redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
buy a service manual and follow. it is simple.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
If a girl can do it..........you can do it! :)

The only mistake I made, which was a very expensive, amateur mechanic mistake, was either over working the circlip that holds the wrist pin in the piston or I never seated it all the way in the groove. Not really sure which one it was, but it was the side I had problems getting the clip in. The other thing that confused me abit was aligning all the intake/outtake valves(or whatever they are called) for the KIPS, it was difficult for me to realign everything correctly, I ended up calling Jeff Fredette and he walked me thru it the best he could, SUPER nice guy! If you don't get them realigned right, you will lose power, which was the whole reason I was doing mine anyway!

I did take some digital pictures as I went along, so I had something to reference to. Also, I used Candian Daves Tech Tips for the top end, that was a huge help! And of course the manual! I used mostly brake cleaner to clean the KIPS parts, the main valve was really carboned up, I even had trouble getting it out. I think I used some oven cleaner on that and a brillo pad to clean it up.

It ended up costing me about $4-500 to do it myself :bang:
Compared to the $125 or so it should have cost me! Had to get a descent used jug from Fredette since I scraped mine and my new Wisco piston. Oh well, I chalked it up to being a very expensive learning experience.I would do it again and not make the same mistake(I hope!) My husband said he would trust me to do his in his KTM :laugh:

Good luck!

Top Bottom