What is the best state to live in for riding??

Dirteater

Jan 24, 2001
Who says there is no year round riding in Pheonix? I can only assume you are referring to the heat with the lack of snow since I have been out here. I live in probably the hottest part of the country and we ride all year long. If you can't take the heat durring the day then just get a light and ride in the cool 90 degree nights. Besides the only time you notice the heat is when you stop.
I guess that last post got me excited but, I have had to sit inside because of snow and I would rather get out to ride at 5am to catch the cool air than have to wine about the heat.

erac

Apr 9, 2001
bills442, There are two (2) national forests an hour away from where I live (Ohio). And there are two GNCC races locally, so there must be a few places to ride in Ohio.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Re: Kalis' ride-

It is very common here in California that not all the legal riding areas are listed. Sometimes you have to go out and find them, especially the ones in the forests. ( Our little secret! ) Kevins' and Kalis' experience is a prime example. I can think of other trails I've seen that I've never seen listed anywhere.
Makes me wonder if they are intentionally trying to keep the numbers down.:think

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Hey guys, what's so bad about Texas? I love riding at Muenster, Flying P (before it closed, non-dirtbike related reasons), Rocky Ridge, Twin Hills, Sam Houston, etc. Not to mention all the tracks for you MX guys. You wanna race? Hell we got the largest Cross Country circuit around (aside from the Nationals), and just about the best Enduro and Hare Scramble circuits there is. I love it here. Although I'd love to ride in Colorado or Utah or somewhere around there. That's the only drawback to most of Texas, there's not much to look at in the scenery department, well I guess the Red River is beautiful (it is pretty cool though). You can keep your California with all them fruits, nuts, and such. I'm staying here.

Kawi250Kid

May 23, 2001
I live in Ca currently, and most likely going to be moving to Las Vegas, NV. How is the riding around there? it is close to Ca so i could always ride here, but something close would be great. How are the laws in Nevada?

Yamamoto

Uhhh...
Apr 3, 2001
Its Not Florida

I love the state of Florida, but riding here is not very good when compaired to other states. Yes we have some tracks and a few state parks thats about all.

I wana do some creek crossing and get lost somewhere my problem is that I was born in Maine and I love the woods and cannot find an area that I would need to bring a compass.

We have an area called Croom and they say bring a compass but I cannot get lost there if i tried. with the sun and the state roads know exactly where I am at no matter where I am at, and to me that bites.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Originally posted by Jason81
"I used to live in New Mexico and that place was like a dirt bikers Disneyland..."

It WAS?? / is??
Well, it's not bad i guess. Trouble is it takes 2 to 4 hours to get from 1 good riding spot to the next. And then it's mostly sand anyway.
I'll vote for anyplace without much sand.
Pennsylvainia has some great trails. Much better than what ive seen here in NM so far anyways.
Or just the northeast in general. :D

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
I've lived, and ridden, in more than one state. Each one has advantages and disadvantages when it comes to riding. I think possible the best "place" to live and ride is Baja. The only disadvantages there are the water and Pemex.

Of course I'd still like to ride the Mauna Kea Enduro someday.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Here is my vote for MICHIGAN. For the trail/woods rider you can not beat our trail system. Two pennisulas and so many trails!!!!!

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
NVR FNSH - Designated riding areas - what are those??

In Nevada you ride anywhere you want until you here a gunshot! We don't have any stinking rules, stickers, or designated areas.

Riding in Nevada sucks!! - STAY AWAY:p

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Originally posted by Jaybird
California- 16

Wrong. My California OHV guide book lists around 120 (it actually lists 128, but its also 8 years old)

If you were to add up all of the available riding acreage it would be the 12th largest state. :p

Last edited:

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
OOOOOOklahoma where the winds come sweeping down the plains
and where the waving wheat can sure smell sweet....

EVERYONE JOIN IN

Great state with a great song and really good riding....from Murray to Stllwiater to Gruber to Ponca to Draper...the list goes on and on. And you don't have to worry about a bike having a Green, red, blue, orange or whatever other color of stickers the Enviros force on ya.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
California!

Having lived on both sides of the country, (Arizona, as well), I have to say Cali was the best ever. With such a diverse offering, its hard to beat. I really havent been in touch with all the CA land issues, and am not sure whats changed, but I'll never forget Red Rock, Jawbone, and the mountain rides. AWESOME!
:)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by justql
Great state with a great song and really good riding....from Murray to Stllwiater to Gruber to Ponca to Draper...the list goes on and on.

wow...a glowing recommendation and he doesn't even live here. don't forget the dunes. we have dunes too. nothing else is quite like riding dunes.

DIRT DUDE

Jul 12, 2000
Colorado is the place boys!

I do say Colorado my friends,yep in those shinning mountains a man can ride untill he can ride no more,yep thats what I say.A feller might even have a close encounter with a Bull Elk if he ain't watchin where he be headdin.

BSer

May 1, 2001
If you take Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticutt, Rhode Island, and the other more anti-dirtbike New England states and lumped them into one "New England" group there is quite a bit of riding in an area that is still smaller than California, or Arizona, or Texas. Practically every weekend in New England (summertime) there is simultaneously a motocross race, hare scramble, and trials happening.

One thing is for sure though, Wisconsin sucks for dirtbikes.

andym

Jun 3, 2000
I've got to put my 2 cents in here and say southwest Virginia isn't looking too bad anymore.

I've got a trail right behind my house the I can ride about 15 miles. Its great to knock the edge off a day at work. There are also miles and miles of othe semi-legal riding areas. Not too far away there is the Hatfield-McCoy trails in WV, Brown Mtn in NC, Daniel Boone in KY, George Washington Natl forest in central VA, plus there are more I can't even remember.

If MX is your thing, the well know Muddy Creek is just a little over an hour away. I can think of about 10 MX tracks within a couple hours of here.

The only problem is dealer support. There are only 3 nearby shop, one Polaris, one Suzuki (I think he still sells them anyway), and one that just does repairs. If somebody is looking to open a dealership this would be a great place to do it.

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
I'm with BSer. New England. Hey when you group all the states together it is the same size as most states anyway.

BTW you forgot Enduro, Turkey Runs, and Play riding.

trl junkie

Feb 25, 2001
I would have to cast my vote for the year round riding in Cali! Yes, there is every type of terrain, darn near, and the N California area is beyond spectactular!:cool: I dont live there, but have been, and seen--makes me sick!

Top Bottom