Who should I have work on my suspension

Yamaboy

Jun 12, 2001
Who should I have do my suspension work. A local shop or suspension professionals (PC, RG3, Pro Action, Race Tech, etc.) I am interested in quality but I don't want to spend tons of money since I am on a budget.

I am 5'11" and 195. I know I should have my bike resprung. Should I also get a revalve. I am by no means a professional. Also, I ride a 00 YZ250.

Any advice is welcome such as who you've used or what experience you have had good OR bad. I've twaeked motors a bit, but don't know a lot about the internals of suspension.

Last edited:

tankslapper

Aug 20, 2002
I would definitely recommend Pro-Action from experience. I tend to mess around with my own valving these days but a couple of years ago had a RM125 that was handling like a muel and I could not get my head round it, I rang their head office and they put me in touch with Dori at the California HQ and he sorted the bike by changing the internals of the forks and shock, the bike handled so well after that. I have also had some work done previous to that by Enzo on a YZ125 and that was pretty good although always remained a bit harsh.

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Originally posted by Yamaboy
I am interested in quality but I don't want to spend tons of money since I am on a budget.

Yamaboy from the companies listed RG3 is the only way to go. Pro-Action does very poor work.

I've meet Rob a few times now and riden some of his work, its very good!

BR,
Jer

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
why dont you buy the correct rate springs and start from there? it will be good stop gap, and you wont have to fork out for the whole lot in one go if you want the full respring and revalve.

tankslapper

Aug 20, 2002
"Pro-Action does very poor work"?

Wow mn, thats a strong statement to make, all I can say is there are more Pro-Action fork stickers on bikes in CA than any other company so their work cannot be all that bad. You hear good and bad about all companies, particularly from other companies trying to discredit their competitors, but I am only answering Yamaboys thread from experience. My advice Yamaboy is to talk to the riders at the tracks with different set ups and if possible ride some bikes that are set up to your weight, ability etc and make your own mind up. Give all the companies a ring and form an opinion for yourself, I just gave you mine!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
TS,
I don't discredit my competiors. Thats why I rutinely recomend them. However in my opinion PA dose not adhere to standards as stringent as that of other professional builders. If thats good enough for you no problem. If you had a good exsperence great, and your opioion is just as valid as mine!

BR,
Jer

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think the pro action is hit and miss. It looks like anyone can buy a franchise (complete with cute window stickers) and call themselves a suspension shop.

No doubt there are some good ones (the locals swear by the one in Heber, UT) but there are bound to be some loosers. Hell, even McDonalds is not immune to a bad franchisee. Personally, I would send my stuff to jeremy. Why? He is the only one that bothers to answer all my goofy questions. If he cares enough to spend his time online (free) I think he is in the business for more than money.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The last pro action shock i serviced didnt have the pro action piston but did have the 3 stage valving.I really hope he wasnt charged for a new piston.

shaggy829

~SPONSOR~
May 28, 2001
all I can say is there are more Pro-Action fork stickers on bikes in CA than any other company so their work cannot be all that bad.

the p.a. guys that i have have seen will jump at any chance to put stickers on any bike. they will even replace a competitors sticker with theirs .it is a marketing and advertising strategy . they simply want to drill pro-action into every riders sub-conscious of every rider they can.
i consider this strategy trickery and deceitful .
shaggy

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I've got Renthal stickers on my bike and they are the only thing "Renthal" made on my bike, stickers are just that, simple decoration.

I think if you do a search in this forum you'll find some threads that may make you want to rethink usng PA. As for discrediting competitors I think Jer was straight to the point and recommended a competitor (RG3) from the list Yamaboy supplied, he also pointed out a weak competitor in his opinion that he couldn't in good conscience see recommended by tankslapper without at least a dissenting opinion to make Yamaboy aware of both sides of the coin. It should also be noted that Jer was humble enough to not try to step up and say MX-Tech is where you should send your suspension since his company was not in Yamaboy's original list.

tankslapper

Aug 20, 2002
looks like the MX-Tech gang are here again Yamaboy!

"the p.a. guys that i have have seen will jump at any chance to put stickers on any bike."

you try asking the franchise on Riverside CA for fork stickers then, he would not put any supension stickers on the bike unless they had actually performed work on the bike because the technician did not want people thinking they had got Pro-Action in their suspension when they had not. I could not care less where Yamaboy goes for his work doing but it is wrong to discredit people in this way, this is getting way too deep as Yamaboy was asking for suggestions and I gave mine only to have Jeremy and now the rest of the crew taint my recommendations. I have looked back at the previous threads as Chilli suggested and you don't have to be a brain surgeon to realise there is a personal thing going on and surely this forum is not the place for that.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Originally posted by tankslapper
I am only answering Yamaboys thread from experience.
How is that any different than this?
Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
Yamaboy from the companies listed RG3 is the only way to go. Pro-Action does very poor work.

I've meet Rob a few times now and riden some of his work, its very good!
or
Originally posted by Rcannon
I think the pro action is hit and miss. Personally, I would send my stuff to jeremy.
or this
Originally posted by marcusgunby
The last pro action shock i serviced didnt have the pro action piston but did have the 3 stage valving.I really hope he wasnt charged for a new piston.
The point is that everyone here can share their experience. Making a decision on other folks' experience was the point of Yamaboy's question. So far he has two highly recommended companies and a company with mixed reviews. It's HIS decision.
Originally posted by tankslapper
this is getting way too deep as Yamaboy was asking for suggestions and I gave mine only to have Jeremy and now the rest of the crew taint my recommendations.
Why, because their experience and opinion differs from yours? Paaalease! :p

Yamaboy

Jun 12, 2001
Thanks for the responses. I was leaning toward RG3 becuase I recently read that their top clamp and bar mounts were totally top notch. This lead me to believe that they produce quality service and products. I appreciate all the input regarding personal experience.

Mr. Wilkey, I didn't list MX-Tech simply becuase I don't know that much about it. It was implied though in the "etc." portion of my origianl post. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to who uses it, where you are located, and do you have some info online?

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Yamaboy,

Don't take this as a slam, but did you read the title of this forum before you posted your question? It reads "Suspension Q&A with MX-TECH's Jeremy Wilkey".
:think:

And to "Tankslapper".....is there any correlation between the fact that you use Pro-Action Suspension, and your screen name?

:thumb:

gpsgeorge

Jun 7, 2002
you try asking the franchise on Riverside CA for fork stickers then, he would not put any supension stickers on the bike unless they had actually performed work on the bike because the technician did not want people thinking they had got Pro-Action in their suspension when they had not.

Oh Really, "tankslapper"? And BTW I'm not in the "MX-Tech gang". I can tell you that here in MN the PA franchise has told riders with stock suspension to put PA stickers on because they will "watch their bikes on the track to see how they are working". Furthermore they will also take the first chance they get to rip off a competitor's stickers that may have stock or RT valves to put a PA sticker on. Then when they see the durable and clean RT oil come out of a shock or fork they say "that stuff must not be working". This is in addition to PA using strong arm tactics such as bad-mouthing competitors, and telling customers "don't be a traitor and go to so and so ."

I believe Jer's twist is two fold:
1. in the quality (or lack there of )products PA uses and
2.the total lack of any sort of ethics from at least some PA franchises.

And Yamaboy, if price is a major consideration, I'll go along with Jer and say RG3 is not a bad choice.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I have ha d 4 bikes done by MX Tech 00,01,02 YZ250's and a n 01cr250 If I had to grade there work I would give them A+ on the 00and 01 YZ250's B on the CR250 and F 0n the 02YZ250 its been back 3 times and still does not work properly.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Service after the sale, has got to be a priority. Everyone rides different, on varying terrrain, with different requirements. This forum is a front door into MX-Tech, 24 hours a day, 7 day's a week. And thats not even mentioning, you can call Jeremy at the shop, or e-mail him. Hell, he will even e-mail you back! I have used most places in the industry, at one time or another. You simply cannot beat the support offered by MX-Tech.

IRISHCOFFEE

Aug 3, 2002
i do not know jeremy but his franchisee in Lafayette,la. is a champ regarding ethics. he revalved my 01 cr250 three times getting worse each time. we mutually agreed to go back to stock and he refunded my money in full. i believe this is all anyone can do. for me mx-tech technic did not work but the experience was still positive.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom