What do you think of my KX fork conversion?

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
KDX200Kev said:
More than likely you will need to make a stop to prevent your forks from hitting your gas tank. I used a strip of metal attached to the frame stop.
I heard that. What & how did you use to secure and build up that area??

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Green Hornet said:
I heard that. What & how did you use to secure and build up that area??
Sorry for the poor pics but you get the idea.
KDXforkconversion002.jpg

KDXforkconversion010.jpg

KDXforkconversion012.jpg

KDXforkconversion018.jpg

KDXforkconversion005.jpg

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
i am also doing the kx conversion. I was just wondering some things. What is the main terrrain you ride? Also what do you have your forks sprung at. Im thinking of getting a set of 02 forks. Did you disable the bladder in your forks or no??

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Ryan12833 said:
i am also doing the kx conversion. I was just wondering some things. What is the main terrrain you ride? Also what do you have your forks sprung at. Im thinking of getting a set of 02 forks. Did you disable the bladder in your forks or no??

My forks are 2003 model year so they do not have the bladder. The forks spring rate is 0.42, which for my weight (195 lbs in my birthday suit) works really well. I had .38 in my KDX forks but my KX fork feels smoother in the bumps. At this time I ride the desert but I would like to do some woods riding. The forks work awesome in whoops, rocky sections, sand ... etc.. The bike handles so good now.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Terrain

Hopefully I'll get my KDX out in a few weeks to test the handling post KX fork conversion. I ride all tight woods. We'll see how it compares to the KTMs.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Sweet bikes! Mind if I drop my bike off next winter for a detail? I do have one criticism though. The lever position on the KDX looks very ackward. Again, nice bikes!

psdzorb

Dec 3, 2005
Looks like you've done a great job. How does it handle? By the way, what kind of pipe protector do you have and where'd you get it.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
he has the eline pipe guard, it is about $125. Not cheap. I have one on my bike, they look nice untill you dump the bike, but it does have great protection.

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
yeah, if you take a real dump or really brush trees the carbon fiber will get nicked/chipped. But I do not like the bulk and hassle of the aluminum guards. I have e-lines on all my bikes and they have some nicks in them here and there but nothing major.

Last edited:

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
lumpy, i passed up a pair of 02 kx125 forks for $140 with triple tree and bars and fender. I know this seems crazy but i cant find spring anywere for them? Will only 02 kx springs work?? I looked at racetech but they are $110. Also what did you do about the bladder. I am very interested. So far i have a 99 kx wheel with new tire i got for $100 with shipping.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
psdzorb said:
Looks like you've done a great job. How does it handle? By the way, what kind of pipe protector do you have and where'd you get it.
It's amazing the difference. Very stable and secure for riding rocky sections, sand washes, and whoops. Its unfortunate that Kawasaki did not upgrade the KDX forks to KX forks for its last few years. :(

The pipe protector is an e-line. Its already took one good hit leaving only scratches on it. :cool:

Last edited:

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
Ryan, I suspect springs from other years will work, though I believe Kawi has kept changing the springs from year to year. You should ask a local shop whether other springs will work. My local shop said there are a number of interchangeable parts with the YZ. You can also check out mx-tech and factory connection, though I think you will find that new springs run in the $100-$110 range regardless of where you go to get them. As for the bladder, I am leaving it alone for now. I bought this bike for my wife, then decided to refurb it and play around with it to see what I could do with it. It's been a great project so far. But it may never see the abuse my other bikes (KTMs) see. It's an extra bike for the wife and friends to ride so there was no reason to do the fork swap other than I wanted a winter project. I am hoping to take it out this w/e for its maiden voyage and try to run the suspension through its paces to see how it performs. Currently, it is set up for a much heavier rider than me so I expect it will have a harsh ride.

With the KDX being phased out, there was no incentive for Kawi to put KX forks on the last year's production of the bike.

Ryan12833

Mar 4, 2006
what are you all talking about they are still making the kdx. just not the 220. If you look on kawasaki the kdx200 is on there. I hope they dont stop production. :ohmy:

Lumpyboy

Jan 14, 2006
KDXKev, did you use a shim of any sorts around the top of your stem? From FLBusa's post, he used a spacer that he made himself to go above the stem nut (I just used a big washer than my local shop gave me), since the KDX stem, when mounted into the KX lower clamp, is longer. But he also said that the KDX stem is about .055" smaller in diameter than the KX stem and therefore he put a very thin shim around the top of the stem inside the upper clamp I assume. I tried this and the space just was so tight and small that I had no luck getting any kind of shim into it. It made me wonder whether it's really necessary. After spending a lot of time trying to get a shim in there, I just bagged it. Given how small the difference is and the fact that the stem nut and stem head nut tighten securely around the upper clamp, I just can't see this being an issue. Wondered what you did.

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
Lumpyboy said:
KDXKev, did you use a shim of any sorts around the top of your stem? From FLBusa's post, he used a spacer that he made himself to go above the stem nut (I just used a big washer than my local shop gave me), since the KDX stem, when mounted into the KX lower clamp, is longer. But he also said that the KDX stem is about .055" smaller in diameter than the KX stem and therefore he put a very thin shim around the top of the stem inside the upper clamp I assume. I tried this and the space just was so tight and small that I had no luck getting any kind of shim into it. It made me wonder whether it's really necessary. After spending a lot of time trying to get a shim in there, I just bagged it. Given how small the difference is and the fact that the stem nut and stem head nut tighten securely around the upper clamp, I just can't see this being an issue. Wondered what you did.
I used a thin brass shim that I formed by wrapping it around the steer tube froming a C. I got the shim from a hobby store. I was thinking of getting a thinner shim so I can wrap it all the way around the stem to fill the space. I don't know if it is necessary to do but considering there is no space from the factory its probably a good idea.

Last edited:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Ryan12833 said:
what are you all talking about they are still making the kdx. just not the 220. If you look on kawasaki the kdx200 is on there. I hope they dont stop production. :ohmy:

Within the next year or two the most on the KDX, then its HISTORY :(

KawiDave

Feb 3, 2005
WOW!! Your mod is sweet! I like it... Thanks for a good break down on the parts/costs. I now have a new project for my '02! I would imagine a trick set of trip clamps would work too. Anyway, I'll post pics of my baby when I get done!

KDX200Kev

Sep 22, 2003
KawiDave said:
WOW!! Your mod is sweet! I like it... Thanks for a good break down on the parts/costs. I now have a new project for my '02! I would imagine a trick set of trip clamps would work too. Anyway, I'll post pics of my baby when I get done!
Thanks! I still need to figure out how to get the KX brake cable and headlight to be happy with each other. Its worth this effort since I find my KX front brake system to be better than the KDX.

Top Bottom