speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
Is there any quick cure for worn splines to fix a slipping gear shift lever? Do I have to crack the case to replace the shaft or is it a matter of removing a cover?
Has anyone ever seen a spline broach that perhaps I could just hammer to re cut some splines?
'93 kdx 200
'91 kdx 200 in need of a lot of love <this one :ugg:

Jason2001

Jan 3, 2001
Remove the clutch assy. and remove the shaft from the RH side. I've seen people weld levers on as a field fix - it's quick and dirty. I don't think that you really want to do that though. never seen a spline broach...

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
Try cutting more space in the gap in the shift lever with a hack saw or something similar so that you can tighten up up on the existing shaft. Also, sometimes a tiny strip of emery cloth around the splines before the shift lever is put on will be just enough to make it tight enough to hold. Someone will tell us that this is temporary because the crocus cloth will rot out, but then you can replace it. Maybe it will last long enough until you have to go into the cases for something else. Good luck.

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
Removal of that right hand side case is easy. It is just a clutch cover. You don't have to do anything witht the crank or the transmission. Do it right, if the hacksawing of the kick lever doesn't do the job.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
thanks for the help. I purchased a new shift lever and can't return it so when i do the recommended fix suggested here I will use it. until then I went ahead and bored out the old one to .562" and made a sleeve which I split after drilling out the screw hole. I made it undersize to the shaft so it would be a tight fit. There was not thread in the used lever so i used a 6mm bolt with a lock washer on each side and a lock nut. I cranked the nut all I could so I hope this holds till I can do it right. I think it will. I have a feeling that I formed what was left of the splines into the sleeve.
tom
93 kdx200
91 kdx200 still in rehab but getting better :thumb:

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
There are a couple things that come to mind. First would be to use an appropriate file to resharpen the teeth on the shaft. Second, given the shaft is worn and undersized the shift lever isn't going to fit properly and depending on how worn it is you'll very likely need to modify the shift lever so it can fit tightly again. If you look at the shift lever you'll notice its got a cut/gap on one side. Typically this gap squishes all the way shut if the shaft is worn and doesn't grip the shaft properly. If you enlarge the gap you'll prevent this and allow the shift lever to grip the shaft properly again.

I hope that helps,

David

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
I replaced my shifter shaft this year. It was not that traumatic (at least on a ’96). You have to pull the right side cover, the clutch assy , the idler gear, and a few clips and springs. The shaft just slides out. If you resist the temptation to unstack the clutch plates (though it is an ideal opportunity to inspect things), the whole process can be done in about 3 to 4 hours.

speedyts49

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2002
I like the tapped hole fix. I think you could of used dowel pins instead of buying the needle bearing set up but really the tapped hole is the best way to go in this situation. I may well do that on top of the sleeve I have now at least until its time to do the clutch.
Thanks to all for the great advice and help.
tom
93kdx200
91kdx200 still needing a rear wheel assembly.

Top Bottom