Winterizing Your KDX Tips???

NODDY

May 30, 2001
Anyone have a good list of maintanance to perform prior to storing
your bike?:silly: It sounds overly simple but one tends to forget and I was wondering if anyone had a checklist of sorts????:confused: Thanks

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
easy, simple

depends on whether you're gonna ride it or not, and if so..., WHERE you're gonna ride it. if you're gonna ride it in freezing weather..., you'll need more feedback than i can give you. there were a couple of good threads recently that discussed the carburetor icing up.

wash it..., dry it. make sure the oil's clean. lube everything that needs lubrication (steeering head, suspension linkage, chain, footpeg pivots, rear brake pedal pivot, wheel bearings & seals). clean up the countershaft seal, shifter shaft seal, and front fork slider seals with some photo-film and a q-tip. throw some Sta-Bil in the gas (although many/most premix oils already have a similar component). drain the fuel system completely if it'll sit all winter. i always drain the float bowl between weekend rides, anyway. disconnect the gas line if it's gonna sit for a month or longer. make sure the air filter's clean (leave it dry if the bike will sit all winter). i like the idea of lowering air pressure to 10 pounds or less. make sure your anti-freeze mix will stand the expected temperatures (or just drain the system, if you're gonna let it sit all winter). you ARE using anti-freeze, aren't you? if not..., make absolutely sure you drain the system, if it'll be exposed to a hard freeze while sitting all winter. store the bike where it's warm if you can. store it away from any electric motors (ozone will kill the tires).

geez..., can't think of anything else. there's gotta be more!

or just ride it & maintain it like usual!

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
Put the bike on a stand to take a load off the suspension all winter. Go over everything and just check stuff out and replace what needs to be replaced.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: stabil

..and
although many/most premix oils already have a similar component..

I don't know this to be untrue...don't know it to be true. I've heard it before. Don't know what the 'component' would be or how you'd know it was there...or not.

I DO know that stabil works! I've taken apart carb racks on UJMs (Universal Japanese Motorcycles...like most any transverse 4s) after they've sat for a year and cleaned out the tons of junk stuck everywhere in the carbs.

And I've 2-pull started engines that have sat for OVER a year that had stabil in them.

Cheap insurance, then.

jimicarl

Aug 7, 2001
i concur

better to be safe than sorry. never had a problem with TO MUCH sta-bil!

kind of like having to much fun. no such thing!

Top Bottom