What cool/scary/wierd/neat things have you seen while out riding???

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
When I was going to school in WV we found someones weed field once. Thankfully the "farmer" wasn't there. We did find a very recently stolen Jeep Wrangler stuck on the trail. Ran fine except for the broken ignition. My cousin turned it into the police and ended up buying it at auction. He still has that Jeep. :)

notenuftoys

Sep 3, 2004
Several years ago, I was flying down a trail on my mountain bike, and a skunk comes wandering out across the path right in front of me. There's was no way to stop in time, so I pedalled harder and faster than I thought possible. Fortunately, he ignored me. I've also seen several armadillos wandering around.

And another time I went riding after a light rain, and was the only one at the place. Back in the trees, I spotted large cat tracks. I asked the guy at the gate about it, and he said, yea, there's a big cat, a cougar or something, that lives back in there. The kinda spooked me.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
We came upon a couple of WWII 500lb. practice bombs one time. I happen to know a fellow who routed an enduro trail near a "very dead cow". He was thoughtful enough to have warning signs in advance of the smell. "Wheres the beef, Hungry, Flame Broiled or grilled, etc. "

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
So many things...

A bear running down the trail at Forest Hill, CA. He ran on the trail about 100 yards then made a sharp 90 degree turn up a steep hill, bounding like a deer. Note to self: Don't even think about outrunning a bear while on foot. No can do.

A small rattlesnake perched on a rock about shoulder height in a steep ravine. He was wihtin inches of where my neck would be when passing him. Could not turn around, and did not want to go past the snake (he was annoyed). I had to get two sticks, pick him up and fling him up the hill before I could pass through. The first attempt did not work so good, lol, so I threw him further the second time, and scootted through the gap as he was sliding down the hill toward me.

Came across a nudist camp/rave in the middle of nowhere between Stonyford and Middle Creek (northern California). Went to cross a creek and we saw a bunch of naked people bathing. Had to cross the creek and ride through their camp of maybe 100 people, at least 25 naked ones.

Got lost one time in the middle of nowhere and burned lots of gas. By the time we got unlost, we were about 20 miles plus from camp and already on reserve, with maybe 1/8 gallon fuel fuel left. Miraculously found some guy camping in the middle of nowhere. Bummed about 3/8 gallon siphoned from his truck, and limped home running about 150:1 premix ratio. Never saw another camper or vehicle of any kind all day.

thomas123

Oct 31, 2001
Came across two mountain bikes just sitting on the side of the trail... slowed down to ponder why they were there, looked to the side and saw two people ummm..., well, I'll just stop there :p

dirtbikingdad

Oct 25, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
Came across a nudist camp/rave in the middle of nowhere between Stonyford and Middle Creek (northern California). Went to cross a creek and we saw a bunch of naked people bathing. Had to cross the creek and ride through their camp of maybe 100 people, at least 25 naked ones. ...

Can you possibly dispell the fact or rumor that most of the folks who attend these events are ugly/old? :yikes:

trevor9a

Oct 25, 2005
Been chased by wild pigs on motorcycle and mountainbike :yikes:

Several abandoned witch cirlces near the UCSC :p

Homeless camps galore and several private moments by college kids. :laugh:

I think some of those deep woods abandoned houses are the creepiest. Think Deliverance.

trevor9a

Oct 25, 2005
If nude beaches can be used as an indication then I would have to say they are old an ugly people looking to exhibit. Then there are the pervs on the cliffs with binoculars.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
dirtbikingdad said:
Can you possibly dispell the fact or rumor that most of the folks who attend these events are ugly/old? :yikes:

A few average lookers at best. Some old, some ugly. It was a very crunchy granola crowd of mixed ages, mostly 25 to 40 years. Drove their VW vans, Subarus, and a few 4x4's a heck of a long way on dirt roads to get where they were.

It sure was a site after 3+ hours of riding to round a corner, drop down into a creek and see a bunch of naked people standing in front of you.

Top Bottom