what causes wore clutch plates and baskets?

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi,
ive been on my same clutch over three years now and it still shifts well,, but i hear alot of people on here talking about grooves in clutch baskets, broke springs, burnt and rounded plates,,,
what' causes all that damage? i change my oil every three rides, andi dont slip my clutch very often, and always pull cluth to shift...

but is slipping clutch the main wear causer?
thanks.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
I think you just answered your question big guy. lol

Change your oil frequently and you will cut the wear.

Some folks change the plates and not the cable along with it and that promotes wear as well. Granted a new set of friction plates allow for you to take up some of the slack but is 13 or so bucks to get it back to specks?

Another problem may be a worn throw out system which partially dis-engadges the clutch causing the plates to drag on the basket and cause the grooves.

I'm no expert but just my .02 non the less,

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Some bikes have a very poor design or cheap materials-the rms are renouned for having funky clutches-others like the older cr125 were terrible if you were a clutch slipper-one local expert had 14 set of plates in a season-he needed to learn to use the gearbox.
Basically im saying different bikes have different problems.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i use the clutch quite a bit and had a whole set os friction, driven and springs to put in. (bike has 2 seasons on it). i measured everything and it was fine so it put it all back. One important thing is that the after market stuff doesnt seem to be as good as OEM. One thing, if you want to replace the aluminum driven plates with steel ones, try to see if a previous year stock steel ones will fit before you try the Barnett ones, i took them back since they looked very porry made.

Top Bottom