nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
In the thread about DW03... it was mentioned to make the MX track a little more tame for DW03. This kinda bumms me (and Red) out because we really liked the track the way it was. It was mostly a bunch of rollable, easier tables but was just challenging enough (like the first table and the step-up). I can see that some of the tables had steep landings and could be a little hairy to come up short on. And the rythm section and step-up took a little skill. So... here's my question:

Where did all of the injuries/crashes occur? (Maybe we can nail it down to a few troublesome obstacles)

Thump/Jaybird/MX-727/Blackhawk?/Billy (goofing off in moto school 2 - does that count) - big step-up

Tree Jumper/No Mo? - rythm section

Oldguy/Platnium - 3rd? table in the back 4

Gomer - small table into woods section

CAL - double before uphill rockers (that was my favorite jump)

dave186 - 2nd table out of start (my second favorite jump)

Elk - camelback after rythm section

Tony Eeds - woods

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
My injury occurred on the camel back behind the start line, all my Suzukis fault, powervalve kicked in during sticking stage, sent me flyin!:scream: The rythm section was cool, not real bad at all. You have to put something in to give challenge.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Injury, what you talkin' 'bout. No injuries here. :)

I did go down off the step-up, but that was more a matter of running off the left side towards the woods. I had a habit of jumping way way left and not leaving myself much room for error if I landed at an angle. Even doing that, I still jumped over someone that elected to roll it at the least second. :eek:

I loved the track and would like to see it exactly the same for next year.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I did not think the track was dangerous at all. It was challenging but easy to roll things and stay out of faster riders way. That IMO makes it much safer than a lot of other tracks I've been too.

I wouldn't call it my favorite track but I would say it is a lot of fun and once I get used to it (next year) it will jump in my standings. It is a hard track to learn for some people (like me :) ) but the track does not need to be tamed down any.

If anything it needs to be longer :)

Ivan

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Mine must have happened in the Orange phone booths.... I've got the worst rash in the wierdest place... :o

Wideratio

Apr 11, 2002
My brother got hurt on the "mini" track 10 minutes after we got there. Dumba$$ didn't take a parade lap and broke his wrist after eating the face of the second jump.
I thought that the main track's jump faces were a little intimidating until I rode it. The more time I spent out there, the better I felt.
You've got to have some tough stuff to keep the fast guys happy and to make the others faster!

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
From what I have seen, you shouldn't base track changes on Gomer. :confused:

You'd end up with all kinds of big jumps and no little stuff for him to crash on.

BillyWho

Sir-Breaks-Alot
Mar 22, 2001
Brownie already said he was going to make it better....not easier, I thought it was really good the way you could roll everything but still jump your brains out if you wanted to, safe but challenging.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Tony's injury doesn't count against the MX track, I was right behind him in the woods when he washed out and jammed his foot into the ground.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by nikki
CAL - double before uphill rockers (that was my favorite jump)

Gee, thanks for pointing that out! :eek: That incident was completely my fault. That was my third time on an MX track. I had turned about 10 laps and was actually clearing all of the jumps except the big table and the uphill stepup (I didn't even want to attempt them). I hit that little double in second gear when I should have been in third. I knew I couldn't make it, but though if I really rang out 2nd I could clear it. My rear wheel clipped it and kicked my sideways. I tried to ride it out, but instead I did a full body dive straight into the ground. I just knew I had broken ribs. After I caught my breath, I realized it hurt my bike worse than it hurt me. I ended up with about 6 bruised ribs, no skin on my forearms, and a really stiff neck. Apparently I tightened my neck and kept my head from hitting the ground. I think next time I’ll just let my noggin smack the ground. That ended my MX career at DW02. :ugg: At least I can show people the full length scratches on the front of my chest protector and say "those came from Cooperland!" ;)

I also hit my head on a BIG tree and a little later, nailed two trees and went down HARD on the last lap of the Harescramble. I took it like a man and hopped right back on the bike, though. I knew if I lost 3rd position I wouldn't get a plaque! :silly:

Last edited:

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
My 1st get off was in the 1st moto in the B class. As I came around the curve coming out the woods all the roost from the 3 guys in front of me made it impossible to see the tree I was heading for. By the time I got back in shape Blackhawk ran me over...(women drivers :p )

My 2nd get off was in the 2nd moto during the B class at the 1st corner. 2 or 3 in front of me went down & when I stopped to keep from running them over I got smacked again but I can't say the bike was yellow for sure.

I really liked the track. It looked a lot more intimidating at 1st glance than it really was. I had a hard time reading the dirt to tell if a berm would hold, often times it wouldn't but I eventually learned to just go for it. I couldn't bring myself to commit to the big up hill step up for fear of missing 6 weeks of work after DW. ;) All the rest of the jumps were just plain fun and very forgiving. The rhythm section was just something that will take me some time to work out, I have a hard time judging my speed & distance to hit that section as well as most of the others.

The only section that I wasn't too fond of was the turn coming out of the woods, I had a hard time there all week and it showed in my 1st B moto.

B

biglou

Agent Orange and I were the first to discover CAL laying in the middle of the track. I come around that left-hander and thought I saw a bike laying up there and then I see Corey stick his hand up like, "HEY, you big lummox, don't run over me!". Lucky thing for him I was able to scrub off the incredible speed I was traveling ( :silly: ) and flag for him. He was winded for sure for about 5 minutes. Killer drag marks on the CP, too! Lucky thing your a youngin'. That fall woulda killed me!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ok, well, I guess I'm the bad guy here :o . I suggested that the rythem section and the big step up be elimenated for the C class race and the bikes with lights. For those that ride tracks often, Cooperland's layout was not that bad. However, you take a large group of riders that want to have fun on the track but don't get on the track very often or even NEVER, the rythem section and the big step up were a bit much. I wouldn't have suggested a change for regular MX racers. This was suggested because we want everyone, EVERYONE to enjoy the opportunity on the track, not just those with experience. The injuries speak for themselves.
When our group rode Cooperland in July, the track was awsome for average riders. Cooperland is not just open for Dirtweek, so, the regular racers wanted more and they got it. The changes were significant in my opinion and were, to some degree, a contributing factor in the injuries. I chose NOT to race not because of my lack of ability but I recognized my limitations on the track. My desire to race someone would have let me put myself into a dangerous situation. Everyone has a bit of competitive spirit so it is easy to over ride your abilities even when it is for fun.
I enjoyed watching Billy, Doug, Guy, and Kris airing it out and riding hard. I only dream of riding that smoothly. My limitations are different from everyone elses but my concerns were for the OVERALL safety of everyone, not just the fast guys. I can take the ribbing for my short comings as a rider but I doubt that my concerns were unfounded or unwarrented.
We, as riders, take a risk every time we swing a leg over a bike, it is inherent and I believe that we accept that risk(I do!). Should we as a group, not look out for those less experienced or skilled, at least in some degree? I'm not saying to mother these riders or second guess them, rather, point out and help elimenate the greatest of the hazards during an event like Dirtweek. Injuries will happen. We as a GROUP having FUN should be concerned that our vacations be as safe as can be even if it may not be the most challenging for all that attend.
Sorry if you don't see my point of view but that's just the way I see it.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by billywho
I thought it was really good the way you could roll everything but still jump your brains out if you wanted to, safe but challenging.

When, exactly, did you ROLL anything? :think:

You must mean that time you doubled through the rythmns instead of tripling. :aj:

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
nothing wrong with the second table, its just that i got tired or something and came up short. now that first table, if that corner right before it wasnt there.....

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by RoosteR13
Tony's injury doesn't count against the MX track, I was right behind him in the woods when he washed out and jammed his foot into the ground.
At one MPH no less .... I wish I had taken out a tree like the Bunster ... :)

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
the big step up wouldn't need to be removed, it could just be short circuited for whichever classes. I guess it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if the rhythm section was changed, but ultimately it's always up to the rider to make a decision on what to attempt and what not to attempt. There are race tracks around here with nothing but rounded humps and flat corners, and the injury rate is just as high or higher than at a track like cooperland.

blackhawk468

President of Bling
N. Texas SP
Nov 3, 2000
I liked the track the way it is. it was perfect. I got my injury on the step-up but I wasn't even trying to jump it. Stuff happens.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I hit the big step-up several times successfully, had the sense not to try the larger camelback, but ended up busting my butt on a little step-up because I backed off at the last minute.

The track gave you the option to go slowly as well as the option to go for it. With a little more instruction for the slow riders to stay to one side and the fast riders to the other, they can both share the track safely at whatever speed they choose.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
My injury occured my 2nd. time around the big track. I got all excited and went soaring into the rythym section and endoed big time and hit my chest against the bars with mach I and ended up knocking the wind out of myself which later turned out to be a frachured rib, but it didn't stop me.

Top Bottom