Jul 25, 2005
I am going to buy a wiseco piston for my 220. it scares me to touch the motor because of the kips. how difficult is this task to clean the whole thing do the piston and put it all back together. do i need a repair manual or is it pretty simple.thanks :)

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
if you have done it before it is simple, but you probably can figure it out, i just got my manual so if you got a question i will look it up for you. By the way were are you getting the kit? and for how much??

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
It is very easy to do. Just take your time, take pictures of the pv parts so you can remember what goes where. Don't drop anything in the crankcase and you'll be good to go. It is really very easy to do. Once someone has done it before a top end usually doesn't take more than an hour.

good luck

Yamadad

Jul 17, 2005
I watched a mechanic do it and he didn't even touch the KIP valve. He disconnected it and left it intact. As I remember there's an activation rod that just unhooks and then the head can be lifted straight up and off.

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
Not a hard thing to do at all, but if you don't have it yet get the service manual. It won't give you instructions on rebuilding but will help you take apart and clean 9/10 of your bike. If there are no scratches in the cylinder then it's nothing more than a replacement of the piston and seals but if so you would need to get it machined at a shop. I'm pretty sure the KDX top end can be machined but I've never had to have it done to mine so I'm not 100%. Good luck.

captbly99

May 30, 2005
My one word of advice, is be VERY careful putting the circlips in on the end of the wrist pin. DO NOT over work them, like squeeze them too much and make sure you have them in the grooves all the way. That was my biggest, most expensive mistake doing my first top end job! :bang: Other than that it was pretty easy and I did take my KIPS out and clean them up. The one problem with that is putting them back in and making sure you have the valves lined up right in the ports, making sure they are both set in the closed or open positions, because if they are not, you could loose power.

AND to top it off........I did all that, I am a female :yikes: If I can do it you can do it! :laugh:

captbly99

May 30, 2005
PS. if you haven't already, check out the justkdx home page under tech tips, top end tips and top end pictoral, LOTS of info, BIG help. I also took some digital pics as I went along.

Top Bottom