Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Hopefully your not on here just to argue and I'll take the time to explain this.

A true professional engine builder with a chassis dyno will have to establish a base line to compare any changes to , so they have to know all factors including fuel quality.
They can also check what the fuel quality actually is.

Some fuel companies just play numbers games and their " 114 " is not better than anothers 100 .

You should have known :bang:

Lets get this thread back on track as to what fuel people have found works well for them. :) Thanks guys

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Kaw4me said:
They can also check what the fuel quality actually is.

I hate to break it to you, but somebody is selling you a bill of goods if they are telling you they can do octane number verification on their dyno setup.

They can tell you if X or Y fuel knocks with a certain engine/tuning combination, but that's the pretty much the extent of it.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
So there is no miracle dyno machine, straightens your frame and spits out the antiquated octane rating? And, I still really do not care what the octane rating is, as long as no new holes appear in the top of my piston? That leaves, throttle response, and the local gas station in any of my bikes, can still put me on my back! Joe's link to Precision does not work in the same paragraph as vp, too funny! Nobody would agree with you Kaw guy, quicker than I that ethanol blows, but the rest. And in the grand scheme of dirt bikes, and the high maintenance schedules, it really does not matter, but to less than 50~100 people in the country? Or the guy that REALLY likes the smell of purple fuel$ Vintage Bob

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
So there is no miracle dyno machine, straightens your frame and spits out the antiquated octane rating? And, I still really do not care what the octane rating is, as long as no new holes appear in the top of my piston? That leaves, throttle response, and the local gas station in any of my bikes, can still put me on my back! Joe's link to Precision does not work in the same paragraph as vp, too funny! Nobody would agree with you Kaw guy, quicker than I that ethanol blows, but the rest. And in the grand scheme of dirt bikes, and the high maintenance schedules, it really does not matter, but to less than 50~100 people in the country? Or the guy that REALLY likes the smell of purple fuel$ Vintage Bob

I hear ya. it's a more placebo thing than real world performance.
Unless your a 250 lights team rider with a 15-1 compression engine then there's really no need.

I must have misunderstood when I was told about the octane testing as the guy who told me is a very reputable racer.
He won the Irwindale Ca. race a few years back.

1998RM250

Nov 5, 2008
Hey what do you guys think about marine fuel from a local marina? Theres also a store here that sells straight gas no additives for about 20 cents more per gallon, I figured its probably the same as marine fuel?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Any time you have a chance to buy truely pure gasoline with no
alcohols of any kind , DO IT.
I'd pay a dollar or two more a gallon for that kind of fuel.

Just my opinion of course ,, I hate ethanol ! :yell:

I was putting our mowers away today and treating the gas with Marine Sta-bil .
I noticed that the fuel lines and clear in line filters are all soft from
this crap.

Fuel companies to us --- :nener:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
1998RM250 said:
Hey what do you guys think about marine fuel from a local marina? Theres also a store here that sells straight gas no additives for about 20 cents more per gallon, I figured its probably the same as marine fuel?
The premix?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Kaw4me said:
I hear ya. it's a more placebo thing than real world performance.
Unless your a 250 lights team rider with a 15-1 compression engine then there's really no need.

I must have misunderstood when I was told about the octane testing as the guy who told me is a very reputable racer.
He won the Irwindale Ca. race a few years back.

Maybe not specifically a dynometer but a company like this.

http://www.intertek.com/petroleum/testing/octane/

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Most boats run on lower octane fuel, premix regular, and some have leaded regular no oil? It may have less water in it than the gas station you used the last time? I do not recall ever seeing higher octane?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
1998RM250 said:
I'm talkin about the marine gas pumps on the water,
my buddy owns a marina and thats all he runs in his bike and swears by it.

Most Marina's have 87 or 89 octane fuel. I guess I'm confused about the no oil content comments . Your premixing the gas with
oil anyway . A stock bike should run great off this fuel.
If you ever wanted a higher octane just mix 1 gallon of race gas into that next five gallons you mix up.

Which State still has no-ethanol marine gas ?

sx2504life

Sep 30, 2009
Here in australia we can still buy fuel with no ethnoly crap ino its crap cause my ute get 1/2 the distance per tank even less if im towing or have a load on it and i was take to the local machinic and he said if you do use it make sure you dont let your car or bike or what ever sit there for too long cause it can seperate from the fuel and in a stock car engine a hit of streight ethnoly will burn it out quicker then you could pull over and nobody likes a premy rebuild cause of stupid fuel

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
I read in an article than when you mix 2-cycle with gas it lowers
the octane by roughly 2 points and the btu's increase slightly.

Does anybody now if that is true.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Each oil will have it's own unique influence on the combustion process. It's been my experience that the better oils have the least effect on combustion and jetting because their chemically correct air/fuel ratio tends to be very close to the fuels we use. This is one of those areas where I'm afraid the only way to know for sure is to test it and document it.

From my personal experience Mobil MX2T and Phillips Xamax seem to have little or no effect on the jetting or combustion process even when a lot (up to 9 oz/gallon about 15:1 ratio) of oil is used.

Oils like Yamalube 2R and Golden Spectro seemed (again in my experience) to have a much greater influence, so adding more oil tended to lean the engine out and influence combustion to a greater degree. Different engines will likely react differently as well.

People who claim exact numbers on octane influence and BTU changes are just pulling S.W.A.G out of their ass.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
sx2504life said:
Here in australia we can still buy fuel with no ethnoly crap ino its crap cause my ute get 1/2 the distance per tank even less if im towing or have a load on it and i was take to the local machinic and he said if you do use it make sure you dont let your car or bike or what ever sit there for too long cause it can seperate from the fuel and in a stock car engine a hit of streight ethnoly will burn it out quicker then you could pull over and nobody likes a premy rebuild cause of stupid fuel

Their going to be feeding us 15% Ethanol probably within the next year here in the states. :yell: Nascar has already anounced that E-15 will be the fuel in all three major divisions.
But ! Their situation is very different than ours as the fuel may be in the car for a day or two at the most then the whole system will
be flushed out.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
For what I do, mx riding and old, the difference is a non issue. 927 premix rules, Xamax is expensive and a world better! Just like coughing up the coin for Firepower race fuel. I get exactly what I pay for at the pump. I recall a thread about fuel where a guy was going to the paint store and buying toluene and making a concoction, of course it worked, but? The air breathers at the refinery, or garage only know what they have done, under lab conditions and not figuring. And that means controlled conditions until its analyzed. I need to go by BP's newest refinery in Whiting Indiana and check on the progress, it does not look like the old one, and way cooler! Now a truck and gas mileage, you bet a difference shows up, the drag strip, and a lab. Even Pro racers in mx and sx can run on lesser fuels.

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
After a ton of research , they is no majic pill to ad to your fuel to combat the ethanol. Yes I do run 927 in our bikes and their tech. dept says it mixes fine with E-10 , just does not make the base fuel any better.

Next summer I'll be mixing in 20-25% 100 octane unleaded to help
enhance the crap we get out of the pumps.

It may be a placebo effect but it's got to help in many ways.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I've been running the local Torco 100 that still has ethanol/mon 97 ron 104 and HP2 at 32:1.

I'm looking for a switch in 2T oil next year that will work in all my apps ie. current, non-current, and evo (vintage). I'll stick with synthetics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
This may be off the subject of this thread but I despise Ethanol so bad that I run a mixture of 2oz. marvel / 2 oz. twc-3 2 cycle to every 15 gallon fill up in my car. The added lubrication has to combat the 1.5 gallons of Ethanol and I see no diifference on my plug readings. :cool:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Aside from a few built race bikes requiring race gas or detonate, I have never had a bike bog/run crappy from pump fuel. Luck? Jet around it? Am I missing something? I know I can get better fuel, it will run even crisper. Except for the pros, and smelling cool, and sure if I could afford it, great! But? I just can not get around safely with out it or something? And not the semi driving across countries fuel mileage, again?

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Aside from a few built race bikes requiring race gas or detonate, I have never had a bike bog/run crappy from pump fuel. Luck? Jet around it? Am I missing something? I know I can get better fuel, it will run even crisper. Except for the pros, and smelling cool, and sure if I could afford it, great! But? I just can not get around safely with out it or something? And not the semi driving across countries fuel mileage, again?

The pump fuel problem is going to be even worse when they start
feeding us E-15 next year. :yell: The gas companies are trying to keep
us warm and fuzzy by saying they'll have both E-10 and E-15 available but lets be realistic as to the cost of adding more tanks
and pumps at gas stations.
What they should do is have a tank with zero Ethanol and a tank
of straight Ethanol and that way we can buy the percentage that we want ,,,,hmm ,, that would never happen.

NO , THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT FUEL MILEAGE , ITS ABOUT THE QUALITY OF FUEL WE RUN IN OUR BIKES :nod:
We have a pair of KDX 2 strokes.

Last edited:

Kaw4me

Feb 15, 2010
Ethanol it self is actually a high octane fuel.
The negatives of the product are more of a concern than the octane.

Please only reply if you can contribute positive comments.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom