2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Just turned 50 and was looking for some products on my shelf the other day and realized my shelf of lube products has matured over the years (Probably more than myself since my sense of humor apparently stopped developing at an eighth-grade level, I'm told). When I was 25, my shelf consisted of three items: a can of wheel bearing grease that usually had a layer of dried bermuda grass under the lid, an open can (yes can) of 10w-40 weight motor oil, and a near-empty can of WD-40.

Now: three different weights of fork oil, four bottles of motor oil of different weights, tube of dielectric grease, tube of anti-sieze, filter oil, chainsaw bar oil, 927 pre-mix oil, three or four other two stroke oils I someday will use on chainsaw/weedeater, three types of transmission fluids, lithium grease, water resistant grease, red wheel bearing grease, black wheel bearing grease, two different weights of gear lube, PB Blaster, a near-empty can of WD-40 (convinced I buy it that way), gun oil, anti rust lube, cable lube, three different chain lubes, compressor oil, air-tool oil and probably four or five other things I can't think of.

Has this happened to anyone else over the years??

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Ain't it nice to be soooo old :nener:
I see you got born on the day (not year) I got married!

Man, I'd hate to try and inventory the stuff I've got, Let's put it this way - I know I have everything you posted plus a few different blends of antiseize, dry graphite, spray teflon, spray silicone, a few different types of wax, and some tallow.

Maybe I don't have the black grease you mention....

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Probably should have stuck this in general topics and maybe someone would play along but then again it's proabably only a topic old gearheads would take the time (better than sitting on the porch). And - a large tube of #105 engine assy. lube which I just happened to move to get at the grease I needed to reassemble the triple tree that just came out of the paint booth.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Uchytil said:
Probably should have stuck this in general topics .

I meant to. But this electronic box on my desk is more complicated than the manual Underwood I grew up pounding on. ...........Sigh............

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Oh boy......lube shelf? I've got a couple of them....

They consist of.....Belray waterproof grease, dielectric grease, brake grease, red bearing grease, white lithium grease, assembly lube, 5w30, 10w30, 10w40, 15w40, straight 30w, fork oil, silicone spray, wd40, pb blaster, an old bottle of 2 stroke tranny oil or two, a couple various premix oils, some coolant, water wetter, a few different brake fluids, a couple different air filter cleaners/oils, some 3 in 1 oil, brakleen, carb cleaner, some brake pad sprays, lock ease, a couple different chain lubes......dang, am I a hoarder? ;)

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
My shelfs have a collection including car oil 4l, diesel van oil, 10l 10w40 several 4l synthetic 2 atv and 1 mineral. Diff oil for atv and van. Fork oil from 2 1/2 to 30 weight mostly dregs. Brake fluid. grease cartridges and Omega red for special stuff. Antiseizes. soapy water squirter to seat tyres. Belray filter oil and putoline for dunking. Compressor oil. Tyre mousse grease. A shoe box full of glues. Spray can of chain wax and tacky for wet or dry rides, can of brake cleaner, can of crc556 also water repeller. refills for blow torch and fog horn and about 10 oil filtersfor van car bike atv. And most importantly spray silicone, many cans for spud cannon propellant and a bag of paintballs for vermin deterrant

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I still have a full quart of Trop Artic motor oil that to the best of my knowlage has not moved from it's place on the shelf since the 70's. I guess it's still there just in case..........?

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Should I have more than just a half can off WD-40 for my 2 cars, truck, boat and trailer, seadoo, 3 dirt bikes, power washer, RC cars, RC plane, RC boat, generator and whatever other money pit I have in the garage?

Yeah, I got a few more lubes on the shelf than back in the day.

Top Bottom