motoyoyo

~SPONSOR~
Apr 9, 2002
Has anyone else experienced problems with the TTR125 rear sprocket mounts coming loose or breaking out the hub? It seems like the bolts and sprocket configuration on this bike is very old fashioned. I seem to remember seeing this type of setup on trail bikes in the early seventies. They use straight studs with fold up locking tabs with nuts. I have already had one hub break apart and always have to tighten the bolts for every ride. It sure would be nice to see a conventional modern setup with conical seat thru bolts and tapered holes on the sprocket like you see on even the XR100. Has anyone here addressed this problem yet with a new type hub and sprocket?

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
YES!!!

my bolts came loose and totally ripped my hub apart, and it cost me $157 to fix.:ugg: that was even after the dealer's own personal discount! he is a nice guy and since it wasnt anyones fault he gave is own discount for parts and labor.

i just tighten the bolts with the red Loctite and took a marker and marked the bolts, and i periodically check them and see if they have moved.

motoyoyo

~SPONSOR~
Apr 9, 2002
Thanks for the sympathy with this problem. I just finished inspecting the hub again and when I retightened the nuts, one of the studs started to pull out. I had the typical response and quickly stopped tightening, and pretended that I was imagining it. I'm not expecting great things from the hub this time around. I checked with BBR and they have not heard enough complaints yet to look into a new solution yet. For now I will probably have to look at putting in thru bolts instead of the threaded studs that are stock. The reason they always have to be retightened is because they are constantly in a state of being pulled out. Really lame setup for such a nice bike otherwise.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Yes it is a problem. Afer I got delivery Ichecked the TTR over and pulled off the sprocket and removed the studs and loctited them in with the Green 601 and then put on new lock tabs and then the nuts with blue loctite. Didnt have a problem but nearly all other TTR's that I have seen have loose studs and nuts and some have destroyed the hub. Owners are usually pretty pi$$ed. Its a early YZ80 hub but with different spoke pattern ( That was the one that I saw in a wreckers ). I knew they were a problem as my GTMX80 and early YZ80B had same problem. Gee I'm getting old...... One other big problem is spoke tightness, they come loose from the factory and the wheel explodes. Nice and expensive. Now at the tracks there is a lot of friendly discussion with the "new" owners about things that must be done before a TTR125 is raced.

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
I just did the same thing last week. I have a 2001 but it looks like the 2002 hub is a little beefier so I will be replacing the hub and sprocket with 2002 parts and see what happens.

derekk87

May 29, 2002
i had the same problem we replaced the studs with bolts and we braded the ends, it held without a problem but then the spokes all started breaking and we replaced them twice until i finally got a new yz and my sister got the ttr, she just putts around the yard so we havent had any problems in a while.

Top Bottom