killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
I am going on a big trail ride in february and one of the guys who helps with the ride recommended that you water proof the bike.I asked him what that meant and he told me that he does not know but that it can be done.What does water proofing the bike mean and what does it entail? :bang:

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
bikes are basically waterproof to begin with unless you sink it, right??? In that case i dont think it matters how waterproof you try to make it, its still sunk. maybe he means spray it down with something so mud and gunk doesn;t stick everywhere.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The only thing that isn't waterproof on a modern MX bike is the air filter. Your 2002 CR250 is quite waterproof from the factory.

killerbeez 75

Oct 26, 2004
One guy told me yesterday that you take high temp. silicoln and run it around all of your electrical connections like the box and so forth.Does this sound right? :|

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
Thats a possibility but your bike should be fine without doing that, i wouldn't worry to much.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
Oil the air filter really good and make sure the drain for the airbox isn't full of mud or dirt or filter oil and dirt. This way if swamp the airbox for a few seconds the water has somewhere to go (out the bottom). A well oiled filter will stop most water from splashing through your filter. I would pack the wheels with as much grease as I could get in there and then put the axles back. Do not run with water over the bottom of the air filter, get off, that usually gives you back 2-3 inches at the air filter. If the water is still too deep, kill it and push. One other thing if you ride a 4 stroke, it is imperative to "T" the vent lines for the carb. One side down and one side up. Search here for this "engine dying after water crossing " and this will tell you how.

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Don't use high temp silicone.

Use dielectric grease on every electrical connector that you can find. You get dielectric grease at any parts store that sells trailer hitches/wiring-in that section. Unplug the connectors, fill the female end with the DE grease and plug them back together and wipe the excess off the outside of the connector. This includes the spark plug boot and the high tension lead at the coil.

By all means grease bearings(wheel, stem, swingarm, linkage).

Extend and route vent tubes over the frame(making sure they are back below whatever they vent).

Lube chain well.

Lube cables.

Like LaFleur said, make sure drains are clear.

gottamoto

Jan 29, 2005
Take the time to apply water proof grease on ALL your bearings[linkage,swingarm, wheels, stearingstem ect.] Bel-Ray makes a very good w/p grease.Doing this now will save you $$$$ later

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
If you plan on doing deep water crossings, you need to seal all those gaps in the airbox and install a decent drain that won't allow water in.

Lissa

"Am I lost again?"
Apr 28, 2002
What I do for water-proofing my bikes for enduros is quite easy. Clear airbox vent; freshly greased axles; lube chain, kick starter, pegs, folding tips, etc.; take two carb vent hoses and run up into the airbox (very important since if they all get covered the bike will stall, be sure not to pinch any in the process). Also remember when crossing water to not carry much speed through it since this could splash water in to the airbox on to the air filter and wet the bike out. Bring a plug wrench, extra plugs and plenty of paper towels in case the air filter gets wet. As long as you don't fall over into the stuff, you'll be fine, just take your time crossing it.

Top Bottom