corpblues

Jan 1, 2004
Are there areas to ride around the Lewisville, Frisco, The Colony area?

Marshal Creek is the closest area that I am aware of and it is about an hour.

I live in The Colony and they closed down the area between The Colony and Frisco. Someone complained about the noise... Would love to find somewhere for short rides during the week.

My son and I are newbies and all the places we have located are an hour away.

We went to Rip Char yesterday and had a great time although the main trail was little difficult for newbies. Both my son an I lost it in the soft sand the first time around.

We will head to Munster next weekend since it will have more open room to practice riding.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Ya gotta pretty much drive to go anywhere decent....

There is always Shady Grove out by TX Stadium. It is a practice MX track that is awesome - that is if your definition of awesome includes the terms "hardpack" and "dusty" :)

If your definition of awesome includes the above terms, then you will also like Boondoxxx out by Lake Lavon. It has a kids "track", a peewee "track", a MX "track", and some trails too.

Oh - there is a little bit of sand out at Muenster too, or so I hear. :laugh:
Muenster is truly awesome though.

Try Rocky Ridge for starters - it is closer than Muenster and not as sandy with lots of open area for practicing basic skills.

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
taraker said:
Ask Thump, he knows all the places to ride

I wouldn't ask Thump because he only knows exactly TWO places to ride:

1) Shady Grove
2) Nocona

The reality is that he left his old track (Shady Grove) for his new one (Nocona).

To say that Thump has a one-track mind is the understatement of the year!

:laugh:

Last edited:

70Goat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2002
I would recommend Rocky Ridge. It is closer than Bulcher, and it has much less sand. Rocky Ridge also has a lake if you want fish, a mini track to practice turns, trees, hills, and a big flat open area if you just want to go fast. I would however caution you on going after a rain. Rocky Ridge can be quite messy after a rain; it goes back to that much less sand bit.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Where is the Bad Lands?

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
Okiewan said:
Where is the Bad Lands?
Badlands MX is hardly suited for a novice rider on a TTR225 ... although many many moons ago when I just returned to the sport I took one out there. It was brutal. Almost ripped the right foot peg off from the harsh bottoming from jumping the finish line table top. :ohmy:

jeffd

Naïve Texan
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2000
corpblues said:
Can someone give me directions or a website link for Rocky Ridge?

From Dallas/Ft. Worth take 35E or 35W north to Denton. Turn west on 380 to Decatur. At Decatur, turn north on 51. The Ranch will be 18 miles on your left. From Ft. Worth you can also take 287 northwest to Decatur and then turn north on 51. There is a sign for the Ranch by the road and you can see motorcycle tracks coming out of a gravel pit down by the road.

940-466-3792

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
as a rider who has spent plenty of time at rocky ridge, i confirm all of the above about the place. most of the soil content is black clay which becomes the slickest stickyest stuff imaginable when wet. great for dirt track cars .... no fun on bikes. there are lots of trails and hills to climb, great open areas for the kids. my favorite is the area north of suicide hill. just beware of the traffic....this place sees lots of bikes.

Top Bottom