Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
I am curently running a 98 KDX 220 R and I am seriously looking at a 2002 WR 426. I ran dual purpose bikes for years and love the concept but lets face it dual purpose bikes leave alot to be desired in the dirt. My intial thoughts are to get a wr 426 and put a kit on it and license it for the street. Are any of you 426 guys dual sporting your bikes and how is it working for you . whats the best kit to buy and is it even worth going this route. I do alot of serious off roading but would like to a have the advantage to ride on the street. I want to hear any comments good or bad on this subject, and if any of you guy's have pics of your bikes set up for dual sport i would like to see them also. thanks:)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Sure Shot.

Good choice. The WR has the top end needed for running down the highway and still works great in the tight stuff. Great engine, you can plonk around at low RPM's or rev it til you see GOD. Baja Designs makes about the most complete and easy to install kit.

The bike works very good at the MX track also.

Just my $ .02

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Funny, after I got back from a short ride yesterday, I was in the garage thinking about how cool it is that my bike is streeted. Easy to cruise around, and awesome to turnoff into a trail and haul butt. My bike is setup for the dirt because I spend more time in it, but its great to have an awesome machine to ride in both. Im very happy with mine.

Good luck.

ThumpinTahoe

Jan 19, 2002
get one

I have installed a Baja designs on my xr 400 and love it. I never even know that I have it when I am riding the dirt other then when I flick the blinker on by mistake. I don't know how the wr works but if you live in Cal. make sure you by a california model, it will save you a bunch of agrivation at the dmv. Get ready to spend lots of time at the dmv trying to get the registration. Baja Designs sends instructions on exactly how to wade through all the legal bull in whatever state you live. I think you wr baja kit idea would be real cool.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
I have a '99 WR400 that is dual sported - works great. I can't imagine my a 426 would be any different.

I have Baja Designs kit on mine. My wife's XR250R has a BD kit and my '88 XR600 had a Baja Designs kit. The BD kit is very complete and well put together. You can do it yourself ( I have) but IMO you are money/time ahead to purchase the wiring harness from a reputable company. The only problems I've had with the dual sport kit is the rear blinkers - I kept breaking them until I installed a set of the flush mount (non DOT compliant) blinkers. I think I broke them by kicking them because it was only on my WR.

Brian

rmagers

Dec 3, 2001
I have an '02 WR426 with the Baja Kit. Finally had it on the road as of Friday. Here's a pic.
index.pl

Ron

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
rmagers, the bike looks great. Is that the stock headlight, and tail light. I thought the kit came with a brake light, and a high and low beam headlight. there are a couple of different kits, which is yours.

rmagers

Dec 3, 2001
Mine is the standard kit. It uses the stock headlight with a new bulb and the stock taillight. A metal bracket with a license plate light bolts under the rear fender. The stock headlight is not DOT but most inspection stations don't care just as long as it works.

utahwr

Mar 11, 2002
I currently have a street legal 2000 Wr 400. I did not buy a kit. The headlight has a dual element bulb you just have to wire it. I bought a headlight connector at an auto parts store and pulled one wire out of it and put it in the connector on the bike. ( thru a switch of course) The tail light has a brake element in it also, I just got a yamaha brake light switch from the dealer and mounted it by the brake pedal and wired it. Utah doesn't require turn signals if the vehicle did not come with them. You can mount a 6 volt horn and run it with a 9 volt battery. Throw on some DOT tires and you're good to go! This is a real good way to go, a real dirt bike that is street legal.

john mcdee

Jan 9, 2002
I am currently waiting for the Husqvarna te-450 thumpermto arrive in tne USA, if youbuy the husky it is easier to tittle for road use, also a little more money but available in Electric start. My Husky dealer here in pittlsburgh has a 2000 never used yet TE-400 with the factory setup for road use, He is selling it for $5700 dollars, if you dont want the road kit he will sell it for $5200, I would like to buy it but its not electric start, I will wait till the 450 gets here. Its $6600 + $500 for street kit + tax = $7600,00 for the ultimate ride,

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
The biggest mistake I made when I bought my WR was letting the local dealer plate it for me. I could have saved myself a few headaches and alot of time doing it on my own. If you want the details, PM me.

zsr

Mar 17, 2001
I've got a YZ 426F that I ride on road only. The gearbox is a pig but everything else is great fun. Talon rims fitted with Pirelli Dragons, not many sports bikes get away down the twisties - I've just sold my R1 and don't miss it.............much

Top Bottom