HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
My son has had a CR85 since December and we've probably replaced the tube in the rear tire 5-6 times and the front 3 or 4. Is there anything you can do to prevent this or that could be causing this? Anyone else have this experience. He races in the beginner class and a good friend of his who rides in the C class seems to have his tubes last 3 times as long.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Have you checked inside the rim for any rough, high, or sharp spots? Any loose spoke nipples? Is the inside of the rim lined with rubber or at least a couple layers of duct tape?
Also are you using heavy duty tubes they are usually well worh the couple extra bucks

hks308

Mod Ban
Jun 4, 2006
i just got over the same thing that your having,......... and what a b*tch your having, i know how it feels, but i think i figured it out:

1. make sure you don't have and studs and "ice grips"
2. make sure you buy a real think inner tube (thats key)
3. if that doesn't work, buy a new tire (thats what i had to do)

and ever since then.............................never had a flat.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
oldguy said:
Have you checked inside the rim for any rough, high, or sharp spots? Any loose spoke nipples? Is the inside of the rim lined with rubber or at least a couple layers of duct tape?
Also are you using heavy duty tubes they are usually well worh the couple extra bucks

Thanks, I'll check out all of that. It's been a pretty even between the front and back tire but who knows maybe the cause is the same on both tires?

hks308 said:
i just got over the same thing that your having,......... and what a b*tch your having, i know how it feels, but i think i figured it out:

1. make sure you don't have and studs and "ice grips"
2. make sure you buy a real think inner tube (thats key)
3. if that doesn't work, buy a new tire (thats what i had to do)

and ever since then.............................never had a flat.
Both tires have been replaced so I guess I can rule that out?
What are "ice grips"?

Thanks for the help!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I imagine he's referring to picks ice racers use. If it's spread between both front and rear I would start to suspect too little tire pressure? We usually run 14 psi on average.

hks308

Mod Ban
Jun 4, 2006
they are like little studs that people add to the outside of the rear tire and it grips to ice and snow better and usually dirt. but those can pop your inner tube.

Top Bottom