palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
One of the brass inserts in my gas tank has come loose and is spinning with the screw. I can't remove the screw by turning so I started pulling thinking (hoping) that the insert would pull out. No luck.
I'm sure at least one of you has run into this, and has a magic word that I can say to fix it.
I all seriousness, what should I do next??

Matt

andrew

Aug 7, 1999
It has happened to one of mine too. Fortunately I can still get the tank out, so I haven't done anything about it. Wouldn't mind as tip tho...

Scottyx

Feb 21, 2002
hey guys! seems like we have all been in the same boat! i had that problem but i tore off the rubber spacer and just gripped the insert with a pliers or vice grip and turned the bolt out. good luck though, it took me about an hour of struggling to complete my mission!
keep it dirty!!!!!

palmer69

~SPONSOR~
Jan 1, 2003
The screw that's spinning is on the left side rad shroud nearest the seat. There is no rubber grommet on that screw unfortunately.

Hey Scottyx, you were able to pull the insert out of the plastic? If so did you attempt to epoxy it back in? That was my plan. Pull the insert out, remove the screw, clean the crater that was left in the tank and the threaded insert, fill the crater with JB Weld, grease the screw and screw it in the threaded insert, push the screw/insert into the JB Weld, wipe off excess and let it dry. If there is enough of an udercut in the tank crater and at least somewhat of a flange on the threaded insert it stands a chance of holding.
Worth a try or what?

Top Bottom