jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Does anybody have a link to where I can get an oldschool type mouthguard. I just picked up an old open faced helmet with the button snap-on type visor and it also has snaps for what I believe is for a Jofa mouthguard. I saw a few pics of the scott version and it looks like it snaps onto the goggles themselves. Which type of mouthguard is more tolerable and easier to breathe through? The first race around here is coming up and I don't want to look too modern with my bright orange shoei helmet.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
Jofa... why? That product was the reason I had a 17year layoff from riding. Absolutely no protection. Definitely old school, but why sacrifice your face, when a modern helmet gives you better peace-of-mind. Open face helmets are for trials riders.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
One dosen't have to worry about protection when they are in the lead. I only need one to look vintage. Besides I think the Scott Venturi Faceguard will do the job just fine. But I can't find one online to order from.

zoommx

~SPONSOR~
Apr 23, 2001
I always thought the scott mouthguard that fastened to the goggles created more fog on the lenses. The Jofa mouthguards were much better about not "trapping" your breath IMO.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
jumpingjoe628 said:
One dosen't have to worry about protection when they are in the lead.

Leaders crash too.

There is reason those things went the way of the Dodo: they don't protect as well as a modern helmet.

It's your face, but frankly I think you're nuts for being more concerned about looks than about your own safety.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
the original topic was where I could find an oldschool face mask not to discuss how outdated and inferior they are. I am well aware that my modern helmet will do a better job protecting me from impacts. To me and me only the fact that I want to go vintage racing means that I want to look like one too. Having an older bike and the gear to match the era means a whole lot more to me than what might happen if I case a 90 foot triple on a 28 year old bike with less protection. We can make more responsible choices while racing like our forefathers did and just not do the big jumps. Anyway, my friend had one the whole time and gave it to me so my search is over.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
jumpingjoe628 said:
Having an older bike and the gear to match the era means a whole lot more to me than what might happen if I case a 90 foot triple on a 28 year old bike with less protection. We can make more responsible choices while racing like our forefathers did and just not do the big jumps. Anyway, my friend had one the whole time and gave it to me so my search is over.

jumpingjoe628 said:
One dosen't have to worry about protection when they are in the lead.

So you were basically just trying to be a cocky ass in this statement then?

Good times

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
It seems that everybody is missing the topic here. I only seem cocky at this point because no one is giving a positive response to my post except for Duke(thanks Duke). I only wanted to know where I could find the faceguard not to be chewed out on how bad they are compared to newer equipment. And by the way, with my track record, I can get away with being cocky.

Last edited:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
You could find an old full face MX helmet and enjoy better protection and still look vintage. I've got an old Bell from when they first intro'd full face MX helmets, still has the snap on visor and all. That to me would be a better choice, but as you are basically saying, you don't really care about your face as much as your look, so have fun spitting teeth if you crash and smash your face up.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
jumpingjoe628 said:
It seems that everybody is missing the topic here. I only seem cocky at this point because no one is giving a positive response to my post except for Duke(thanks Duke). I only wanted to know where I could find the faceguard not to be chewed out on how bad they are compared to newer equipment. And by the way, with my track record, I can get away with being cocky.

Yes yes, we are all as cool as we want to be on the internet.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Mmmmmm ..... An old bell helmet. Okay now thats constructive, but ya just had to throw down the guantlet with the spitting teeth remark. And my rebutle is: In the 16 years I've been riding and out of the countless crashes I've endured, I have never even come close to smashing the front of my face on anything while riding or racing. But just about everything else in between. And all I have to show for it all is a chipped pinky bone on my knuckle that happened 2 years ago and barely showed up on the X-ray. SOOOOOO AHHHHH HA!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
jumpingjoe628 said:
Well if you get in the district 6 area give me a pm and I'll show you why THEY call me jumpingjoe628.

sure, I am going to move a 1000 miles away so some punk ass can show me that he can tool around a track. I am not the one bragging to be the fastest one out there. I never have. I have nothing to prove. My point is that when you come in here with the attitude that you have, you can't expect the good people here to jump up and down, wanting to give you advice. Making comments about not worrying about protection when you are in the lead is not only absurd, it makes you look like a moron. I bet at least every person here who has been to a race has seen the number one guy take a fall. Usually because they are being too cocky! So get off of your high horse and just settle down a bit. Then maybe you and the other nice folks here could have an intelligent conversation.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
jumpingjoe628 said:
Mmmmmm ..... An old bell helmet. Okay now thats constructive, but ya just had to throw down the guantlet with the spitting teeth remark. And my rebutle is: In the 16 years I've been riding and out of the countless crashes I've endured, I have never even come close to smashing the front of my face on anything while riding or racing. But just about everything else in between. And all I have to show for it all is a chipped pinky bone on my knuckle that happened 2 years ago and barely showed up on the X-ray. SOOOOOO AHHHHH HA!

Glad to see you've been lucky so far. It doesn't mean its going to stay that way. Chin bars were added to helmets instead of strap on roost deflector mouthgards for a reason, and that is because someone bit it with the strap on variety, and it was decided that better protection was in order. I'm sure if you asked the guys who crashed and did get their face smashed, they had the same attitude that it wouldn't happen to them. I'm sure the idea of drinking your meals through a straw with a broken jaw wired shut sounds exciting too. Enjoy it when your luck runs out, and your Jofa doesn't prevent it.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
TimberPig said:
Glad to see you've been lucky so far. It doesn't mean its going to stay that way. Chin bars were added to helmets instead of strap on roost deflector mouthgards for a reason, and that is because someone bit it with the strap on variety, and it was decided that better protection was in order. I'm sure if you asked the guys who crashed and did get their face smashed, they had the same attitude that it wouldn't happen to them. I'm sure the idea of drinking your meals through a straw with a broken jaw wired shut sounds exciting too. Enjoy it when your luck runs out, and your Jofa doesn't prevent it.

some people actually deserve broken jaws....don't ya think? :laugh:

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Jamir said:
some people actually deserve broken jaws....don't ya think? :laugh:

Ya, I mean its his face, but we have chin bars on our helmets for a reason, I think I'll use the best available protection and keep mine intact. If the Jofa's were the better protective method, we wouldn't have abandoned them. When he does smash his face, I doubt we'll hear about it though, he'll be too embarassed that his Jofa that looked so good, didn't protect him when he bit it.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
TimberPig said:
Ya, I mean its his face, but we have chin bars on our helmets for a reason, I think I'll use the best available protection and keep mine intact. If the Jofa's were the better protective method, we wouldn't have abandoned them. When he does smash his face, I doubt we'll hear about it though, he'll be too embarassed that his Jofa that looked so good, didn't protect him when he bit it.

my best protection is going slow enough that falls don't hurt as bad.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Jamir said:
my best protection is going slow enough that falls don't hurt as bad.

Ya, that one works for me most of the time too, but jumpingjoe628 was bragging how fast he was, so I guess he doesn't enjoy the same protection from hurting himself :nener:

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Jamir said:
sure, I am going to move a 1000 miles away so some punk ass can show me that he can tool around a track. I am not the one bragging to be the fastest one out there. I never have. I have nothing to prove.
I am not saying that I'm the fastest guy around here, just that I am a fast rider that has had a very sucessfull racing career. I take it you were very offended when I challenged you like that so I am sorry for that. :ahhh: You were the one implying that I was TRYING to be cool, and I know that I can prove it at the track, trail or whatever. Whatever, I'm just trash talking, why not try to just understand that instead of taking it so seriously. If I do bite the big one, I will let you guys know ASAP so that you can enjoy the satisfaction of being the ones that "tried to warn me". Out of all of the replies I only got a few useful ones and I guess I should be greatful for that. I've only been on this site less than a year and I have to say that most of you are always on the defensive side and want to protect the way you do things. I would have thought that by judging the people that I have met in this industry through the years that this site would have been a great place to meet a multitude of people that were useful and intelligent but I guess I was wrong and will have to be satisfied with what I'm dealing with right now. I just asked a simple question and except for a few insightful replies all I got was something I would expect from teenagers. Since I got the item I was looking for this will be my last touch on this topic and I guess I should have known better.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
wow! You must have pretty sore arms from always patting yourself on the back. Don't be confused. I was not trying to warn you of the dangers of the old school face guard. I could care less if you bust up your grill. Congratulations on being able to jump though. The ability to ride fast and jump does not make one "Cool". The ability to interact within society would be a better prerequisite there. But hey, keep up those good jumps. I am sure that someone out there thinks you are cool for it.

gpoints

May 9, 2005
This thread reminds me of one where I asked for reviews on a copression release mod for my dad's '85 CR500. Instead, I was "educated" on why I was wrong for wanting one by people who'd never attempted to start anything biger than a 125...

jumpingjoe628, I don't know where to get the old style face gaurds but I think I have an old style bell helmet that you can have if I can find it.

It's in the garage somewhere; shoot me a pm if you'd like me to look for it. :cool:

Also, you may want to check out some vintage sites like CalVMX. Those guys may be able to point you in the right direction.

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
Thanks GPoints but one of my friends already gave me a brand new one over the weekend. I'll check out the site though, you never know what you will find.

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
gpoints said:
This thread reminds me of one where I asked for reviews on a copression release mod for my dad's '85 CR500. Instead, I was "educated" on why I was wrong for wanting one by people who'd never attempted to start anything biger than a 125...

jumpingjoe628, I don't know where to get the old style face gaurds but I think I have an old style bell helmet that you can have if I can find it.

It's in the garage somewhere; shoot me a pm if you'd like me to look for it. :cool:

Also, you may want to check out some vintage sites like CalVMX. Those guys may be able to point you in the right direction.

That is funny, I did a search for threads started by you and came up with three. One was your first in which you were welcomed. The second was asking about a KX250 where there was a lot of good advice given. And the third was asking about finding parts for a CR500 where again, some good advice was given.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom