Midhigh

~SPONSOR~
Jul 19, 2002
I personally wouldn't go any learner than 40:1 & jet accordingly
I'm rebuilding a friends 83 KDX 200 that locked up. He used 50:1 ratio synthetic super M.

My .02

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Midhigh said:
I personally wouldn't go any learner than 40:1 & jet accordingly
I'm rebuilding a friends 83 KDX 200 that locked up. He used 50:1 ratio synthetic super M.

My .02

Theoretically there shouldn't be any problems with running 50:1. You've just got to insure that your jetting is correct (ie. not too lean) or your seize the engine just as fast as if you were running 32:1. You also need to follow the oil recommendations. Golden Spectro for example, is supposed to be mixed anywhere between 40:1 and 64:1 depending on the type of riding.

-Maurice

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
I vote for Golden Spectro (in the gold & black bottle) at 40:1. I have used it in all my bikes since 1980. To this very day, I mix it at 40:1 and use it in my KDX, weedwackers, snowthrower and chainsaw. My Homelite chainsaw is over 20 years old and I always ran Golden Spectro.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
i use golden spectro and mix 42:1. Always have since it was the easiest thing to get. I have never had any problems or anything. burns good.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
If you're going to go with Bel Ray, spend the extra $$ and go with the H1R. It's a little higher than the MC-1, but it's a better oil. Go with 40:1 and you're set.

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Most old timers will tell you that your KIPS does better and lasts longer between cleanings with all synthetic oil. I use Maxima all synthetic at 40 to 1 and have had excellent results, but other brands work well too. Whatever you decide to use, don't change brands or ratios and work to jet correctly.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The lower the ratio (the lower the numbers...20:1 is 'lower' than 40:1), the more power a 2-stroke will make.

Ratios change with application. A woods bike (like the kdx) in the 200cc range (like the kdx) is good @ 40:1.

Ride a couple years with a not-so-hot oil and compare your piston diameter to original. That measurement won't be the same if the oil used is better'n-average.

Is this where I say I put 47,000 miles on my original R5-B pistons using QS-30W?

Henry_Bowman

Mar 3, 2003
One vote for HP2

I am a little more conservative than most since I really hate wrenching. I use Honda HP2 synthetic at 32:1. *never* fouled a plug with this mix.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
canyncarvr said:
The lower the ratio (the lower the numbers...20:1 is 'lower' than 40:1), the more power a 2-stroke will make.

Ratios change with application. A woods bike (like the kdx) in the 200cc range (like the kdx) is good @ 40:1.

That seems kinda backwards to me. Bikes don't burn oil to make power they burn gas. So having more oil in the mix for a given volume should result in less power. Maybe i'm just reading this wrong though?

-Maurice

CZ511

Mar 2, 2003
Keep in mind, more oil is not always a better thing. The oil actually holds the heat and the fuel is the coolant. Therefore, there is a very fine balance between oil/gas mixtures. If we mix at 40:1 or 50:1 with decent oil we should all be just fine.

KDXrider045

May 23, 2003
Thanks all!

Thanks all for your opinions...Now I'm really confused :eek:
I've been using Klotz at 32:1 since new. I have to drive a ways to get it however. I've since added to the stable and of course, the other machine has been run on Bel-RAy MC-1 at 50:1. It would be nice to just have one gas can and keep one type of oil in my garage.

moridin

~SPONSOR~
Dec 30, 2003
I switched to MX2T in a crunch during an unplanned ride. Best oil I have ever used. Stuff is synthetic and totally smoke free.

I think most of the KTM guys are converts to MX2T as well. Best of all - it is half the price of other racing oils and available anywhere. Give it a try - you will really like it.

Top Bottom