KDX220rSpeed

Dec 4, 2007
Hey yall i just bought a 99 KDX220r and am going to start getting into Hair scramble races and was wondering if anyone knew any cheap and easy ways to beef up the power or speed on em.
Thanks

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I moved this over to the KDX section. The people who frequent this area will set you right up

XMotoX

Oct 23, 2006
In your situation, I'd say if you still have the stock pipe on the bike, an aftermarket pipe and silencer would be the best bang for your buck.

Check out this link: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

Go to KDX Tech Tips on the left and then check out the Hop-Up Guide. Lots of tips about getting the most power out of your KDX.

jschiller

Mar 5, 2007
Toss away the airbox lid (afix resistor to side at the top)
Add FMF desert Gnarly
Add FMF Power core II
Add Boyesen reeds
Rejet
Train, Train, Train

steve.emma

Oct 21, 2002
go with a pipe, dont worry so much about the exhaust it doesnt do much for power. go with boyesen reeds or a v-force if you can afford. then go with the bigger 36mm carb from the kdx200, these mods will help your power a lot!

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
jschiller said:
Toss away the airbox lid (afix resistor to side at the top)
Add FMF desert Gnarly
Add FMF Power core II
Add Boyesen reeds
Rejet
Train, Train, Train

Yeah, what he said. Be carefull when ordering the pipe, that you make sure to get the one aimed at improving your top end. Addition of a silencer won't really aid in power at all, it will just shave a little weight and look and sound cooler.

Change out your reeds at the very least, if you can spring for the $180 or so, go with the V-Force reed cage. For another $100+ have RB Designs modify your carb, they will send it back jetted pretty darn close if not spot on. I have done all of the above modifications and the difference is staggering.

Stiffer front springs also if you are over 150lbs. Just performed this myself, but have not ridden after the spring swap.

Top Bottom