firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
So . . . what do "normal" people (who don't ride) do on weekends?

I am off the bike for 6-8 months. Whatever shall I do with all those weekends I can't ride?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Sit and watch TV? Good lord, no. Maybe I'll FINALLY finish my first ever novel.

Here are my criteria: it can't hurt my knee any further, and it can't require money since I have very little. Otherwise I'd buy a car project and have a hot rod again.

All the things I'd like to do that aren't moto-related are either expensive or equally hard on knees! Like skiing and snowboarding, hiking and mountain biking and karate.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Normal people? That's the problem, we aren't normal people.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
I know, I know

Do something you always regretted not having learned when younger.

Personally, I wish I'd learned to play music. So I took up piano when I broke my ankle. :)

SirThumper

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Thats bad news firecracker, bad news for sure. You are going to have to try very hard not to get to depressed, we all know your love for riding is second to none. Stay positive.

You will no doubt spend alot more time here on DRN.

Let me tell you something that really helps when you get bored. it really is effective. Anytime you are alone and have no distractions, you can close your eyes and go for a ride, anywhere. It works and you can actually improve your skills. I know it sounds crazy but it works.

You can also catch up on some good books you have been wanting to read. Let me know if you read a good Fantasy, so I can check it out.

Take care and allow your knee to heal.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Hmmm. I learned piano when I was little, but a small impediment is in the way of re-learning those skills--my piano is at Mom's house.

I read a lot, about 3-6 books per week (when I'm not injured) so I think that I won't be able to do a whole lot more of that than I already do. I read 90 % fantasy. I can definitely recommend some if you would like!
  • Robert Jordan's series is good if you like complicated, convoluted storylines with many characters to keep track of.
  • Louise Cooper's Indigo series is an excellent Pandora's Box story and one of my all-time favorites. All 8 books are completely dog-eared.
  • Anything by Charles de Lint is excellent.
  • George R. R. Martin is a new favorite
  • Melanie Rawn's various series are good too--but start with the first one, or others won't make sense.

Big Tuna

Nov 29, 2000
:( I just went through 4 months of this, and no matter what anybody tells ya, it doesn't just fly by.
MX videos, DRN, mags, MM2 video game are some of the things I used to keep myself occupied; I also read 4 novels which is pretty good since I have read maybe one since high school.
Since I was in a wheelchair for the first 6 weeks I had to stay pretty much confined to the house; I couldn't wait for my wife to get home and get me out of the house. It was usually one of two places that we would go to from there Chapters/Starbucks(read mags) or to the gym to try and train as best I could.
So just take it day by day and 6-8 will just fly by...oops I mean good luck and hone those skills on MM2 for when you are able to get back in the saddle again.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
This is probably the wrong place to find normal people but the next time I see one I'll ask and let you know. You might find normal people at the mall:eek:

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Originally posted by Big Tuna
MX videos, DRN, mags, MM2 video game are some of the things I used to keep myself occupied.

Sounds very familiar. I loved MM2 and all the above when I was laid up too. I was also in "non-motorized" scooter for about 9/10 weeks. I would highlight the tv shows I wanted to watch in the tv guide, do alot of web stuff ( I learned HTML and some Java ), read, play MM2, and then repeat the whole process. It was hard to sleep because I could not turn over, or on my side with those stupid braces on the legs. Anyhow - the trick is always do something or plan something even if it seems boring. It might lead to something that is not.

FC22 - just an educated guess, but I think the "mall" is where people spend their money who don't buy bikes, or the parts they break on them. Especially folks who want to practice this "ritual" by paying 105% if retail. Like that supposed "factory outlet" between CdA and Spokane. I stopped there once and had to be whisked back to the car with sticker shock.:D Anyhow good luck with your surgury. What are they going to do/repair?

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Oh, I see now about the "mall." I may have stumbled into such a place once or twice.

I have a torn ACL which they will reconstruct by drilling a hole in my upper and lower leg bones. They scrape off a piece of the patella tendon and screw it in place through the holes.

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
You should be doing what all females should be doing. IN THE KITCHEN. Just as soon as you get off work. :p

B

biglou

Ding! I've got it!

Radio Controled cars/trucks/motorcycles. Relatively inexpenseve plus you get to build, tune, paint and modify your very own miniature mechanical work of art! Those models are amazingly complex and advanced. I built a 2WD stadium truck about 10 years ago and it had oil-filled, coil-over shocks with different valves to choose for the shocks. Plus different pre-load settings, independant suspension, etc. Way-cool hobby, IMO. Plus, there's the nitro-methane powered engines, (Tim Allen grunt) OH, OH, OH!

SPD-I'm thinking you're gonna get hit with a rolling pin!:D

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I have a nitro r/c truck and i usually drive it when I cant ride(ankle). I highly reccomend nitro over electric for outdoor driving. You have to know how to adjust the carb though. THey are very touchy and need to have the mixture changed for every different temp. ie. 70deg to 69 deg the needle has to be adjusted.LOL. They are easy to tune though, just turn the high and low mixture screws. GREAT idea Big Lou

-Chris

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Good list of authors Firecracker, here are some others.
William Gibson: A book called "Neuromancer" started the whole cyber-punk genre about fifteen years ago. He's written quite a few since then, they're all good. His writing style reminds me of Sir Walter Scott; lot's of long, descriptive sentences and fragmented themes.
George McDonald Fraser: The entire "Flashman" series. It's all historical fiction about an english military coward/pervert/drunk who finds his way into lots of actual events. Fraser does an excellent job. Hilarious

I can't wait to see the "Lord of the Rings" movie that's coming out next year.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
firecracker. I tried to find some normal people to ask, but, most of the people that I know ride.

How about being a race reporter. With your literary skills, you could go to the races and freelance to the mag's and Cycle News. Also, if they put you in a cast, you could get some really cool signatures on your cast.;)

Not a bad deal, getting paid to watch the races.:cool:

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
The R/C things is good. It can get just as expensive though. I used to race the stadium trucks and I was always buying parts. They are cheap but they add up!

My suggestion, go to a pawn shop and buy a decent old acoustic guitar and a Mel Bay chord book. Before you know it, you will have a second love, right Lou?

B

biglou

Music can get expensive also. I've got the "Guitar Room" in the back, and at least two "Amp Rooms". Plus the "Recording Studio". I'm running out of bedrooms! Just another expensive hobby. At least with the R/C thing, you can race with the local clubs and still get some dirt on your shoes every now and then. Just don't get too excited and start jumping around on that bad knee! Heck, wear your riding boots, gloves and helmet and scare the heck outta the locals!

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
Okay Lou, you said Heck twice in the same sentence. That is not very Rock-n-Roll!

I agree with the R/C racing. The only reason I quit is because it got in the way of riding.

Firecracker, I will sell you my R/C truck real cheap!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
AHH!! I feel your pain FC You can come to my house and we can play PS2 soon to have gamecube and maybe the xbox :) I'm going to race in the AX races at monroe maybe puyallup could come watch me. The injury wasn't from the last time we went out is it? I'm still bummed out that happen cause we having alot of fun.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
So . . . what do "normal" people (who don't ride) do on weekends?

I have no Idea.

btw, how do the people on my street keep their lawns so nice?
My wife thinks there is some kind of connection between the two things....I just don't see it. :silly:

txvintage

Sponsoring Member
Apr 20, 2001
Re: Re: What do normal people do?

Originally posted by Farmer John

btw, how do the people on my street keep their lawns so nice?
My wife thinks there is some kind of connection between the two things....I just don't see it. :silly:

Wow, I had thought that this was a paranormal ocurrance which was limited to my neighborhood. It appears that it has spread nationwide.

I just tell folks I'm saving the environment by not running my inefficient lawnmower and weed eater engines:p

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
normal? :silly:

when I'm bored I just find some mechanical device to wrench on, I've got two project dirtbikes and a 1962 Falcon in the shop. Needless to say none of these projects are nearing completion :D

LOL at SPD

WR 250

Mar 17, 2000
You might see what classes your local community college offers. I'm one of those guys who wanted to be a career student. I'd still rather be in school than work for a living.:)

The RC cars sound pretty cool too. Or maybe you could get into target/competitive shooting.

Top Bottom