What bike should I get? Filled out the sticky for this post.

hmanone

May 1, 2023
Hello all,
I'm looking to get a bike for my 12yr old son. This will be his 1st bike, no riding experience. I've always had road bikes so this a bit of a learning curve for me. I've been looking at the Kawasaki KX100 but recently saw some good deals on the Honda's CRF100F and 125F. My understanding is the CRF is more of a trail bike compared to the KX100. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Below is the sticky with questions I filled out. TIA
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important) 5’6” 150lbs (my 12yr son)
2) How physical / aggressive are you? First dirt bike
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or? Mostly trails. For Florida folks we’ll be riding at Croom.
4) Do you have any riding experience? No
5) Do you think you will race? Maybe
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? Yes mechanically. Wil do most of the work myself. Definitely oil change, never done top end work on dirt bike, but could pick up quickly.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Yes
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? $2500 used
10) Your age? This is for my son, 12yr.
11) Do you live in California? No

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The F bikes are great beginner bikes. The KX100 is NOT. At 12 years old, I'd opt for the 125F. Honda is my choice as well.

KTMkid

Sep 20, 2023
The kx100 is NOT by ANY means a starter bike, the thing will do a backflip if he doesnt respect it, any 125F will be miles better for a kid.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom