Headset

Jan 19, 2005
Does anyone know if the rings that come with the Wiseco piston are top or bottom specific like the stock Kawasaki rings are?
Also, are the Wiseco rings "this side up" specific?
I have e mailed Wiseco, but have not received an answer and the instructions that came with the piston make no mention of ring orientation.

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Actually, the small instructions that come in the ring package for the Wiseco piston say that the rings are interchangable top to bottom and that there is no 'right side' up or down. The writing on the ring makes no difference.

I just did this last week and I remember asking the same question as you did until I found the instruction pack.

Hope this helps,
Chris

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
cyber104,

Just for your own reference, it is a industry standard that the markings on a piston ring face up. this goes for all piston ring manufactures I know about. And on some rings it defiantly makes a difference, so it is a good idea to always follow a known practice.

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Hi Again:
Although this may be an industry standard, the following is verbatim from Wiseco....

"Unless otherwise noted, all Wiseco 2-cycle rings can be installed with either side up"

In this case, these instructions can be followed.....

Just an FYI :-)

Chris

shr

Uhhh...
Apr 8, 2002
cyber104,

I don't think you quit understood what I was trying to say. I was just stating that it would be a good practice (for all) to install their rings with lettering and numbering markings facing up. Because putting rings on OEM pistons upside down can be fatal.

Some rings have bevels some have tapers and putting these rings in upside down can cause problems.

This is why I said what I did, not so much for you, but because some people that don't rebuild engines on a regular basis might remember you saying that it does not matter which way rings go.

Even though you were talking about Wiseco two stroke pistons in general. The other occasional people doing their first top end or the person that does not do it on a regular basis, may remember what you said about this subject and think it does not matter which way rings go even on an OEM piston.

Enough said.

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
...you are correct, there would be no harm in installing all rings with the numbers up.

...But on the flip side to what you said I would hate to see someone tear their engine back apart because they forgot if they put the numbers up.

My point was, in this case it does not matter...and that was the original question :-)

Chris

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
why new rings on 05 KDX220???

Under stand both the question and the feed back, however, why new rings etc on a 05 KDX 220?
I have a 220R, with six hours on it , is there someting I should know ( been out of touch for a while)

css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Some say that the stock piston can fail. I dont think that alot have had this problem, Not enough for me to tear down a new engine anyway.

ELF

cyber104

Jan 16, 2005
Yes, preventive maintenance was the reason I did mine on my 2001 with <80 hours.

I got the KDX, started participating in this website, got the pants scared off of me hearing horror stories of piston breakage, and decided that I would replace the piston in a practically brand new engine.

Yes, I had second thoughts but it was winter, I wasn't riding and needed something to do :-)

Hope this helps

MY KDX 220 R

Feb 9, 2005
I have recently joined and have read just about the same as cyber104.
Well, we are going into spring and I will not be replacing the piston etc, at least not in the near future.I will be riding caually - no racing - should I have any problems, will post.
When I do the piston etc, it will be when I have decided to do the exhaust and carb' mods.
( can't wait to do this either though)

Later.

Headset

Jan 19, 2005
Here is what Wiseco had to say

Here is what Wiseco tech support had to say
"...the 1st and 2nd ring are identical and bidirectional. However, I strongly recommend that if there is a dot an 'n' or some numbers, at the end of the ring; that those markings face up." "...It is just good practice to always have markings facing up on a Wiseco ring..."

Jan 16, 2005
I have an 05 220 too with about ten hours on it...I will also be a volunteer monkey and see how the engine holds out bone stock for the upcoming season with just regular maintenance. :ohmy:

mayj

Feb 24, 2003
I purchase an 01 220 with 8 hours on the motor and I rode it twice a week for two years. When it finally started losing compression and getting hard to start I replaced the piston and rings with a Wiseco. The old piston looked fine. However, I think the skirt is so long that if you let the rings get too loose there is a chance the skirt could hit the cylinder wall and cause the cracking. Plus I live in Florida so the trees and terrain prevent a lot of high revving shenanigans.

Top Bottom