duke

Oct 9, 1999
About 4 weeks ago while trail riding, I saw a guy camped not far from me who was riding his Gas Gas trials bike. I watched the guy practice his manuevers and was impressed with his balance. When he returned to camp I asked if he competed in trials. He said "no", that he generally he races MX. He stated that trials has taught him two very important components to controlling a bike, balance and body posistioning. He showed me a few drills and insisted that by practicing them a little bit on my bike (250 EXC) my ability to negotiate any turn and/or obstacle would be much easier and with less effort. I took his advice and some time every riding day. I even practiced a little in the street when the hours were accomodating to the neighbors. I cant tell you have much more control with less effort I have acheived. The only other person that I personally knew who trained on a trials bike was a neighbor who raced speedway in the seventies. I didnt think the techiniques would benefit me. How wrong I was. Its fun and a great enhancer to your other riding.

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
And?........you can't just leave us hanging, what are these drills? I do some trials stuff on my mountain bike just to mess around, but I'm intrested in the real thing for x-training and for the fun of it.

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
That's exactly the reason I bought my trials bike, to train for off-road racing. And yes, it does help alot.

Drills: Go as slow as possible while standing. Practice sharp turns, circles, and figure 8's. Don't look at your front fender, look where you want the bike to go. Learn to stop and remain on your pegs balancing the bike. Start, stop, start, stop (when you get good, you'll be able to do a nose wheelie to stop and then wheelie of the start). Work on throttle clutch response.

duke

Oct 9, 1999
"Lemming" pretty much approximated what I was told. It really makes your cognizant of how the bike reacts to input. The emphisas being on rider input via foot pegs and handle bar preassure. You can check out a web site called Trialsaction.com They seem to hae a decent forum on basic practice drills. The guy who offered the pointers. Its a great way to warm up before a race or fast trail ride. Upon restropsect, i recall Gary Baily offering a similar view, advocating that MX riders practice similar drills on natural terrian areas to become in tune with their bike

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
im looking forward to getting into racing, all i do is trail ride and ive been doing the "drills" you describe forever. when someone said to look ahead and not at the fender i thought they were crazy. OF COURSE you look ahead..how can you ride a bike without looking at whats coming up next? racing is going to be a very different experience from what i read on these forums

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i can do the nose wheelie to wheelie on my bicycle like its second nature, also wheelies down stairs and i am the king at stopping with the feet on the pedals. all this is on my bicycle, but i am a complete loon on a dirtbike. i am going to try that start-stop-start stuff, it will surely help me.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
a trials bike is a very light 2-stroke that people use to go over obstacles like vertical walls taller than they are, and stuff like that. they have the best balance that any human can accomplish, or i think so anyway. i have personally watched a trials match back when i was 10 or 11 where some guy popped a wheelie on a diamondplate circle 3 or so feet wide, somehow hold the bike perfectly still in a wheelie and bounce/turn 90 degrees to his left and go on to the next obstacle!
basically a trials bike is a bike built for an obstacle course for dirtbikes.

Top Bottom