Butane

Mar 30, 2005
Alright I took my bike out riding at sycamore this weekend and took a couple dirt samples :) but I think I did alright for my 2nd time riding :blah: . NE Way my bike has issues. All and all it runs fine but when I'm in first gear with the clutch held in the bike revs really high over and over and over. (High idle) I believe I have a Keihin PJ carb and have adjusted the choke/idle screw but sit haven't had any luck. Any ideas what the problem might be/advice how to fix?? Thanks

joh9356

Mar 22, 2005
You better make sure you didn't pop an air leak somewhere, or have a stuck throttle cable. Take the carb cap off and check the throttle and return spring. If it goes up and down smoothly check the carb bore where the throttle slide goes. If it is fine and goes up and down fine, check for air leaks on the engine.

cr250can

Feb 16, 2005
I have a 97 cr 250 does the same thing. cousins 98 cr 250 same thing, brothers 98 cr 250 same thing.

On my bike I loosened the carb boots and moved the carb around then retightened carb boots. then put a touch of goop on top the carb where the throttle cable goes to the slide and needle. This helped conciderably.

My next step in new reeds and gaskets. :bang:

fow350

Sep 7, 2004
Air leaks cause the bike to run lean, which is definately bad for a 2-stroke. Also, it lets unfiltered air into the engine--always bad. If the carb checks out start looking for air leaks. Clean everything really well and look over the engine. You will most likely not see anything. You can spray some brake cleaner around the engine (while it is running/idling) and listen for changes in idle. Maybe someone can chime in with something other than brake cleaner to use--may not be the best thing to use.

Top Bottom