JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Yes Sir, I'll be there ,provided I don't kill myself this weekend., If you make it out there look for a Black F150 4x w/ a 520 #0255 in the sign in area.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
It looks to be a go, just need check on babysitting arrangements. :cool:

Now for a bunch of novice questions.

1. Can I sign up for D37 membership the weekend of the event?
2. What about DDMC club membership?
3. I haven't raced since I was a kid, and that was motocross. Besides my bike, gas and gear, what else do I need?
4. What class should I enter? I'm 31yrs old, not a beginner by any means, but 38 miles at race-pace will definetly put the hurt on me. And I'd be riding the 200 most likely.
5. Is one loop 38 miles? Or like 2 or 3 loops = 38mi?
6. Can we pre-run the course Sat? My wife *might* enter women's beginner class, but I'd have to pre-run it with her before hand (confidence for her).
7. What's the "bomb run?"

Sorry for all the dumb questions. :confused:

Cool, I'm excited! Is anyone else gonna go? I wanna race, boooyyeeezzz!! :p

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Here we go, you'll have a blast

1. Yes you can, you can get both D 37 & AMA membership at the race.

2. You do not need to be a member of any club to race , but if you stay with
it you should consider one.

3. you should bring lots of water, Hydration system, a tool bag, Large zip, extra spark plug , etc,etc.

4. you should check into the Vet 250 beg. class to start, you can always change later.

5. One loop is 38 miles and it will beat the crap out of you, so take it easy

6. No prerunning the course at all, except for the bomb run

7. the bomb run is the start, they'll have a five row start., row 1 Pro/ experts,row 2 inter. row 3 novice, row 4 Beg. row 5 quads. the bomb can be anywhere from 2-5 miles long and then you will be funneled into the trail head.

Also, it is a dead engine, drop the banner start, the end of the bomb will be either a smoke ( burnning tires ) or another banner indicating the end of the bomb run and the start of the course.

The only other DRNer going that I know is Unit74,but there is a small group of us out there you can hook up with and will be very welcomed

NONE of those questions were dumb, and if you have any more, I will do my best to anwser them

I will add the District 37 link so you can check it out

http://www.district37ama.org/splash.html

Last edited:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Okay, a few more...

What's a "Theme Check" and I'm assuming I need to stop at all these checks along the way and have a fender card marked or something?

We'll be bringing the toybox, so I'll have plenty of water, Camelback, my tools and spare plugs and both bikes. But what's a "Large zip?"

So I can pre-run the bomb Sunday AM before the race, up to where the course starts?

Now for the start, you say there's five rows. Say I'm on the fouth row, does the banner drop and all the rows go? Or one row at a time?

That's all I can think of for now... I haven't decided if I'm gonna take friday off for loading up and prepping the bikes, or monday off for for convalescence! I'm leaning towards friday. When are you going? Also I think I might have another couple to join us, my wife's friend at work - her and her husband ride.

Hope you don't mind, I was gonna post a link to this thread in the "places to ride" fourm and see if any other squids want to race. :aj:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
" Theme Check" , I think the course workers are going to do something off the wall and yes you will stop and get checked off.

" Large Zip ties", so if you get a flat you can zip tie your tire to the rim and make it back safely.

You can prerun the bomb Sunday morning and possibly Sat. afternoon.

I have always used tear-offs, however I just bought some Scott roll-offs and tried them at the last race., To much dust, so I think the tear offs would have been better.

It kinda depends on the weather, dry, dusty, no wind, I'll use tear offs
Damp,rain,no dust I would use roll offs

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
Hey welcome to the desert. The racing is a blast. A desert scrambles is a good race to start out on. Since the experts, intermediates and novices do the same loop twice, the loop is usualy not very tough so all the beginers can make it. Beginners go 1 loop so start out there. You can move yourself to novice when you want to do two loops.

The start is 5 rows. Each line will start by themselves. The club then sweeps the bomb run to look for downed riders, then the next row starts. It is usually 10 to 15 minutes between rows. It will be a dead engine start. When the banner goes up, everyone kills their bike and waits for the banner to drop. It is supposed to stay up for at least 1 minute before dropping. When it does, start your bike and go!

Here's your free tips.
Put baby oil on the foam around your goggles to keep the really fine dust out.
AmourAll the lenses so the dust won't stick so bad.
If you can't see in the dust, slow down! There is a rock with your name on it out there just waiting for you to ride blind. (I broke my back in three places when I met the rock with my name on it)

Good luck! Gregg 0110

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by PhastPhart

There is a rock with your name on it out there

You don't know just how good this news is, I thought the rocks had my name on them.:ugg:

Jim

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
You only find those special rocks in the dust though. If you see them before you hit them, then that's not the one. Good luck on finding yours!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
You guys can keep all yer rocks!!

Thanks for the tips though, the A-A on lenses and zips on the flats are new tricks for me.

What's the approx elevation at Red Mt? :confused:

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Okay - I just have to get gas, wash my gear and load up the trailer. :aj:

We'll be going out there Friday night, anyone else?

Black Tahoe 4x4 w/small Wanderer Toybox.

So I'm looking for Jim and Gregg, right?

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I'll be looking for ya :cool: going out sunday morning, I'll be there early

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Hey Jim, where were you? We were camped right out in front of the sign-up area. I did alright, but I found some of those rocks you're talking about. I got off 3 times and once really good. Rung my bell and mashed my wrist, I'm gonna get it x-rayed this afternoon. Waaaaay fun though. :)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom