bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Will someone put Wardy incharge of the AMA Motocross and throw that fat, never-ridden-MX-in-his-life Steve Wipecock out on his ear.

Thanks for some great posts Wardy. :worship:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Bruce it would never work- riders would be rewarded for trying hard and classes would be evenly matched.
In reality a guy like Wardy is great for the sport and would do alot to bring sanity to it as well. Wardy has been involved at every level from racer to promoter with minidad thrown in and he has a true vision of what is needed.
He does do alot that we don't realize thru his work as a promoter and AMA congress member- without him and many others like him I would hate to see what the top guys would do.

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
wow a fan club! I just erased 5 paragraphs of what is (my opinion) going on at AMA. I guess I better keep trying to help fix the dam process, but as of late it has been even more aggrevaiting. Riders likley won't see the stuff that goes on, but the whole process and orgainization is changing. There is a little bit of "token" amounts of things headed the right way, the rest, well its scary.

I guess that is why i am referred to as the trouble maker.

tell ya what, when rule change time comes around in august, i will post my changes proposed and see what ya think.

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
I'm very unimpressed with Steve Whitelock in the job he's done and in the direction that he is going.

His resemblance to Michael Moore ain't helping either. :coocoo:

Yeah Wardy.. I've read your opinions, and you are right on track! :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
steve125 said:
Yeah Wardy.. I've read your opinions, and you are right on track! :cool:
Except for your vehement disregard for the superiority of the 4 stroke motocross bike, Wardy, I'd have to agree as well.

:nener:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
XRpredator said:
Except for your vehement disregard for the superiority of the 4 stroke motocross bike, Wardy, I'd have to agree as well.

:nener:

I second that! :moon:

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
You know i don't hate the deisel turds that much. I am more against the fact that they were forced on us based on lies and deciet*. But i suppose they can't tell us the truth why they want everyone to buy the things so they did what they did. It is funny how in our sport everyone just goes along.

What thumpers did in my humble opinion is made the sport more lazy when it comes to cornering. What is the big deal with these machines? It is the fact they "turn" easier, if i heard it once I heard it a hundred times. Rusty Ott, for those of you outside the midwest this name won't mean anything, but he said "if i keep riding these things I will become very lazy". They are made popular and the "bikes" to race for one reason only, they have and unfair advantage.

I don't like sandbaggers, wether it is people OR MACHINES! LOL. I guess the only positive is sitting there watching as these poor souls kick, kick, kick, and kick some more. For instance, James last weekend, he lost that race, not because he fell, but because he sat there and DICKED around trying to start that turd. Not that I am a particular fan, but just noticed, if you count the seconds they had the camera on him, then see he got third by how many seconds? If that bike would have started like a smoker, he would have been closer to the leaders at the front of the race. As a racer I understand how it works when you "know" you have a chance to win and when you know you don't.

anyway just opinions, LOL we all have em'.

:)

Nikki, 250f's are a problem in the womens class in my opinion. They are to heavy for most of the girls racing them and I have started at least two per race for the girls who fall and can't either pick them up or start them. Lets face it, the first time ONE lady in this area bought and raced one of them in your class, you all had to, only because they had an unfair advantage against a 125. You class is the PERFECT reason why that 250 should't be allowed, lets not forget the little 85Sr rider who now to be competitive has to jump on this bike also. Sure there now is the schoolboy class only 125cc allowed, guess that helps if the kid is 15 or younger.

Steve Whitlock, I been in meetings with Steve, he has the correct ideas on how to manage things. He (my opinion) has a pretty thankless job. His rule enforcement, and opinions are sound but are undermined by millions of dollars in factory efforts. IF anyone don't think that thier are people in the correct place to make sure the "wrong" thing doesnt' happen to their team, then go check who is where! I wouldn't wish Steve's job on an enemy, well maybe a couple!

:laugh:

oh well so much for opinions, its been a long time since i got this winded on here!

Last edited:
B

biglou

I actually sold my YZ450 cuz it cornered like a barge! lol

I really enjoy reading this stuff from you Wardy. :cool:

A couple of talking points, from my perspective only: The 4stroke thing, it wasn't an issue until lately, why is that? Now that they are finally a "better/faster/whatever" machine, all of a sudden it's a problem? Pre 1998 (or whenever), why did no one cry foul that the smokers had an unfair advantage? For the record, I think the cc's should be adjusted to level the field if things get as lopsided as they are now.

Another point-I never had much trouble at all refiring my 426/450. Maybe cuz I got enough ass to kick it hard enough?

And another thing, again, from my perspective only, I'm not giving up ANYTHING riding my smoker. Not at my level. Therefore, I'm not really in favor of one type of bike over the other.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
wardy said:
For instance, James last weekend, he lost that race, not because he fell, but because he sat there and DICKED around trying to start that turd. Not that I am a particular fan, but just noticed, if you count the seconds they had the camera on him, then see he got third by how many seconds? If that bike would have started like a smoker, he would have been closer to the leaders at the front of the race. As a racer I understand how it works when you "know" you have a chance to win and when you know you don't.

It took him FOUR kicks! A smoker woulda took two. Big deal. :nener:

Plus he wouldn't had been able to do a triple-triple-double... and jump XYZ, and whatever.... as easily and consistently.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
wardy said:
Nikki, 250f's are a problem in the womens class in my opinion. They are to heavy for most of the girls racing them and I have started at least two per race for the girls who fall and can't either pick them up or start them. Lets face it, the first time ONE lady in this area bought and raced one of them in your class, you all had to, only because they had an unfair advantage against a 125. You class is the PERFECT reason why that 250 should't be allowed, lets not forget the little 85Sr rider who now to be competitive has to jump on this bike also. Sure there now is the schoolboy class only 125cc allowed, guess that helps if the kid is 15 or younger.

It's only another 10-15 lbs. that a 2-stroke. And if you can't pick up your bike and/or start it, either you shouldn't be racing it, or else don't pout when you get roosted as everyone goes past ya. Hell, I wanted an 80 at one point because a 125 was too "big" for me and I fell over in the turns all the time. Yeah, I guess a girl or an 85 turned 125B rider feels pressured to get on a 250F versus a 125 to be competitive in the class, but if they can't lift and start an extra 10-15 lbs., time to hit the gym. Or ride a 125. Take your pick. I don't have much sympathy for it. :debil:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I thought in the chick class they could ride whatever they wanted. Are the women only allowed to ride a 125/250F, or can one head out there on a 500 if she sees fit?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Pred... yep, it's pretty much open. The "rule" is 85cc and up, and 12 years old and up. So you don't have 65's out there with 450's.

I raced Red's CRF 450 in the Women's class at Casey back in 2002 (Halloween weekend) before the 4-stroke boom. There were 13 riders that day (I exploded a clutch in my 125 in the mud the day before). I needed the points (it was my last D-17 championship year) so I gave the 450 a try. Needless to say, getting the holeshot was EASY! I was even in a jailbird Halloween costume. I picked up my YZ 250F a week later. I was sold. :cool:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I think Wardy is just scairt to ride one cuz he'll fall in love with it and won't ever go back.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
LOL 10-15 lbs, all on the high side of the bike. thats alot actually. not to mention most of those "girls" and for that matter "guys" aren't ready at that point to race at that speed on a "250". 125's are harder to ride "fast" hence you get slower riders riding slower and LEARNING in the process. hmmmm, i may be wrong and Nikki, you will for sure straighten me out, but didn't you get hurt on your 250 much more then on the 125?
anyway all this is my opinions nothing more.

pred I have rode the 450 rm and the 450 honda. the honda is faster, they both are OPEN bikes, they ride like one and they are the right size to be in OPEN class (251cc & up). So my biggest bitch other then the fact they are "cheater bikes" is that it's a "accepted by rules" cheater bike.

Na i am not sceeerrd, as long as Uncle AJ produces the machine i like to ride then its all good! Once & if that ever stops happening, i will rebuild my last machine til they PRY IT FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS.

HA! now i went back and read some posts i missed, FOUR kicks, yea likley, after we dicked around pulling hot start buttons, finding top dead center or what ever, two kicks? friggin warm 2 stroke would have started in one.
And you think the way they are JUMPING those obstacles are all because the bike does it better? check the tracks! they are being built for those turds. Not to mention did i say i really can't stand SX anyway, it just passes time around here til real racing starts.......you know the stuff that MATTERS, the stuff we all do personally.

i need to shut up actually Nikki is rutless and will kick my ass in here anyway I have seen her in action before.......

:bang:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
wardy said:
LOL 10-15 lbs, all on the high side of the bike.........

Nikki, you will for sure straighten me out, but didn't you get hurt on your 250 much more then on the 125?

Haha - 10-15 lbs. is about the amount of make-up and jewelry some of these girls wear. Plus other riders who wear every protection devise ever made - wrist braces, elbow guards, ankle guards, knee braces, hip pads.... then strap on a stuffed animal to the back of their chest protector. :laugh:

As for getting hurt on a 250F more than a 125.... nope. I rode an 80 for a year - no hospital visits. I rode a 125 for 4 years - one hospital visit (broken collarbone, jan. 2000, landed sideways, bounced, and went over the bars at casey on the downhill double/triple). I'm in my 4th year of riding 250F's - and just one hospital visit as well (torn rotator cuff, mar. 03, leading 125C and womens at walnut's first race and clipped from behind in the air over a tabletop, pretty sure it was James Bagby - doh!).

But honestly, in my experience, I crashed way more on 125's in jump/rhythm section sections because the bike is so unpredictable. Come outta a turn to hit a double, dump the clutch, bog out, come up short, go over the bars. Next lap, same turn, dump the clutch, ride a wheelie, loop out over the jump and land on my ass. There is nothing dependable or predictable about a 125 and it's on/off power for beginner/novice riders. 250F's are very smooth and predictable - same thing every lap. I feel much safer on a 250F in that regard. I talked with Stacy about this last night, and she agreed. "Out of control" I believe is what she said, when referring to her 125 days.

:ride:

Oh well... the 2-stroke/4-stroke debate will never end, until manufacturers quit making 2-strokes.... ahh even then, it'll probably still be an issue.

But I do agree 100% that it's a "cheater" bike.

In a women's class, where it's currently structured as a 85cc and up class, I see nothing wrong with riding a bigger bike. In fact, I know a handful of girls now racing on 450's. Yep, that is a LOT of motor, but I rode Red's '05 CRF 450 this past weekend, and couldn't believe how far the 450's have come, like hitting the inside line was no problem.

The only solution to the women's class, would maybe be splitting it into two classes by cc's... like 85cc-200cc and 201cc and up. I think the same should be considered if the 125 is to stay "alive". Heck - have four "big bike" classes: 125cc class, 250F class, 250 2-stroke class, and 400cc and up class. What a long race day that would be! :yikes:

B

biglou

More random thoughts and ramblings from someone who doesn't really give a crap one way or another:

I want to reiterate (ie:beat this dead horse some more...): Buy-in and maintenance costs aside, 4-strokes didn't become "cheater bikes" until they started winning. Period. Remember Coop riding the 540cc a few years back? Any complaints there? Nope! The rules were in place for years, no one cared because their supremacy wasn't being threatened. Now, what drove the big 4 to push the 4t's, I don't know. Lobbying by the EPA? The AMA? I dunno.

Nikki said "Strap on". :laugh:

But, in contrast to my above statement, I think they should adjust one of the classes up or down every so often to level the field if it becomes ridiculously lopsided. But, that gets expensive for all involved. Plus, I'm not 100% convinced that things are currently that far out of whack. Case in point: Bubba FLAT ASS SPANKED EVERYONE on his 125cc smoker. How was that possible? That class supposedly had the largest power difference in the two types of bikes. Hmmm....

Another tangent, as for the 2t vs 4t power output: Apples and oranges, period. 2t fires on every upstroke, 4t, well it fires on every upstroke also, but only makes power on every other upstroke. Plus, 4t's are pushing valvetrains, robbing power. How is it possible that an engine that only makes a power stroke every 4 strokes AND has to turn a valvetrain AND is proportionally NOT TWICE AS LARGE IN DISPLACEMENT as its 2t counterpart, makes more power than said counterpart? Again, engine designs = apples and oranges. You can't really compare strictly based on displacement. All that said, yeah, if you're going to have displacement classes, make'em strictly displacement with no exceptions and you'll probably have some pretty interesting racing.

wardy

Nov 12, 1999
Only thing was that there was quite a bit of grumbling about the size and displacment issues when it came around. In fact I submitted two rules in 1997-98 pertaining to this being an unfair advantage. bottom line, factories scared everyone with certain help and poof here we are. No one argues much that deisels are more expsensive to buy, and to repair.
So you are right Nikki, you did get hurt more and more serious on the thumper then the 2 stroke. I have the same issues with a smaller rider not being able to race safely a 450 male or female, riders are being forced by class rules to be competitive by riding heavier and fast machines then they may be capable. That has more ramifications*? then any other issues we are discussing.......in the wrong thread i may ad! LOL I turned in okie, wonder who that goes to anyway? :)

typers cramps!

Oh and dont' forget that rider ability still is likley to be 75% more reasons to win then bike horsepower, but shouldn't everyone start on the same level? Bubba last year was the exception to the rule, no one else did that stuff. But now the 2 strokes are relegated to the minority, guess we will or should have 2 stroke nationals (fall classic) now instead of the "thumper nationals"?

i am done.

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
i think we need to add superchargers to our two strokes and that will make everything better :)

Top Bottom