cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
The shock on my KDX200 seems like it's sticking. The sag is quite low, and suspension is not very moveable. Could the linkage bearings be frozen, or could the shock be broken somehow? I guess I need to start pulling parts off.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
First off (sez me) see if it's sticking or your sag/clickers are just goobered.

Unload the supension, unclick it full out etc. to see what's going on.

If you have no charge left cuz you either blew something out or leaked it out...you do NOT want to ride it until you fix it.

You've priced shocks?

Lotsa bucks!!!

Yes, the linkage bearings could be toast. When was the last time your '98 was greased?

Never?

Yep. It's all toast.

You'll be lucky (if the answer is 'never') if you get your swingarm off without using a hacksaw blade.

Sorry 'bout that. IF that's the case, now you know the time to grease it the first time was before you rode it......right? :(

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
Yep ... the swingarm bearings were toast. They came out okay, but 2 out of 6 were in bad shape. The shock is fine thank god. A Moose linkage/lower shock kit is on the way.

Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re 2 of 6

The two for the unitrack knuckle, or just one side of the swingarm?

If just two on the swingarm, probably the chain side?

Yep. You're lucky.

As long as the swingarm is out, certainly take care of the unitrack, too!

Your bottom shock bearing is good? That's a surprise. It has a MUCH harder life than the swingarm bearings.

BTW...the steering head is a known weak spot for grease, too. While you're waiting, take that apart, too. Maybe your bottom stem bearing is still good, too!

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
I meant the link bearings were toast, and the shock itself was good. The lower shock bearing was virtually gone, and I may have to put a sleeve in the link. The swingarm bearings were a little dry, but otherwise fine. Yep canyncrver ... next stop ... steering stem.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense while the previous did not.

Anyone else reading this should be paying attention! Very likely your linkage is in as bad a shape as cadjocky's.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom