Rhodester

May 17, 2003
mOrie, C Dave points out in your linked thread that it's '95 and newer that is the same (not '97 and newer). My '95 carb had a #5 airstriker type slide in it (before I ground it to #7). Thanks for the link.

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
Sorry 'bout that...kinda glossed over the years :-) but it looks like you found the info you were looking for so glad I could help.

-Maurice

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
wassup skipro,

My 220 has an RB'd PWK and head (set up for pump gas), stock porting and K-30 pipe. Plenty of "excitement" with CEK/CEL needles, 42/152 jets. Actually, sometimes maybe a little too much for some of the more technical situations, as
the power can be a kinda uncontrollable at times.

For a nice linear easily modulated power delivery,my particular bike likes the 1173 clip 4/5.It's the same taper as the B series- and the BEL is pretty close, but the 1173 works nicest-clean, no surprises; lets you control the excitement, not the other way around. Hope this helps.

Dave

"your results may vary..."

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
bleedngreen said:
wassup skipro,

My 220 has an RB'd PWK and head (set up for pump gas), stock porting and K-30 pipe. Plenty of "excitement" with CEK/CEL needles, 42/152 jets. Actually, sometimes maybe a little too much for some of the more technical situations, as
the power can be a kinda uncontrollable at times.

For a nice linear easily modulated power delivery,my particular bike likes the 1173 clip 4/5.It's the same taper as the B series- and the BEL is pretty close, but the 1173 works nicest-clean, no surprises; lets you control the excitement, not the other way around. Hope this helps.

Dave

"your results may vary..."
So Dave, if I understand you right, the stock needle (1173) is what you are using, along with the CEK and you swap them as conditions indicate?
And Wib, you saying that I can "detune" the thing for tight woods by cranking on the air screw and don't need to mess with a needle swap? I remember a post somewhere that you or CC made stating that the RB mod has two sweet spots for the air screw with different characteristics. Could you reiderate or direct me to that post?
As always thanks, you guys are great!
I'm leaving the "office" now and heading over to see if my head and waterspout gaskets are in.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Re: BEL 'pretty close' to an 1173K

Not particularly.

The BEL is considerably richer at 1/8 throttle..gets closer to the 1173 as you go down the needle. Enough of a difference to cause some big throttle response problems in that area.

This has been hashed about to death...but one more swipe.

The CEK on an RB-modified (36mm pwk for the kdx) carb is a handful. If that's what you want that's fine. A 'B' slope is kind of boring. I think you're missing out on a good compromise if you don't try a 'D' needle..like a DEK.

If a 152 fits for the main, I'd be suspicious of a 42. A 40 is worth a try.

But the big deal is the airscrew as wibby mentions. It will matter all the way up thru 3rd gear up to 1/2 throttle.

Get one of Ron's new pilot screws for easy finger adjustment and spend some time with it out in the 2 to 2 3/4 area. Right around 2 1/2 you will find a smooth power delivery that will surprise you if you have been dealing with a CEK with a 1 1/2 or less airscrew adjustment. You will still be able to pick the front-end up any time you wish, but it won't be the abrupt surprise that comes with the CEK and lesser airscrew.

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Thanks CC, (again) I'm ordering a DEK as we speak. Ron's screw is already in. In fact, I have been working on a way to detent the action in 1/16 turn increments. I just called my local shop and the gaskets won't be in today, tomorrow he says. Oh well. Also just got the word I am working Friday (my normal day off). So I may not have a chance to kick the old gal over until Saturday. Sunday I'm off to Rock Creek, AKA Mace Mill and Bald Mt. to field test. Flew over it all today for dropping off and picking up snow survey crews and it is free of snow, so it should be good to go there.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
With just a minute or less of orientation you can get the feel for 1/16 adjustment real quick.

Detent ops would be cute..but you don't really need it.

You'll love it!!

bleedngreen

Jan 9, 2004
Hi skipro, as far different needles for different terrains, that pretty much nutshells it. In tight woods or real sloppy conditions, the 1173 works for me... When finding traction isn't an issue out in the wide open spaces though, I can just pop in the CEL and roost. Still haven't tried the D tapers just yet.

I should've prefaced things by saying my bike's set up to be street legal, so I've made some compromises that probably aren't acceptable to everyone --but I hope my input can be of some help in your quest for the golden ring regarding jetting your 220.

CC; as far as B tapers being boring, to each his own... I mean, one man's cocaine might be another man's valium--so to speak. Or maybe I'm just getting too old. That being said, I must get my a$$ in gear and try some D tapers...

Wibby--You are correct, sir, about the profound effect of the A/S in the RB carb--especially when compared to the stock carb--but I don't think any amount of A/S fiddlin' will make an
optimized B taper needle have the same power delivery characteristics as an optimized C taper or even D taper for that matter. Kinda like puttin a vacuum secondary carb on an old ZL-1 Camaro... Still a snarling beast, just a touch more civilized.

Now, if you wanna start changing cams, well there's a topic for another forum...

Dave

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
Well, the bike is back together and it's time to report to anyone who might be interested in my initial impressions and the mods performance. To save everyone the trouble of reading my findings if they are reading this thread for some of the other great information a discussions that are co-mingled, I'm going to start a new thread on the upgrade results. I "think" I can figure out how to embed a link from this one to the new one and visa-versa. Click here for the continuing saga:
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?p=758305#post758305

Top Bottom