dirtmonkey65

Feb 10, 2003
I need to replace a couple needle bearings in my Uni-trak.
How do you get the bearings out? Should they just slide out or
do I need some kind of special tool/

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
I just did mine a few months ago, they don't just slide out. I just made a puller out of a large bolt, spacer, and nut. Put the bolt through the bearing with the spacer between it and the swingarm itself, and then thread a nut on the other side with a few thick washers. Tighten the nut and the bearing will eventually come out, depending on how old/abused they are. I need to heat it up with a torch and add some penetrating oil as well...then I used the same method for installing the bearings as well. :)

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Without a hydraulic press the bearings are very difficult to get out (and in for that matter). If you do a search on the subject you will discover many ways to get the bearings in/out. However, they all require something short of voodoo to get the bearings out.

My advice, find a shop with a press. It will be the best $10 (and 10 minutes) you ever spent.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
A hydraulic press is great if you have one, but not mandatory. Beefking the concept right. I made up a little tool. This consisted of a 19mm socket (because it was the same O.D. as the bearing), a larger socket to catch the bearing as it comes out, a 10" length of threaded rod, some nuts for the rod, and a bunch of flat washers. The idea is to make a press: The rod goes through the bearing. The small socket goes one one side of the bearing, the large socket on the other. The nuts and washers go on either side. Turning the nut moves the smaller socket, which presses the bearing out.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
A simple bench vise works fine. Use necessary socket sizes as buffers as indicated.

Certainly do NOT use the hammer method. You will very likely ruin the unitrak link.

Top Bottom