Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
We ended up in Arkansas over the 4th on a last minute decision. They still have several of the trails shut down from the ice storm several years ago and did not open up any of the new trails like I read about. We chickened out and stayed in a motel since the whole family went. I was glad I had access to a swimming pool after a long days ride. It was hot so we consumed the water supply after a couple of hours. I bought my boy a new bike, boots, and pants here recently and he burned a hole in his new bike britches on the 1st outing. He was on a new bike and complaining about the hot boots and pants the whole time. He will adapt.

All and all it was about a good time. We spent more time in the pool than riding.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Hey, that's great, Randy. Hope your boy had a good experience. My sons and I spent three days at Muenster in the heat, but still enjoyed it thoroughly. Went through about 20 bags of ice, though. How about a ride report on the trails around Wolf Pen Gap? Lots of single track? What's the topography like? Much like Talimena area? Lots of rocks? Stream crossings? Lots of bikes on trails? Did you see any Forest Rangers or other enforcement types? Let's have the scoop.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
Munster must have been an oven. Was the creek cool. I would have beek looking for a water hole to lay in.

The trails were all ATV wide and some 4x4 wide. The terain is real hilly with lots of errosion ditches making it fun to jump . It resembeled the Talimena area except the paths were well beaten down. Some small creek crossings. Lots of big moutains with steep hills to climb with switchbacks and rocks and rocks. Most of the rocky areas were on the mountain tops. Almost too much for my boy. It wore him down in the heat bad. The hills could be avoided if necessary but that would eliminate much of the trails. The trails are well marked and easy to follow if you have one of the good maps found at the trail heads. It would take you almost all day to cover all the trails once.

There were too many 4 wheelers and very few bikes on the holiday weekend. We come colse to getting plowed into one time because of all the hills and blind corners.

We did not see any rangers or anybody cause there were more than a few 4 ATVs on the roads looking for a ticket.

The trail heads are close to town with motels, resturants, and a Wall Mart. You could always stay cooschy at a motel with a pool and soft bed with a TV.

Time to get back to work. Lunch is over.

Mudd Slinger

N. Texas SP
May 5, 2004
This was my second trip there. It is a good place to take a family.

I liked staying at the Wolf Pen Camp Ground better. I don't have to load and unload bikes. You jump on a bike and go up to the riding area.

The inverted V cabins are kind of different, but they are clean and cool (good ACs). They are usually booked for the holidays but are usually open on off-hoilday weekends. Call a week in advance to be sure you get a reservation. They have tent areas, RV areas, and larger cabins with kitchens. It was less expensive than the motel room.

If you like it a little rougher (no bathrooms), we go up to broken bow and stay at a remote area on the lake that I really like and it it free with the excetpion of the riding (land use) fee for that county. There is lots of dirt road, ATV, single track, and almost no track areas (old grown in logging roads and fire trails) to ride. You can take a trailer in there. I seen a few back there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom