WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by firecracker22
I have a torn ACL which they will reconstruct by drilling a hole in my upper and lower leg bones. They scrape off a piece of the patella tendon and screw it in place through the holes.
Oh and what fun it is. However, 6 to 8 months is very optimistic, IMO. Sure, if you're a pro and get paid to race then go ahead and push yourself for the shortest recovery period. Since you're not a pro, make sure your reconstructed knee is properly healed before you start riding again.

In the meantime, stay involved in the sport. Join a club and volunteer to help out at local amateur races. Believe it or not it takes a lot more than just stapling a few arrows in the woods. Get involved with local land-use issues. Spend 3 to 4 days a week in the gym. Train your upper-body until your OS gives you permission to train your legs. Ride a stationary bicycle for aerobic training.

yz250-effer

Nov 4, 2000
Actually, woodsrider, I have always read/heard that 6 months was the standard recovery period for cell regeneration in an
acl. Now my lawyer just had his done ( basketball deal from a couple years ago ) and he had a brand new procedure done. This involves taking a cadaver achilles tendon and popping it in there. This super thick tendon takes 8 mos. to toughen up. I was a little amazed when he told me it was an achilles tendon. Talk about heavy duty !! That's what us dirt bikers need.

I have also heard women recover a little quicker. ( from an acl website ). And that is good for FC22. As far as pros go, I know John Dowd had his done last year and was out for the SX season, I believe. P.s. I could use an Acl if anyone has one laying around!? Maybe I can find one on ebay?:)

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Endoqwest: I have read a William Gibson novel. I will look for the one you recommended.

Ol’ 89-er: Actually, I met Davey Coombs, Tim Tolson, Lumpy, Corey Neuer and Jimmy Lewis from all the magazines at the US Open, and so I definitely plan on writing some articles to submit.

Those RC cars look cool. I need something a little less expensive though.

Joe: Yes, that was the injury that sent me to the doc’s office, but I tweaked it again about a week ago. I just pivoted on it and it collapsed. The pain is getting pretty bad. I do plan on covering some local races to earn some cash, so I’ll be your pit crew. We should designate a PS2 night and have weekly tournaments! I haven’t ever played though, and I don’t even know what a gamecube or xbox are.

SMB_racing: I would love a project vehicle but I have limited access to shop and tools.

Rockrider and Dirtbikedad: Classes are a good idea. There are a lot of things I wish I’d studied more, including photography, graphic design and HTML. Target shooting is on the list. I would love to trick my Sig out.

Wow, Nikki! That’s quite a list! I’ll save that!

LOL, XRP!

That’s Martha Freaking Stewart, right Bbbom? :confused:

Thunder33: It doesn’t need to be rebuilt. Yet.

Jaybird: Online golf? I don’t even know how to play real golf. That is unusual however.

YZGuy: I’m sorry. That sucks and it sounds painful too. Take care of it and do all your PT, that’s what they keep telling me. I will either get a Cti2 or a Asterisk (leaning toward the Asterisk for comfort reasons).

Bud: That’s a good idea too. I know the president of the NMA fairly well and he’s a busy guy.
Biological imperative thing? You don’t mean reproducing, do you? Yeah, right! Firecracker is NOT going to create little Firecrackers, not the least of which she hasn’t found a suitable dad candidate yet.
How’s your shoulder? Hope you’re okay! Take care of that. If you were closer we could commiserate and bench race over a beer.

Originally posted by KelvinKDX:
Whatever you do - don't do what my wife did when she broke her pelvis!
And what was that?

Originally posted by Cam Mitchell:
Will you marry me?
That’s a dangerous proposition, darlin’. I’m quite a handful.

Zio: Yup, 6 months at the earliest. Maybe. And I am girly, sometimes. When it facilitates getting my way. :p

YoTRacer158: They will cut off a piece of my patellar tendon and bolt it in. They won’t use a cadaver. There is a risk of infection and my doc prefers not to.

SPD: I baked butterscotch chocolate chip cookies last week. :)

Well, thanks guys. I spent the weekend walking around Las Vegas on it at the US Open and it is sooooo sore. I just made plans to spend a week with my mommy after I have it done so I can have someone wait on me while I convalesce. I am really nervous about this whole deal. This is a big thing as I’ve never hurt myself before. I will definitely do everything they tell me in physical therapy.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I'd actually rather not have my project vehicle at the moment, I don't have the cash to do what I want with it (i.e. built 351) and I can't find an old Falcon Sprint to canabilize for some good 5 lug spindles and rear end. Perhaps someday I'll finish it :think

Tracktor2

Oct 3, 2001
I had the same injury about 5 years ago. 6-8 months sounds a little long. I was was told about 2-4 months.
I was walking without crutches in one month and riding in about 2 1/2. I went back to work for Les Schwab after 2 months.
My knee feels great, no problems since. ( except for the occasional ache when the weather changes, but that is in both knees!)
The best orthopedic surgeon in the NW for moto is south of Portland about 30 miles in Mcminnville. I drive from Vancouver, WA to see him and it is way worth it. Besides I've put his kids through college!

Giles

Top Bottom