What is wrong with my Clutch? Plates, basket, oils? help please

spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
Problem: When riding the clutch slips like a mofo, i can put it in 4th from stoped and get the thing slipping...

it had new oil 2 rides ago (1 ride at the track, 1 ride in the trails) not a whole lot of riding.

the oil looks ReALLY black already; possible due to the fact that when the clutch slips it churns the oil up faster???

What it looks like inside: opened it up, measured the thickness of the plates, they are all within service limits on Honda OEM book. (good sign)
the Clutch springs are also within service limits.

now the Clutch Basket itself is notched i would say quite badly, only on the one side(but this is because of the rotation direction)...
now this is my understanding, if the basket is worn and has notches out of it, it will give the cluth a notchy feel (does not have now, but used to)
and it will also not allow the clutch to engage all the way after disengaging THUS making it slip..

keep in mind it is slipping real badly.

any ideas on what i can do. i dont want to blow a ton of money on parts but dont want to do a temporary fix where it might not last the next ride that i drive to go for 2 hours...

if new clutch or basket is needed, what do you recommend for durability and performance.

thanks for any advice

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
Likely that the springs are sacked. Even though they measure properly, their spring rate has prolly declined and now that you have done experiments like "...4th from stopped and get the thing slipping..." your clutch plates are glazed.

Get new springs. Figure eight the plates(both friction and steel/aluminum) on some very fine emery paper wetted down with the oil you will be using. Lay the paper on a very flat surface to do this. Don't overdo it, just break the glaze. Like after honing a cylinder, wash the metal parts in warm soapy water afterward. Clean the plates with the oil you will be using. Good idea to soak them overnight(a few hours at least) in the same also.

The oil blacked up becuase it is getting scorched. The clutch, especially a slipping one, is the biggest source of heat input to trans oil.

I wouldn't worry about the notches too much. Maybe stroke them with a fine mill file a FEW strokes each just to knock the tops off the notches. The more you file them back, the worse the play will be, causing even faster wear.

Make sure the clutch actuator has free play with the lever out.

spidartanks

Jan 14, 2004
Thanks for the input Reelrazor, i am going to go down to the local bike shop and see what the springs are going to cost. i cant see it being too much.

the tips for sanding the plates are awesome, thanks for that. i didnt want to use water, the oil idea is great.

thanks again. hope she works out well

Top Bottom