Who stops riding due to the summer heat?

psdzorb

Dec 3, 2005
In the Southern Calif desert it is already too hot to ride during regular hours. Me and my ridding buddies will occasionally take off at sun up (6:30) and be back by 9. We take plenty of water, tools etc. Don't want to be stuck out in the middle of the Mojave in the summer for very long. Else you may be looking for a ride back in via a rescue chopper!

domino dave

Sep 24, 2003
Just today I pulled out the boat and cleaned it. Water skiing is what keeps me in shape for my riding season,which starts again in the Fall. -Domino

droopie69

Aug 19, 2002
Kwakasaki said:
Hey Memfrica, where do you ride at?

All the MMC places...Saulsbury, Slayden, Somerville, plus Trace State Park in Pontotoc and some of the guys I know head over to Westpoint, TN and a few places over in Ark. if they feel like hitting some rocks!

How bout you?

Jonny-K5

Feb 28, 2006
i ride all year round in the CA desert. usually camp for the weekend, gets 100-110 in july/august.its a dry heat tho, so it isnt as bad as some places. we bring one of those shade tents for mid day, makes a big difference. other than that, just stay on your bike and the wind will cool you down.

oldturtle

Sep 11, 2005
Live in Northern Calif.
Oct-Apr ride Nor-Cal mountains dirt bike
Nov-Apr ride Southern Cal desert and dunes dirt bike and quad
June-Sept ride Oregon dunes quad
Year round ride dual sport bike north or south
Year round ride road bikes
No time to worry about getting out of shape, retired and just gradually getting older and slower, but still doing it. Rode 350 mile dual sport ride last weekend. This weekend it will be road bike.

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Okiewan said:
In Texas, we ride before noon.

I ride all day w/ vented pants or shorts/ thin t-shirt in 100+ weather. Mostly trails so Theres plenty of shade for the most part. Although I've been known to jump in several ponds to cool off while taking a short break. :nod:

Bailey28

May 1, 2005
not me...

I live in Gainesville FL, and ride only from late September to May-ish. This year it was crazy-hot in April, with 88 degrees being the highest I noted at the local track.

Bike gets put up, gas drained and any service work or mods get done during this "down" time. I have a street bike that I continue to ride during this time.

I recall going into the Ocala national forest last summer during late June, daytime to test suspension upgrades and almost not coming out of the forest due to mild heat stroke. I drank a gallon of water, etc. but still felt like I was going to pass out. This was after one hour of sand whoops testing. No thanks, I'll wait for it to cool off some.

Lambkawi

Oct 31, 2005
Some of us here in Montana ride year round. Slotted hex screws in the tires for the winter,and warm gear. Summer time is 100 degrees sometimes. No screws in the tires but some loose ones in our heads and plenty of water in the camelpack!
Not riding for more than 2 weeks and I get ants in my pants and the wrong side of the bed syndrome. Down right depressing. Ride on!!!!!!:ride:

Kwakasaki

Aug 22, 2004
droopie69 said:
All the MMC places...Saulsbury, Slayden, Somerville, plus Trace State Park in Pontotoc and some of the guys I know head over to Westpoint, TN and a few places over in Ark. if they feel like hitting some rocks!

How bout you?

Spoke to someone this weekend about joining MMC to have some places to ride. Right now we ride at Sugar creek but it is getting boring fast!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom