Used Machines

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
How come EVERY used motocross bike is:

1...Mint condition
2...Low Hours
3...Never raced

Yet, when I go to the track people are riding all day long, racing, and beating the crap out of their bikes. Most of the used ones look like garbage?

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
In my opinion I would rather have a raced mx bike than one that has been trail riden, becuase a race bike rarely sees mud and generally less dust where it is on a track that is groomed for "ideal riding conditions". a trail bike has to go through puddles, dust clouds, sand dunes, mud hole, and rock piles. So I always laugh when I see "never raced" in a classified.

Zerotact

~SPONSOR~
Dec 10, 2002
" never raced " also usually mean " never maintained " as most racers eventually figure out how to work on their bikes.

KDXWORM

Mar 27, 2003
My bike has low Hours never been raced well maintained Etc. Ect. Did I forget to mention it has been flipped over, run over, and fell off the stand.. but never raced. :blah:

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
oops, I thought I had one that met all 3 criteria. Now that I think about it, it was raced, but it is low hour/mint condition. I can get 2/3 on the yamaha also.

In summary, I don't understand it either. :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
a guy came to look at a cr250 i was selling. while he was riding it, his grandpa asked if it had been ridden hard. i said, "i rode the hell out of it, but it's been maintained." they bought it.

Last edited:

dante

Mar 24, 2004
that is funny those ads. you guys are right I'd much rather buy a bike from a racer... They usually put parts on them too... another funny one I see all the time is "over $5,000 invested, asking price $2,000" Like what are they adding all the gas they put into it, tires, chains, and stuff like that... I know folks spend allot on trick parts but jeeze 5k, or whatever large figure they insert...

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I like "trail ridden only"...as if that makes it not as beat on?

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
mx547 said:
"i rode the hell out of it, but it's been maintaned."
Yep, both of my bikes have been rode hard but they have never been put up wet. Got fresh top ends and new S12's. New air filters, reeds, exhaust packing, spark plug, and wheel/linkage bearings. Just changed the tranny oil and checked the torque on the spokes. Steering head seems fine and the shock and forks have no leaks. Whole bike has been cleaned with a toothbrush and if you want a race ready bike then I've got it!

I think I would rather have a bike like this than the others that get the typical advertisement.

Just one problem with all of this ....neither of my bikes are for sale!

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
I also like "adult ridden only"...I've seen some guys race 35+ that put some of the younger guys in the "A" class to shame...

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
how about this one "mechanic owned" sounds good right, unless you are a mechanic like me and you know every thing that is wrong with the bike and figure you go until it is broke. my dad always said "plumbers pipes are always leaking, and mechanics car always needs a tuning"

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Just saw this one posted at the dealer today. Typed word for word.

For Sale: 2004 YZF250F four stroke "bike of the year". This bike has been very well maintained. All of the mags say this bike is the best. Everyone wants to ride this bike. Ridden very little. Never raced. This bike won almost all of the races entered. New race plastics, new inner rubbers, new clutch plates, new chain and rear sprocket. Air filter just cleaned. Really fast!
Showed a pic. of a beat up YZ250... :coocoo:

Gotta love it

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
I like the " Vet Owned or Senior Owned " and well maintained adds, I know they're trying to say that the bike is owned by a older, more responsible rider, who did all his maintence on schedule, blah,blah,blah.

But they don't realize that the Vet and Sr. classes have some of the fasted, WFO racers in the Dez and after one season the bikes are basket cases but were well maintained

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
I take extremely good care of my bikes and have sold several on some of the various web sites all over the country.
I try to follow up religously with the buyers and let them know I have confidence that they are buying a good machine....
i do ride my bikes hard(A class hare scrambler, some MX and lots of trails)
I am a +35 rider
i take a current picture detailing the motor and side case areas to show the wear.
I think Zio has had pretty good luck with one of my bikes...also another californian bought my 04 450 and converted it to a dual sport...so far so good there as well.
But some of the ads as noted above are definitely making it hard for me to sell a bike...

sodflyer

Jun 30, 2004
Well....I see it's going to be hard to sell my bike if I ever do... I am a mechanic and I go through everything on my bike that needs to be done after every ride, I replace what's broke or fix what needs fixing when it needs to be done. I do this b/c I don't have another 6,000.00 to put down on another one and I know the value of maintenance and I don't mind working on it at all due to the fact I hate when you are riding out in the middle of nowhere and it dies....not fun! Just what am I going to say in an add? 04yz250 for sale, rode hard, all pm's done on time according to the manual....needs plastic :) Jeff.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I would shy away from most "A" class bikes, though. Been there, done that, won't do it again. I don't care how often you service the bike, there are parts that most owners just don't replace, that get the tar beat out of them by "A" riders. I'd rather buy new plastic from the "C" rider's mishaps, than need a new crank, gears, bearings, clutch basket, suspension internals, etc.

also, the funny thing is that people want the bike to be maintained, yet i'd say on the average bike sells better if you DON'T say anything about parts that you've replaced. Maybe it comes down to the buyer hoping that the unit is so low hours, that it didn't need anything. Many buyers get nervous when they start hearing a long list of things that have been done to the bike (or car). They think, "what else is wrong?". I'm not saying every buyer is this way, but a majority I think.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
DanAKAL said:
and new S12's.

You runnin' S-12's up there? I never would have guessed.

You must be riding on the beach! ;)

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Well crap...
I found what looked to be a good looking, well cared for machine for sale here on these forums and told a friend about it. He bought the bike and on his 1st ride the motor let go. He called the seller to and got the old "sold as is" line and told my buddy he didn't basically want to hear about it. I'm a bit upset. I just wish folks would do the right thing. sheesh....

From the pictures and write-up, this bike appeared ready to race. However it proved otherwise tonight for my friend when he had his 1st ride on it out at Village Creek MX. :(

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
do you have reason to believe the seller had knowledge of a pre-existing condition causing the problem, which was not communicated to the buyer?

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Can't say for sure - but his attitude of "I don't want to hear about it" basically sucks. If I had sold a bike and it grenaded I would offer some kind of help. But I am just wired that way. Some folks obviously are not. In any case it stinks that this happened and it stinks even more that the seller appears to have a "It sucks to be you, now go away..." attitude.

Top Bottom