What bikes can be used LEGALLY as dual-sport in NJ and NY?

squale

Nov 10, 2003
I am looking at the Honda CRF250X... well drolling maybe, but does anybody know if this bike can be road legal in NJ and NY?

Are the ONLY legal dual sports STILL just the XR650?

jumpingjoe628

Mar 15, 2005
I went the honda dealer here in NJ a couple of weeks ago and asked them the same question and they said that the CRF 250X is not street legal. I was looking for a streetlegal super moto bike and they said that the KTM has them.

Wintermute

Jul 7, 2005
I'm not sure about NJ but the usual problem with making 4stk dirt bikes dual sport LEAGAL is that most (if not all) of the titles that come with Japanese bikes have "Not for Highway Use" or something of a similar vein printed on them. This phrase won't go over very well at the DMV.

OTH - Most of the Euro marques come with titles that will allow you to get a street plate (at least here in NY). Then it's a matter of installing a dual sport kit and getting inspected.

I haven't been following current production but some OK dual sports that I know of that are definitely available used; Yamaha XT350, XT225, Suzuki DRZ400 (might be a 250 too), KTM LC4 600 (a little heavy for tight trail).

Don't drink and park. Accidents cause people.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Only factory dual sports are technically able to be street legal, they meet epa exhaust and noise regulations etc, that said most any bike can be plated by legal means provided you are the origional purchaser. It gets messy with used, untitled bikes. Often the "not" in not for highway use ocures at the end of the line on a page and a pencil eraser will remove the ink, this can be quite handy (honda titles are usualy printed in this way). Other times the titles are not aranged in such a way, but the dreaded phrase is set off from the rest of the text, right where someone might want to place a dealer sticker......

Many states have an official process for registaring converted dirt bikes. I think this is an excelent procedure, but unfortunately its not an option in VA, I don't know about NJ or NY. Usually you do the street stuff to your dirt bike (dot knobbies, lights, horn etc) and then bring your bike to DMV for inspection. If its found to comply with the regulations they give you a title, fair and square, no funny stuff:) The great thing is that once a bike has been registared in any state, its easy, legal and simple to transfer the title to another state, even when you never would have been able to get that title in the state you are transfering to. For example, you could legally registar your CRF250X in MI with minimal modifications to comply with the regulations and then transfer the title to NY, no questions asked.

Lastly, most dealers can legally convert a bike to be street legal and sell it as such. Some of the local dealers here in VA will sell a CRF250X with street gear and a legal title.

good luck

squale

Nov 10, 2003
what if you have a street legal bike and then ride it on off road property that is state owned or whatever... could they ticket and impound your bike for this? like they do for ATVs, etc?

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
squale said:
what if you have a street legal bike and then ride it on off road property that is state owned or whatever... could they ticket and impound your bike for this? like they do for ATVs, etc?

if you wanted to take a street bike off road you could, but you would need to follow the same off road rules...etc as a off road bike or atv.

Top Bottom