bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
From the NMA:

Here is what the WTA intends to accomplish in this session.

The new language was already introduced on 1/20/03 as HB 1165:
http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/ViewRoot.asp?Action=Html&Item=7&X=129125913&p=1

Introduced on Senate side as SB 5401 on 1/23/03

http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/ViewRoot.asp?Action=Html&Item=8&X=129125913&p=1

Dave Hiatt

NEW SECTION. Sec. FOR THE INTERAGENCY COMMITTEE FOR OUTDOOR RECREATION
Nonhighway Off-Road Vehicle (NOVA) (02-4-002)

(1) The reappropriation in this section for the nonhighway and off-road vehicle program under RCW 46.09.170(1)(d)(i) is subject to the following conditions and limitations: A portion of the reappropriation may be used for grants to projects to research, develop, publish, and distribute informational guides and maps of nonhighway and off-road vehicle trails and associated facilities meeting the requirements, guidelines, spirit, and intent of the federal Americans with disabilities act.

(2) The reappropriation in this section for the nonhighway and off-road vehicle program under RCW 46.09.170(1)(d)(ii) is subject to the following conditions and limitations: The portion of the reappropriation that applies to grants for capital facilities may be used for grants to projects that meet the requirements, guidelines, spirit, and intent of the federal Americans with disabilities act and do not compromise or impair sensitive natural resources. The portion of the reappropriation that applies to grants for management, maintenance, and operation of existing off-road vehicle recreation facilities may be used to bring the facilities into compliance with the requirements, guidelines, spirit, and intent of the federal Americans with disabilities act.

(3) The reappropriation in this section for the nonhighway and off-road vehicle program under RCW 46.09.170(1)(d)(iii) is subject to the following conditions and limitations: Funds may be expended for nonhighway road recreation facilities which may include recreational trails that are accessed by nonhighway roads and are intended solely for nonmotorized recreational uses.

===========================================

For more information and to better understand what we are dealing with look here:

http://search.leg.wa.gov/pub/textsearch/default.asp

Do a search on RCW 46.09.170 to see what the NOVA Funding was intended to be used as.

Search for HB 1165 (Page 53 specifically) and SB 5401 (page 75 specifically)

Then write your State Legislative Reps to prevent this from happening!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Can I go an kill the WTA :) they don't have the right to that tax at all, thier just a bunch of eco whiners trying to pull this same stunt again from a year or so ago.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
When writing your State legislators please remind them that the intent of, and reason for creating the the NOVA fund to begin with is to fund offroad vehicle recreation because this legitimate form of recreation has almost no other funding sources and that non-motorized recreation receives hundreds (or thousands) times more money from other sources. They are not trying to divert the more because they need it, the are doing it because they HATE us!

Based on the lame fuel use study that the IAC (Interagency Committee for Outdoor Recreation) funded using our NOVA (Nonhighway and Offroad Vehicle Activities) money, the WTA is going to be very difficult to stop.

The WTA (Washington Trails Assn) has four full time paid lobbyists in Olympia working the issue, the NMA is volunteer based organization and desparately needs money to facilitate profesional representation, so . . . .

In addition to writing your State Senator and two Representatives, please send money to the NMA Legal and Land Use fund!

Northwest Motorcycle Association
6312 96th Place N.E.
Marysville, WA 98270

Our enemy is very well funded. Their friends, the Mountaineers have millions to spend and Fran Trodje (spelling?) has said flat out that they don't mind spending it to get their way.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
The last time I wrote to them about this issue they acted like they knew nothing about it so yea it did piss me off. Don't let the WTA get away with this those punks all ready get tax money. Arn't they allocated something 175 thousand a year for maintence alone I thought I read that some where when this first popped up.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I forgot where I saw that I think it was off the NMA website in an article written by the president of the NMA or maybe it was the amount of tax dollars we would loose to the WTA if they got thier way sorry I forget the exact details now. Well I did I wrote'em back and i will write again this time. out the 3 reps I wrote I only got back one response that said they would check into it and that was it. But i'm not gonna let it go so easy this time. If i could go to the meetings in olympia I would, Please write you guys at least no funds for trail maintence could make it that much more easier for eco geeks to get places closed for stuff like erosion due to lack of funds for maintence. This is a very big issue you guys should be screaming mad about this.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
no funds for trail maintence could make it that much more easier for eco geeks to get places closed

That's their plan.

Please write

In addition to your own legislators, a couple of other people need to hear from you.

Dino Rossi, Chairman of the Senate Ways and Means committee
rossi_di@leg.wa.gov

Hans Dunshee, Chairman of the House Capitol Budget committee
dunshee_ha@leg.wa.gov

you guys should be screaming mad about this

This is the biggest threat to dirtbiking in State history, easily a hundred times more important than our recent victory at Walker Valley.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Thanks for the additional contacts Tod! If you guys can print the NMA Postition Paper and other information out and get it to your local shops, they will usually be willing to make copies to give to customers.

Wonder what it would take to get a petition drive going? Anyone know?

Would it be beneficial to make up a flyer of some sort to get out to the shops and reach more people? Any ideas?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
Pound the rep's with tons of e-mails. :thumb:

When the DNR got barraged with a bunch of e-mail they asked that NMA hold back the members from commemting till they could meet and work out a plan. The result was Walker Valley was reopened :yeehaw:

Public opinion counts for a lot with these politico's and they don't even need to know if you're in the state.

dog2

Sep 26, 2002
Can someone provide email addresses for the State Representatives we should contact? I am sure that would help us turn up the heat.

I already emailed Rossi and Dunshee with the address above.

It would also be helpful if someone more knowledgable than me on this subject could post a brief sample letter that we could copy and paste into an email.

Does anyone know if the BRC can provide some help on this as well?

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
I figured this was coming as soon as I read that survey and realized how hopelessley stacked against us it was. The non motorized users were able to add up all the mileage used to get back and forth from the trails while we could only account for the fuel actually used off road - which of course is what the NOVA funds are for. As such, it is hard to believe the survey could be considered relevant, much less legal.
We need some flyers detailing the ramifications of this study and specifically what the individual off road enthusiast can do about it, both financially and on the cheap. If the NMA can post some suggested flyers, letters to legislators, etc., we can all have some copies printed up at our local printer and get to the people who need to see 'em.
Even though the average trail rider doesn't like to think about anything but how much fun they are having when they're out enjoying their favorite piece of God's finest, they will respond if they're presented with concise information and what they can do about it. At the NMA benefit poker run @ Tahuya, we had some great flyers on the Walker Valley situation which made for a very receptive audience, even though a good percentage hadn't even been to WV. The fact that fishead hooked them all with free chili dogs and refreshments didn't hurt either.....
One thing was overwhelming clear there, hardly anybody there knew anything about the issue before we talked to 'em, and it'll be the same with this unless we do something about it.
Like Tod said, this is a hundred times bigger.

bbbom

~SPONSOR~
Aug 13, 1999
Rat, I emailed Dave Hiatt at the NMA about getting a flyer of some type put together and they are looking at it.

My thoughts are (like yours) that if NMA can come up with an informational flyer then we can add the contact info for local reps to it and get it to the shops, race organizers, clubs, and anyone we know.

Another suggestion I had was a petition drive but I don't know what type of expenses vs. benefits that would have so we will see what comes of it.

In the meantime, get your own letter, emails, faxes and calls out.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
There's lots of ways to reach people, one, I've been thinking of for a bit, but would like a concensus of sorts if it'd be to invasive. Back many years and a career or two ago when I used to sell yachts for a living, I got the idea of buying a list of registered boat owners for WA state and talked the brokerage I was working at into it, the concept being that our best prospects to buy a boat were those who already had one and were planning to move up, which of course also meant they were our best source of new listings for sale. It netted a little of both, could've been alot more if the brokerage wasn't such a POS, but that's another story. All the fliers we get in the mail touting upcoming supersales on cars, etc., are the result of bought lists, so, why not try to get our (NMA)'s message out the same way? The NOVA situation is gonna piss off every motorcyclist, quad owner & 4 wheeler in the state, but not until they hear about it. I think it costs about 6-700 bucks for the list, a couple hundred for printing, and probably a couple grand for postage.
Surveys show direct mailings work - ask any politician.
Whole thing should be tax deductable, which would make it far easier for those businesses that could be negatively impacted by a lack of effort on this issue to donate funds to the cause, that'd just leave a bunch of us addressing & mailing the things off.
Just a thought, let me know what you think.
Whatever the plan turns out to be, count me in.

Canook

Aug 5, 2002
Break it down for us- What is the first thing we should do? As individuals it may seem like our voice doesn't count, but believe you me- they all fully completely do.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by Canook
What is the first thing we should do?

Write to your state senator and both of your house members.
Ask them to remove the NOVA changes from HB1165 and SB5401.
Remind them that the NOVA progam was created because ORV recreation has no other signifigant source of funding and was not originally intended to fund other non-motorized recreation. Non-motorized recreation has many other, larger and more appropriate funding sources.

Letters count the most. :thumb:
Emails help, but are not taken as seriously. ;)
Form letters count for less. :silly:
Names on petitions count for even less. :ugg:

Of course face to face, one on one meetings are the very best. :yeehaw:
Personal meetings with your legislators are pretty easy to arrange, just call them up and schedule an appointment. They are usually happy to meet with a constituant and listen to your concerns.
My work schedule is such that I can't get to Olympia this week, the next week should be better.
Hopefully, an NMA position paper is forthcoming very soon. I've requested that it be created ASAP. That will be helpful in educating our legislators and keeping everyone on the same page.

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Please write your state senator and both of your state house of representative members.

If you don't know their names or addresses CLICK HERE

Suggested Letter Text –

I just want to ensure that the wording in Section 359 of Senate/House Bill 5401/1165 does not remain in this Bill. It would authorize spending the NOVA recreational funds on improving ORV facilities to comply with disability acts or single use non-motorized facilities. All of these existing multiple-use facilities already comply to the ADA standards to the extend practical for the intended use and there has been no request for additional ADA funds from the land managers in charge of those facilities to the best of my knowledge. These funds were originally appropriated to provide ORV and off-highway opportunities for peoples of all abilities. Also, there are no restrictions on other groups (horse riders, mountain bikers, hikers) that may wish to use these facilities. The areas to be funded by the Nonhighway and Offroad Vehicle Act (NOVA) are intended to be open to all – a truly shared, multi-use concept.

Please insure that this one shared, multiple-use fund does not become the sole property of a single, well funded, special interest group like the Washington Trails Association (WTA). I know they are lobbying heavily to allocate the NOVA funds for their own special interest group to prevent having to share with other users. Using these funds on non-motorized trails excludes the motorized users and quite possibly the equestrians and mountain bicyclists. These funds were established as the only source of funding for truly shared, multiple-use trails in Washington State over 30 years ago. These funds are generated 100% by motorized use of highway fuels, off-road and on nonhighway roads, which are taxed by the State. NOVA is a refund to motorized use which is not required to pay the fuel tax per the WA State Constitution. Non-motorized use of highway fuel is an oxymoron. These funds are generated by motorized use and are needed to support true multiple-use recreation just as much today, if not more so, than they were when the Nonhighway and Offroad Vehicle Act (NOVA) was created. Please be sure they remain available for true multiple-use recreation by deleting Section 359 from this Bill.

DO IT TODAY - YOUR SPORT NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT!

Last edited:
Top Bottom