polished it with 1500 grit and left it to natural causes and its still holding up nicely. To be specific, the clear nail polish came off completely when lightly rubbing even with the 1500. We then used some 'nail mender' that my wife had lying around and that was a tougher cure... so far so good!

Top Bottom