WoooHooo me Tooo. New 01KDX220R

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
I guess I'll have to change my profile..
I just picked up a brand stink'n 01 220R.

I have...
oiled air filter.
cleanned disk brakes.
re-lubed swing-arm with Belray waterproof grease.
re-packed front steering
adjusted all controlls
set race sag to approx. 100mm
gone through 1 heat cycle (break-in)

Now what??????
this is my first ever new 2-stroke so break-in is something I need advice on.

thanks
Joe

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Ok,,,I just finished the break-in. What a huge difference from the 1st heat cycle to the broken-in state. Once the engine loosen'd up a tad the power delivery was amazing..
This bike really is a torque monster down low. Ok ,so it lacks top end power in the stock form but hey,,,that's not to hard to rectify.
I found a huge difference over the '90 KDX200 in handling and suspension. The 200 most certianly has more top end with the bigger carb.
Ahhhh let the mods begin...I'll leave it in the stock state for sometime until I completely comfortable with the power ( like that'll take long).
Joe

Perk

~SPONSOR~
Sep 17, 2001
remove or modify that airbox lid. It's a good free hop up.

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
Frisbee the airbox lid
Put a Pro-Circuit pipe on
Put on a set of cool handlebars cuz the stockers bend easily
Dial in your jetting (if necessary)
Change mix to 40:1
Ride a long wheelie in 3rd and smile

Seeya

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Thanks
I'll assume the air box lid toss will add to the top end. Yes??

As far as a pipe...I'll hold off on that for a while..My 200 was piped and was too,,,way too loud.I really enjoy the hush puppy sound of the stock setup.
The jetting is a bit fat but then again it is in the mid 30's with high humidty.
Changing to a pre-mix of 40:1 will require a jetting change so I'll stick with 32:1 for now...thoughts???

thanks
Joe with the new 0h one!!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My '02 220R is stock except airbox lid has many large holes, and I switched to 40:1 after first tank using Mobil 1 MX2T. Many other KDX'ers use Mobil 1 at 40:1 with no problems, no spooge.

Order it direct from www.mscdirect.com for $3.83 per pint for quantities 12 and over. The Big Book Page Number is 2856.

Good luck!

- Bill

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Hey Smit-Dog, what difference did the air box lid mod make. I really like the stock set-up( so far ). The first thing I'll do is the air box.Then ratio and jetting to match.
My 200 was bought already mod'f'ied. I glad I have the option to make changes and still be able to work it backwards.

Joe

BucKat

~SPONSOR~
Mar 27, 2002
Hey Smit-Dog, what difference did the air box lid mod make. ????

I really like the stock set-up( so far but could use more top end ). The first thing I'll do is the air box.Then ratio and jetting to match.
My 200 was bought already mod'f'ied. I'm glad I have the option to make changes and still be able to work it backwards.

Joe

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom