dewetd

Jun 20, 2005
Hi

I am fairly new to this hobby and I am realizing how much effort it can take in comparison to something like golf, for instance.
Never the less, I will remain strong and focused...for another week or so...then I will probably break down and try to end it all!
On a serious note: My problem is this: The other day I was practising some wheelies. After about 15 minutes the KDX stalled.
I was under the impression that it had run out of gas...maybe it did. I tried starting it up about two weeks later again- without success. It just will not start. I tip the bike on it's side first for a couple of seconds, then I KEEP the choke up and kick it a couple of dozen times. No success. I have replaces and checked the plug (makes decent spark)...still no success. My question is this, can the carb be dirty or blocked? Would the bike just have stopped functioning completely? Wouldn't the performance rather have deteriorated slowly? I am based in the Western Cape, South Africa...temperature might have gone down with 7 degrees Celsius, but I have previously not once had problems starting it- morning or afternoon. It ran without any problems. I am taking the carb apart tonight. If it is not the carb, where should I start looking. I don't think the previous owner had serviced it for at least a year until I bought it.

Regards
De Wet
KDX200 1999

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
When you say "Stalled" did the bike make any loud or unusual sounds?? did you dod a compression test yet? Clean the carb, check the float level & fuel valve (The little bullet shaped thing that the float tang presses against. Check your air filter also, then the reeds if that does not work. Most likely it is something simple, but the hard part is finding it. Oh yeah, STUPID Question "YOU GOT OIL"????

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
most people i have heard from dont need the choke to start there bike. so you may be flooding the carb. Try it without choke. I also had this problem yesterday after doing really big wheelies. But i soon relized i was out of gas. So maybe if you are not out of gas your fuel line could be clogged. Check all your lines and make sure they are clean, how does you air filter look?

John Cena

Nov 11, 2004
Remove an clean your spark plug, then pour a little gas into the cylinder/sparkplug hole then put your spark plug in and give her a few kicks should fire up :cool: my bike when I ran it outta gas then filled her up wouldn't start till I did the above thing. :yikes:

Your reeds might also be worn out.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
JOHN CENA

Aww, you done did it now
Chaos you shoulda put this one in the vault man!
They not ready - they don't know what's comin man!
Oh we gonna drop this on 'em right here
Y'all ain't ready for this, Y'ALL AIN'T READY FOR NONE OF THIS!

Your boy's a bad man, and we invadin the streets
Make unclever rappers scurred, they be droppin the heat
Shocked the world, now I'm standin alone
I flip fools like them clamshell cellular phones
You can't help but nod your head to the track
**** the watered down rap, we be takin it back
Give it to me straight - ain't no chasin it
Check yourself in the mirror - ain't no facin it
Cause you, playin the role and you plannin to fold
This the masterplan, we got the planet on hold
We all over the streets like your favorite sneaker
Breakin up your sound like a drive-through speaker
Everything that I be spittin is strong
After I rock, fast forward through the rest of the song
We the monkeywrench, that's gonna ruin your plan
And don't **** with John Cena - I'm a BAD, BAD MAN

[Chorus 2X: Bumpy Knuckles]
With the mic in my hands I'm a bad man
Even in a fight with the hands I'm a bad man
Livin in the streets all my life I'm a bad man
I'm a bad man, I'm a bad man

[Tha Trademarc]
We devils - rockin ambient levels
We set loose among hot tunes to instrumentals
And cats got one-liners, I drop several
And I think it's funny you choose, losin progress
or runnin in place; we makin moves, and y'all settle
I rip rappers and take responsibility
for makin future hall-of-famers look third rate
Y'all are lost for words like conversation on your worst first date
and ride beats, creep through side streets
Looseleaf notepads that's where rhymes leak
Punchlines - man, don't even beg
I got knee-slappin tracks, y'all brusin your leg
You a rhyme writer - funny man, that's a joke
You ain't worthy of bein my secretary man that's a quote
I flood tracks like cracks in boats
And ***** rappers choked up with they own lines in they throat

[Chorus]

[Bumpy Knuckles a.k.a. Freddie Foxxx]
TURN UP THE MICROPHONE and see me I'm a beast
MC's and they beats is what I eat, 16 I'll leave you in the street
My rhymes are sicker than gangrene in both feet
It's spreadin up the leg, and headed for the head
Your rhymes are whack your style is proof that the brain corrosion
is ****in with your chosen flows, I'm nice with mics
My hands'll break your nose like Mikey Tyson
Fightin in his prime, one rhyme
And I shake up the room one time, BOOM! To the jaw
Your face is a coat type raw
And the blood and snot they mix, jelly on the floor
My love is cop them bricks, belly on the floor
I rob you, you soft and you really ain't a problem
I solve you, 357 long nose revolve you
Acid in your face, bad look, dissolve you
I'm a bad, bad man

Yeah, check it out
It's Bumpy Knuckles baby
And I want you to say hello to the BAD, BAD, MAN - C'MON!

CHAIN GANG in the HOUSE

dewetd

Jun 20, 2005
Thanks everybody
Cleaned the airfilter and turned the airscrew in yesterday...and it started.
I have to turn the airscrew out about 2 3/4 of a turn for the perfect idle setting. This is a little more than what manual advises. I read somewhere it could be the Floats that are damaged and thus simulating a rich jet setting. Will take the carb apart and check. Also read that if you leave the fuel tap on that you might run into trouble.
Thanks again to everybody and to the creator/s of this site!

De Wet

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
'Perfect idle' is not achieved by adjusting the air screw (the small brass one). Adjust the air screw for off-idle throttle response, period. 'Screw' the idle at that point. ;)

Adjust the idle with the idle screw (the black, nylon one).

dewetd

Jun 20, 2005
> Adjust the idle with the idle screw (the black, nylon one).
That's what I did. OK, so that is not the airscrew?!?!?
> Adjust the air screw for off-idle throttle response, period.
Thank you- it's starting to make sense...

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
re: 'That's what I did. OK, so that is not the airscrew?!?!?'

That is correct.

re: 'Thank you- it's starting to make sense...'

Great!

Adjust your air screw (small brass one) first, then the idle screw (black nylon).

You may read an adjustment method that says to adjust to air screw to 'high idle' (yes, adjusting the air screw will change the idle speed). That (high idle) will get you in the ball park, but the better adjustment will likely be in a 'tad' from that.

Used to be called 'lean roll' adjustment in auto carbs. Same applies to the KDX..you will likely end up about 1/4 turn IN from the high idle spot.

The only way you will know it's right is by judging the throttle response change. At a slow walking speed in 2nd gear you should be able to quickly open ('wick' is a common slang kinda term used sometimes) the throttle from idle to a bit under 1/2 open and the bike will respond without a bog or 'boooo-waaahhhh' sound.

It is an air screw, NOT a fuel screw (some carbs have the latter). The further out the screw is, the more lean the idle circuit (largely the pilot jet) is. Obviously, the further IN the screw is, the more rich the circuit is.

If your pilot is way off base, the air screw will not have the adjustment range (meaning response effect) it should have. The OEM jetting is a 48 pilot. That's too rich for practically any situation.

Rule of thumb on the OEM PWK: If you're more than a couple turns out, the pilot is too rich (the idle circuit is wanting more air or less fuel). If your less than one turn out, the pilot is too lean (the idle circuit is wanting LESS air or MORE fuel).

You won't be lean with a 48 pilot! Well, that is possible, but you likely have some other problem if you are (carb boot leak for example).

Adjust the pilot s-l-o-w-l-y. Don't yank it around 1/2 turn at a time, ride for 20' and think you've determined anything. Change it by 1/8s at the most..ride it for a minute or two, THEN decide if it's better or worse (throttle response) than it was.

Cheers!

Top Bottom